• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

testing Skychief's special load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why the thin over shot card? Why not just the 1/2" cushion wad? I have tried this load without the thin over shot card and patterned better than anything I have tried. Guess I will have to add the thin over shot card and then the cushion wad and see. flinch

I don't recall if Skychief used the thin card, so I can't speak for him. I used it because my paper-fiber-cushion wads get quite soft when I soak them in olive oil, and shot can become imbedded in them. I use the thin card only as a barrier between shot and cushion wad for that reason, don't know that it does anything else.

Spence

I have been following this thread with interest has to the best load .Well here is my two pence worth which I have used for the past 68 years on all bore sizes from the 4 bore down to the 20 bore .
I always use a volume load that is the same measure that throws a set amount of powder will throw a volume load of shot. Powder is also a main factor and also barrel length for the 4 to 10 bores I use a Fg powder which is a coarse powder and for a 12 bore and smaller it is a FFg or medium powder.
To load after checking the gun over for any foreign matter {oil, etc.}I take the measured amount of powder this I follow with 2 number 1/8 card wads these should be lightly seated on the powder not pounded till the powder is more of a cake lightly compressed powder burns quicker ,Next is the felt wad personally I do not use then but if one is used it must be followed by a 1.1/16 card wad , if no card is used then the shot embeds in the wad and leaves the barrel like a bullet this will certain ally blow the pattern
Next use the same measure fill with shot and use a 1.1/16 card to finish the load . A coke gun always shoot better and if the wads become difficult to seat then use a greased felt wad if none is available a bit of spittle in the bore will help.
Has I said I have used the volume load for many decades not only in muzzle loaders but also in black powder hammer guns .
Feltwad

A punter shooting a big 4 bore have a go at a English game fair

Interesting, Feltwad, but have you tried the overload wad this topic is about?

For reasons that have not been figured out, placing a greased, thick, felt wad over the top of the shot load seems to greatly improve the shot pattern downrange.

Skychief is the first one to write about this, hence the name, "Skychief's Special Load".

I accidentally loaded this way for years (w/o the lube). Being a newbie I believed the thin over shot card went over powder and the thick wad over shot (had to be to hold the shot in place?) and it did work real well. Might be better with lube on the front thick wad? I will one day take my 20 out and try it again!

I'd try the Skycheif special if for nothing else just for kicks....might be surprised as have others on board here :idunno:

Zonie said:
Interesting, Feltwad, but have you tried the overload wad this topic is about?

For reasons that have not been figured out, placing a greased, thick, felt wad over the top of the shot load seems to greatly improve the shot pattern downrange.

Skychief is the first one to write about this, hence the name, "Skychief's Special Load".
No I have not tried this method to me it is just the same has not placing a card wad over the felt wad before the shot. to have a felt wad on top of the shot will surly be embedded with shot and then it will blow your pattern
Feltwad

As Britsmoothy says, testing this new (to most) concept has proven that it does greatly improve the uniformity and density of the shot pattern at distant ranges.

Everyone agrees that in theory, the heavy felt wad, loaded last, over the top card, over the shot, "should ruin the pattern because, being ahead of the shot and top shot card as it leaves the barrel it will disrupt the shot and ruin the pattern".

Tests however prove this idea is not correct.
Rather than disrupting the shot, it somehow seems to keep the shot from spreading as much as it does in a normal load.

Britsmoothy said:
You assume my friend.
It does work and work well.
I load thus now myself.
Maybe you should try it for yourself.

B :hatsoff:
I am shooting today and this weekend I will give it a try ,there is an old saying {You cannot learn an old dog new tricks }
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Britsmoothy said:
You assume my friend.
It does work and work well.
I load thus now myself.
Maybe you should try it for yourself.

B :hatsoff:
I am shooting today and this weekend I will give it a try ,there is an old saying {You cannot learn an old dog new tricks }
Feltwad
We are not dogs our friend, old maybe but not dogs.
Have a good time.

B.

My jug choked 12 didn't like the 1/2" wad but sure liked two 1/8" hard wads stacked on top of the shot. My jug choke never delivered like I had hoped it would but it sure does with a modified Skychief load.

Well I have given this method a try today .Using a sxs 12 bore percussion gun with true cylinder I found that a felt wad on top of the shot does blow the pattern. It caused many missed birds and too many wounded ,most of these birds were shot over decoys at a average of 30 to 35 yards so I changed to my own method of a 1/16 card wad on top of the shot which is a better load .
Feltwad

After reading back through this thread I think I have loaded my sxs wrong I missed of the card wad on top of the shot I put a felt wad straight on top of the shot. Has for the distance of 30 to 35 yards I will take this out to about 50 yards .This I will try this weekend has I am shooting both days .
Feltwad

The main factor in the special load seems to be the weight of the cushion wad over the shot. Skychief's results indicated that soaking it in olive oil until it reached its maximum weight seemed to be best. I first tried it with a dry 1/2-inch cushion wad and had unimpressive results, but that changed when I saturated the wads.

I'm not sure that felt, regular hard card or multiple thin overshot wads will give the same results.

Spence

:pop: :pop: :pop:
Will Feltwad be the exception to prove the rule? :idunno: I'm staying tuned...... :haha:

Good luck Feltwad!!!

Mr. Krewson, I've loaded with a couple of nitro cards on top of the shot before settling on the Special load. Killed a turkey or two loading way.
It tightened patterns too, versus conventional ways. Maybe that version of loading will work better out of jug choked guns. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

Back