• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picture of recovered 54 cal. Round ball and patch from my first Flintlock doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a gentleman posted here several years ago with a prb from a .54 PISTOL loaded with about 35 gr, that shattered a mulie leg and lodged under hide on the far side.

Yep, Mr Erhunter. Nice get there👍. Wonderful image of the flattened round ball too, showing individual hair imprints on the soft lead where it initially struck the hide. The 54 is an exceptional hunting ball. Mind, as many have acknowledged, so are the smaller calibres, used within their ethical limitations. Thanks for sending those images in; adding depth to your hunting narrative for sure.

This wild dog was shot as it came into water; 54 again, through and through, a bit thinner than a deer, and this a lean specimen. These dogs cause havoc in the calving season, killing new-born and chawing off the milky teats of the females.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 189343
Nice to see another Aussie on here

If anyone wonders the effectiveness of a 54 round ball check out the pictures! The doe was hit at 30 yards with 70 grains FF Goex and hit broadside. The roundball went through the rib cage on left side, through heart/ lungs, through rib cage on right side and stopped just under the skin on the right side. I hand cast my own balls and this one weighed 222 grains when poured. After the recovery it weighed 220.5 grains with a nice mushroom shape. The deer went about 50 yards. The patch I recovered also from the same shot.
Well done. Great to see the recovered ball.

If anyone wonders the effectiveness of a 54 round ball check out the pictures! The doe was hit at 30 yards with 70 grains FF Goex and hit broadside. The roundball went through the rib cage on left side, through heart/ lungs, through rib cage on right side and stopped just under the skin on the right side. I hand cast my own balls and this one weighed 222 grains when poured. After the recovery it weighed 220.5 grains with a nice mushroom shape. The deer went about 50 yards. The patch I recovered also from the same shot.
Good Shot , this picture goes to show how cohesive lead projectiles are and how well they perform compared with jacketed projectiles .

My little button buck shot from 50 yards he didn't take a step. Found it in the back of this skull. 54 cal .530 with 50 grains of my 2 1/2 F homemade brew, I pour my own lead.and make my own powder.

Attachments

• 20211206_154440.jpg
    20211206_154440.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211206_172558.jpg
    20211206_172558.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211206_175011.jpg
    20211206_175011.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 0
My little button buck shot from 50 yards he didn't take a step. Found it in the back of this skull. 54 cal .530 with 50 grains of my 2 1/2 F homemade brew, I pour my own lead.and make my own powder.
Was that cast with 100% pure lead ? Surprised there is no deformation of the ball , looks like you could load again.

Yep, Mr Erhunter. Nice get there👍. Wonderful image of the flattened round ball too, showing individual hair imprints on the soft lead where it initially struck the hide. The 54 is an exceptional hunting ball. Mind, as many have acknowledged, so are the smaller calibres, used within their ethical limitations. Thanks for sending those images in; adding depth to your hunting narrative for sure.

This wild dog was shot as it came into water; 54 again, through and through, a bit thinner than a deer, and this a lean specimen. These dogs cause havoc in the calving season, killing new-born and chawing off the milky teats of the females.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 189343
Wow! Aussies sure have some mean critters out there!

Latest posts

Back