• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Most Enjoyable Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
During the 72 yrs that I've hunted and after recollecting all my experiences, have determined what types of hunting were the most enjoyable.

Neglecting the hunts using modern guns, some of which were equal as far as the enjoyment to those in which MLers were used, I realized that only 3 types of hunting w/ MLers met the "most emjoyable" level.

In the 3 "most enjoyable categories" using MLers is elk hunting in the Rockies, many years of squirrel hunting w/ my flintlock and again many years of snowshoe hare hunting in winter w/ the same flintlock which was my first build.

Can't enumerate the preferences between the 3.... but elk hunting could have been first, but it was only a 9 day season and wasn't available every year. The scenic mountain views added much to these hunts...especially for a Midwestener.

Snowshoe hare hunting could also have been first but some years were on the population "down cycle" and during that time, very few snowshoes were shot. But being out in the snowy, very quiet woods had it's appeal and traversing the terrain on snowshoes added to the fun.

So....of the 3 types of hunts, squirrel hunting would have to be first....plentiful populations of both gray and fox squirrels, a long season in the ever changing colors of the trees and many beautiful sunny days would justify the #1 rating.

Equal to squirrel hunting was the pursuit of ruffed grouse w/ my English Setters, but this was done w/ either an over/under shotgun or a S X S which were modern guns. Both grouse and squirrel hunting were done alternately....many times depending on the weather. Very windy days gave the birddogs "fits"....hard for them to pinpoint the birds and the wind caused many wild flushes. So those days were spent in the quiet of the squirrel woods.

No longer hunt because of the macular degeneration in both eyes, but don't need to.....the memories are sufficient at this time......Fred

:hmm: Fred, I am nearly in the same boat as you. I may never get to hunt again, due to an accident in surgery where they made a hole in the lining of my spinal cord, I am in a wheel chair. My BIL says he can get me into a ground blind, but he only hunts with modern guns. Guess I am between a rock and a hard place.........robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, wonderful of you to share your reminiscences. In two days I will travel to SD again with my son for some pheasant hunting. Years ago I took him out of school, against his 6th grade teacher's wishes, to go hunting in SD. His son will be joining us for his first time there during the bird season. Since I have trouble walking because of breaking my back while living in SD, I will be content to be a blocker, a sitter, an observer. But also I plan to expose my grandson to the cap and ball fever from which I suffer.

My hunting experiences in a traditional manner are limited, but I agree thus far.

I can empathize with you. Physical problems have drastically cut my hunting the past few years. During that time I got out maybe twice a year.

Fred,
I am a "young buck" now but I hope some day I will be in your position. In November I am headed out to hunt cow elk in the Rockies with my father (70 years old) and my son (4 years old). We are hunting the regular rifle season, but I'll take the .54 Deer stalker in your honor.

Thanks Fred for sharing your thoughts and memories. I have been hunting since I was 9 years young and now at 57 years old I have more memories than my little brain can hold. Time spent hunting = precious moments alive. Greg :)

Thanks to all those who responded. I'm now 84 and have limited daily time because of my wife's illness...but do get in a couple of hrs a week on my present and last build.....an Optivisor is a neceessary item but eventually will need something w/ more magnification.

To be truthful....I was never a "sitter" and that's one of the reasons why deer hunting wasn't even considered among the 3 "most enjoyable hunts". Early on I lived in areas where one could still hunt by moving slowly, but those areas eventually were being used by too many other hunters.

Elk hunting was a "moving hunt" utilizing a cow call which enabled a "noisy hunt" because elk are normally noisy in their movements...unlike deer.

Duck and turkey hunting are sitting types of hunting and therefore not to my liking.

My squirrel hunting involved moving slowly when I was alone but w/ my German Shepherds, the pace was faster in order to keep up w/ the dogs....who were quite efficient in treeing squirrels. Actually, I preferred to hunt squirrels w/o a dog, but being a "meat hunter", they certainly were more productive than when hunting alone.

To those w/ physical impairments.....I feel your "pain"....Fred

Thanks for sharing, Fred.

I've had lots of good "hunts" including those where no shot was fired. Having to get close with a sidelock of any sort has made me quieter, and of course getting older has made me slower and maybe a bit more patient, so that has me more quiet too. THUS I have seen some very cool stuff that I would've missed (sure I did miss) in my teens and 20's. Wierd catapillers. Orange spiders. Different birds of prey and different wood peckers. Some sort of "game" between bluebirds and resting on the tops of fence posts. Curious fox, and chipmunks and squirrels. Buck rubs, bedding areas, the track of a bobcat (well it was a darn big kitty at any rate) etc etc.

THE WORST is on the rare days when I don't see anything..., no sign, and no critters, not even birds chirping. (Heck sometimes the bird antics alone make the hunt). As though the animals have all gone away. It's almost saddening. I figure it's a weather thing, but still can be disconcerting. Even with a good snow on the ground the sign from the field mice, or seeing a hawk is sufficient, but when you see nothing, not even geese winging South...sad.

LD

Latest posts

Back