• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"The Duelers Edge"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CARBABY

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any body ever heard of a dueling pistol with “an edge.” I’m coining the term here. The “edge” means the pistol is constructed with some kind of advantage for the shooter (duelist.) Supposedly in the Old World, the sport of pistol dueling became in fashion. First utilized were big bore pistols. The fashion to avenge ones insult by drawing blood and not necessarily dispatching or creating great ghastly flesh wounds became a more Gentlemanly way dueling. Smaller caliber pistols/duelers became more “sporting.” Somewhere along the line smooth bores where out, rifled bores in, and some say smooth Bores were preferred by more demur Gentlemen of the sport. “The Edge” dueler was Developed by some unscrupulous individual that had a barrel with shallow rifling at The rear portion of the bore and free bored (smooth bored) at the front. I ran into one Of these type pistols 30+ years ago at a local muzzle loading shoot. The shooting event utilized a long arm and side arm primarily with rifle/fowler/pistol/revolver all being
eligible and Handicapping implemented for use of certain type weapons. More handicap points for smooth bore, none for rifled bore. Enough of the handicapping at this time. Any way one pistol (an original) was suspect as being one of the so called “Duelers Edge” pistols. It was entered as a Smooth bore. Range officials looked at it and it was highly suspect. Back then no one had a little bore light that could be dropped down the bore for inspection. And from what could be deduced from the front of the barrelit looked like a smooth bore. The firing range was full of spent patches and those who Looked for tell-tale rifling indications on spent patches from said pistol were with-out consistent proof. THE QUESTION IS ~ Anybody have an info on this type of pistol? How far down the length of a 10-12 inch pistol barrel would have to be rifled, what turn, and how shallow (depth) the rifling. This pistol for a smooth bore would out shoot any other smooth bore pistol there. Enough, that if some one was shooting it at you melon (head), at 25 yards your days might be shortened.

I know of dueling pistols having partially rifled bores. The object was to attempt to conceal the fact they were rifled. The English and Irish Code of Honour strictly forbid rifling. Taking deliberate aim was also forbidden. In case either was used, it was an indictment for murder. If one of the duelists was seen taking deliberate aim, the Seconds could fire upon the offender for taking deliberate aim.
The practice died out around the end of the Civil War.

Think the original concept of dueling with the pistol was that God was on the side of whoever was in the right and the outcome was determined by divine intervention, not marksmanship. There were enough followers of "God helps those who help themselves" that pistols were built with rifling that stopped short of the muzzle as well as "scratch" or very shallow rifling that might not be detected. The particulars probably varied from pistol to pistol since gunsmiths probably didn't want to advertise what they were doing. Would make an interesting study if someone could put together a few of those pistols for comparison.

I remember being told stories when I was a boy about some dueling pistols being bored with the bore off center at the breech and on at the muzzle. Depending on how the barrel was mounted the pistol would shoot high or low or to the side unless you knew where to hold to compensate. This would give an edge to the pistols owner--assuming the story is true. You never know...

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
I know of dueling pistols having partially rifled bores. The object was to attempt to conceal the fact they were rifled. The English and Irish Code of Honour strictly forbid rifling. Taking deliberate aim was also forbidden. In case either was used, it was an indictment for murder. If one of the duelists was seen taking deliberate aim, the Seconds could fire upon the offender for taking deliberate aim.

-----------------------------------------------
[[[The practice died out around the end of the Civil War.]]]

the re-writing of the Confed state's constitutions during reconstruction outlawed the practice of dueling. this was in states where it was legal.

Hamilton was killed by Burr in a duel. They used Burr's pistols. The pistols had an "edge" the triggers were set triggers if you knew the secret. If you pushed forward on the trigger it cocked the mechanism and greatly reduced the required trigger pull. Both guns in the set were identical, but if you didn't know the secret you were out of luck.

This "edge" didn't come to light until about 15 years ago when someone took the guns apart to clean and oil them.

Many Klatch

Actually, the pistols belonged to Hamilton's brother-in-law, John Barker Church.

It would seem odd that hamilton did not know of the set triggers, since his son used them in a duel in 1801 and was killed.

It just may be that rather than firing his shot in the air as a gesture of honor, Hamilton accidentally fired his pistol, trying to "cheat", because of a too heavy finger on a "set" trigger.

As a result, Hamilton has come down in history as the innocent party, while, Burr's career was ruined.

The pistols, with their interesting brass forends, are now preserved by J P Morgan Chase & Co. The guns are on display in the Executive Conference center of 277 Park Avenue in Manhattan.

Old Coot

And by that point in time, the single set trigger was very well known. They wouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone at all familiar with firearms. The whole "secret of the triggers" thing is just folklore.

In my experience skill usually wins out over gimmicks. A man that is a good shot is awfully hard to beat no matter what he's shooting.

.....and I read that Hamilton used the set trigger and fired too soon, causing his bad shot....

P.

That story of the dueling pistols being bored off center at the breech has some truth to it. I have a set of cased duelers. Beautiful set! They have all the accessories. Even a thumb screw key to adjust the sights. The only thing is one of the pistols shoots tack driving dead on. The other shoots about 2 feet to the side or what you are aiming at. The sight on this pistol cannot be adjusted for the 2-foot difference. It can be adjust up and down Or increase the 2 feet to more but 2 feet side shot placement is as near as one is going to get. Now this is figuring shooting at 10 paces or (2 duelers at 10 paces a piece for combined distance of 20 Paces. (the 2 foot is an approximation for brevity here, it’s really a little more.) The case is fitted for each pistol. The pistols are numbered NO. 1 and NO. 2. Due to configuration of the hand grip and the trigger guards, you cannot place NO 1 into NO 2 place or vice versa. If asked to pick a pistol. The one that shoots off by 2 feet is very easy to get (pick out of the case). By this I mean, as a right hander one would probably grab it as it’s lay in the box seems to be more preferred. I tried this with a bunch of people. asking them to pick a pistol and about 90 of the time, the 2 foot off pistol was selected. Those people that selected this pistol where all right hander’s. That test for perfered pistol selection wasn't pending the forth coming action of a duel. Perhaps in the real situation, a "duel," and the increase of "nervosity," there is an edge in the selection process also. Any way I’m still looking for information on the Rifling technique (“Scratch, shallow rifling, ~ the dimension type stuff, Decimal depth, length from breech to ??? how far down the barrel, adjustment to free bore.) any comments or info would be appreciated. Thanks
To bad more politicians don't "Duel" for honor and sport instead of play golf.

In the book of the era, The Code Duello, young men were told to "know your pistol", inferring a slight intentional misalignment of the bores unique to that brace of pistols. It could not, of course, be obvious, as the individual who made the challenge got to choose which firearm he used. Many factors influenced the outcome of the duel, including distance and how the firing was to be conducted. In many cases, a signal was given (such as a dropped hankerchief - firing to be done as the cloth touched the ground) by an individual standing roughly 90 degrees from the antagonists, pretty much precluding aiming. Another method used was the "cool and alternate method of fire" in which the combatants drew lots and took alternate fire. The book advised individuals how to stand to minimize their body target and how to protect their face using the pistol hand even when receiving fire in the "cool and alternate" method.

Back