• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Muzzleloading Shotgun, by V.M. Starr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
I like "skychiefs load" and reasoning. I also like the small book I just read by V.M. Starr. I will experiment with both mens' methods, keep my targets, record exactly what I did-range-etc., and make a final decision after a very long spell of pondering about the pro's and con's about each. No doubt, this book is a great read, took me an half hour or so, and was a good read, not boring at all. Lots of information to consider before even starting. If you shoot a shotgun or smooth bore, I believe it is worth your time to read. Thank God for all of you gents, and the Net! Without you all and the net, I would be a lost soul. But tomorrow, I have around 80 cushion wads soaked in olive oil, in a sandwich bag, ready for the hunt!

My dad gave me a copy of V.M. Starr's book many years ago. Mr. Starr wrote a number of hunting articles for Muzzle Blasts back in the fifties. All back issues of that magazine have now been digitized, and are available for reading on the NMLRA website. While Mr. Starr is best remembered for his monograph on the muzzle-loading shotgun, he was also a rifleman, and a prolific hunter in the western states. He could spin a good yarn.

The only thing to watch out for in processing the information in his book is safety. Standards were different back then. He loaded from the flask, which most of us don't do any more. Also, one essential component of his loading procedure was, after putting in the shot load and before you put in the over-shot wad, you "pucker up and spit" down each barrel. Please don't do that! Mr. Starr evidently believed, probably correctly, that the saliva would keep fouling soft and make the gun shoot better. You may want to modify the Starr method in this respect, and try to come up with an alternative lube and method of dispensing it.

Let us know how you do, what you discover, and what you recommend from your testing. I will look forward to reading what you have to say!

Notchy Bob

Back