• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The g in ffg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why it doesn't stand for grade. There's only two grades. G for sporting powder and A for blasting powder. You know what grade it is by the G or A.

Like I said. G is a grade. Just like A is a grade. Two grades. A&G.

Yep, but the original grade that got the first "G" designation was because it was glazed. A process applied to sporting powder, I e. gunpowder. Before the advent of glazing there was no "G" designation. Today glazing and graphite coating are the norm, so it has lost it's original designation.

Like I said. G is a grade. Just like A is a grade. Two grades. A&G.

If you look closely at the info I posted you'll notice that there are more than just A&G grades.

Wano, brand also has a P grade that stands for precision.

The military has their own grading system (numbered)

I'm sure there are other grades too.

If you look closely at the info I posted you'll notice that there are more than just A&G grades.

Wano, brand also has a P grade that stands for precision.

The military has their own grading system (numbered)

I'm sure there are other grades too.

Well, I got you calling them grades. ;)

Well, I got you calling them grades. ;)

Yes, the designation is a grade but the letter, number or name generally has meaning.
G means glazed or graphite because it is now glazed with graphite, it is a coincidence though that they both start with G.
P for precision
Whaling for waling
Cannon for cannon
Saluting for saluting
Blasting for Blasting.

Some of the designations are more obscure.
I have no Idea what A stands for. Maybe it was the first and they decided to start with the letter A of the Alphabet. Maybe that's the question we should be asking.

Joe....What does the g mean?

Me....It's a grade. G means glazed or graphite. There are many grades.

Joe...Thanks.

The G stands for Graphite coated powder as Zonie describes above.
But Zonies shared description above clearly states the "G" is for glazed?? Can you read? Why spread un-truth?
I mean, there's a lot of things people "want" to believe and that's OK,,
,but why change someone's words in plain readable type?

Last edited:
necchi, read the whole description again.

The last sentence "Powders with the "g" suffix have had both of these processes done to them."

I simply meant to say - Zonie has it right. I probably should have said - The G stands for for Graphite coated powder that is Glazed as Zonie describes above.

Now - Can you read?

Yes, the designation is a grade but the letter, number or name generally has meaning.
G means glazed or graphite because it is now glazed with graphite, it is a coincidence though that they both start with G.
P for precision
Whaling for waling
Cannon for cannon
Saluting for saluting
Blasting for Blasting.

Some of the designations are more obscure.
I have no Idea what A stands for. Maybe it was the first and they decided to start with the letter A of the Alphabet. Maybe that's the question we should be asking.

Clyde is right

"GLAZING" was done to powder before the use of graphite. Glazing is done to sporting black powder. IF the "g" stands for anything, it stands for glazing.

Whomever the "source" was which was mentioned in another reply post, the person at Hodgdon who said the "g" stood for "grade" was sort of correct..., it does note that the powder is for use as sporting grade, meaning for use in the firearms of the day when the g first appeared on labels..., but it didn't stand for "grade"... as that word alone is meaningless. "Sporting grade" does have meaning, and so otherwise why not label using both initials "sg", and end up with black powder labels reading "FFsg, FFFsg" and so on???

Note the emphasis sentence, I wrote "IF"..., back in the time when the "g" was added to labels, it could very well have been a case where the person making the labels simply selected the lower case g because it was close to him when setting up the printing press. 😶

LD

This post is a waste of my time really as Zonie and coloradoclyde have given the correct answer: g stands for glazed. Glaze is associated with glass or glassy. The polishing process during manufacture knocks of the corners and rounds off the powder grains giving them a shiny, glass like appearence hence the term glazed.

This term has been in effect for many, many years before Hodgdon acquired Goex. Look it up. See for yourselves.

After a bit of a search I ‘rediscovered’ this

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a150455.pdf
US Army study of BP. On graphite an extract says

Another characteristic of black powder is its graphite coat, and little information exists to describe this envelope or its function. One characteristic of the coating is to keep the grains from adhering to one another, and a second as an inhibitor,and as such, it is a very important part of black powder. To show the influence of this coat, samples of black powder were obtained just before graphite was added to the glaze barrel; these are called green grains, and later the corresponding graphited material was also selected. The flame- spread rates of these two samples differed by a factor of two showing the retarding effect of the graphite coat.

back to trigger polishing🤪

Latest posts

Back