• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Power of a .54 Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was fortunate enough to kill a nice buck with my .54 flintlock using a .530 round ball with a .018 patch over 80 grains of Swiss FFG at about 60 yards..

Although I posted the fact I was blessed with success, I neglected to comment on the sheer power displayed by the round ball I shot.

The first photo below depicts how I found the buck - it had been completely flipped over onto its left side (entrance wound on the deer's right side) with its right front forelimb and hoof tangled in it's rack.

The lower photo shows the deer after I moved it to see the entrance would and take a photo with my .54 flintlock on top of the newly killed deer.

The point is the massive display of kinetic energy and knock down power generated by what amounts to an ancient technology.

If any one doubts what a big round ball will do and fairly short range, look at these photos. Absolute killing power, absolute knockdown power, absolute killing speed ... at least within the confines of a 60 yard shot. The ball struck the rear lobes of both lungs and shredded the front portion of the liver. I simply aimed broadside feeling I would hit some vital "innards." Luckily I did. And as they used to say "better lucky than good."

The overarching point I wish to drive home to my fellow big bore round ball hunters is .... feel confident when shooting a big round ball gun at medium to large North American game. If you hit the vitals, its lights out for your prey.

Good luck and good hunting.View attachment 46976View attachment 46977
Nice and clean....what we all strive for. SM

I had a guy tell me one time when he asked me how much powder I was using, that 80 grains of ffg was a " target load". To which I replied "youre right, and my targets are deer". He didnt know how to respond.

Ive had other people also tell me that less than 100 grains is too weak for a hunting load. That statement just gives away their ignorance. I dont even bother trying to educate them anymore because theyre idiots and wont listen to reason anyway.

I see this all the time too.
Here we have a late muzzleloader elk season, it is one of those "last chance" type seasons for many. They have zero interest in a muzzleloader except for the last ditch effort to fill their tag.
It can be both sad and comical to talk with some of them. For back ground, Idaho requires loose BP or sub, non-jacketed lead bullets within .010" of bore diameter, no 209 type ignition, and caps must be exposed when in the ready to fire position.
If you talk to very many of them you will hear some pretty incredible opinions. Every single one of them will make the same two statements:
You have to use max charge when hunting so you can kill them better and shoot farther and; that's just the best accuracy you can get with a ML when you can't use a _______. (Plastic wrapped thingy).
80% of them look at you like you just grew an arm out of your forehead if you tell them you're using less than 100 grains of powder and a PRB.

Picked up a TC 54 Cal Renegade from a forum member and got the load finished up last night. 80 Grains Olde E 3F .015 Patch with Track Mink Oil and a .530 cast ball. The 3f held a better group than the 2F and was a joy to shoot. Come Gun Season this gun will be my go to in my favorite thicket since I have never shot a Deer with A PRB you all will hear all about it if I am successful.

Back