• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The money shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Years ago I got into the habit of doing what I call the money shot. You know, one shot for all the marbles. That’s the situation when I’m hunting deer, when, except in very rare circumstances, one shot is all I get. My concern for a quick, humane kill, and the fear of wounding and losing an animal makes me feel I should do all I can to make certain I and my equipment are as ready as can be. So, after all the work-up is complete, the load is developed and the gun seems to be sighted in and hitting where I want, I look for an opportunity to make one final test, the money shot. I try to find a time to try just one shot under field conditions, to see if I really could hit that vital spot, first try. I’ve done it with most of the guns I hunt deer with, and, so far, the practice has served me well.

Original flintlock smooth rifle, 49+” barrel, 28 gauge, no rear sight, loaded with 90 grains 2F Goex, hard and lubricated cushion wad, ticking patched .535” round ball. Shot was sitting unsupported, using the ramrod as a monopod, 75 yards on a calm day, at dusk.

Phillips flintlock double 20 gauge shotgun, 32” barrels, no rear sight, 100 grains 2F Goex, 1/8” hard card, 1/2” lubricated cushion wad, ticking patched homemade .600” balls. This gun shoots 1 1/2” groups with both barrels at 25 yards, but 3” right with the right and 3 inches left with the left barrel, so some Kentucky windage is necessary to center the shot. Standing offhand, 25 yards.

Jackie Brown 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore, 46” barrel, no rear sight, loaded with 80 grains 3F Goex, brown paper wad, tow overpowder, .600” bare ball, tow overshot, 50 yards, shooting off my knees, sitting with my back against a tree.

J. D. Thompson flintlock rifle, .40 caliber Douglas barrel 42” long, loaded with 67 grains 3F Goex, cotton patched .395” home-cast ball. At the end of a deer hunt, dark, gusty day, winds 12 left, 100 yards, standing rest draped over the hood of my Jeep.

Anytime I flunk the money shot, it’s back to the drawing board.

Everybody knows you can't tell anything about a gun from just one shot, right? Wrong. If it's the final exam after a complete and thorough load work-up and sighting in, one shot can tell you all you need to know

Spence

I agree 100%. I used to have about six 3-D targets in the backyard for archery practice. I would get in a ladder stand and then direct my kids to place a 3-D deer, bear, or turkey wherever they wanted within 45 yards. I'd take one shot with my bow with no rangefinder. If I didn't make a heart/lung shot, it was time for more practice.

Grouping 4-6 arrows in a cluster proves almost nothing. It's the first and only shot that counts.
The same goes for a rifle of any kind.

do you take your money shot with the barrel cleaned like you would take it off the rack to load for the hunt?

Yes, I do. To be fair, though, in my shooting that has never seemed to be a problem. They seem to basically shoot to the same POI when clean or dirty.

Spence

For a lot of folks...That is a critical point worth emphasizing.
I have a dedicated hunting barrel for one of my T/C Hawkens, and shoot a pretty heavy hunting load.
When I'm preparing for a hunt and take that one to the range, I always make a point of paying particular attention to how the FIRST shot looks since that's the one I'll be taking at a critter.
Subsequent shots are "practice". The FIRST one, from the clean barrel is what your game animal is going to get. Not everyone can be sure the POI is the same whether it's the first or tenth shot of the day.

Spence?,,,that first target? Do it again!! LOL

Very nice and good post. I will have to do similiar. Drew muzzle loader deer again. Now to choose one of many favorites and start shooting ( :hmm: before or after I get "there" with my bow for archery cow?)

azmntman said:
Spence?,,,that first target? Do it again!! LOL
One of the advantages of the money shot is that you only have to do it once. :haha:

Spence

Great idea, Spence. That one shot is the shot that counts! Excellent shooting, by the way. :thumbsup:

Mooman76 said:
I've done it before also but I didn't put that much effort into it like you have.
We old people have to work hard to keep from being bored between seasons. :haha:

Spence

Why, RonRC, you act as though shooting a 10X with a 225-year-old smoothbore with only a barleycorn front sight is not something that happens every day. :haha:

Spence

Skychief said:
My only question is, how charred is the finish on your Jeep's hood? :hmm:
Not a problem, my guns are longer than the hood of the widest Jeep ever made. :haha:

Spence

This is a great thread Spence! I once drove for an hour to get to my gun range. Loaded up and shot my target off hand 50 yards out. Hit the bull dead nuts center. I fetched my target, loaded up my gear and headed home. Figured it just didn't get any better than that!

Skychief said:
Great thread Spence! :thumbsup:

My only question is, how charred is the finish on your Jeep's hood? :hmm:

Best regards, Skychief.

I often char the hood of my car out where I shoot. Not enough room in my car to carry out a shooting bench setup. It wipes off very easy as long as I have a coat of wax. First time I saw it, I thought I messed up the finish.
I also lay a blanket across the hood and with my shorter guns, it kind of shreds the blanket a little.

Back