• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber / bore question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas792

32 Cal
Reaction score
The English dueling pistols are usually described as smooth bore at around .60 caliber / 22 bore. I have a rifle kit I’m putting together in .54 caliber. I have been thinking of building a pistol in the English dueler style (1820’s or so). .54 is not that different from .60 and is easier to find. As a target pistol it would be rifled.

Lately I’ve been thinking .40 because it would use less powder and have less recoil (based on calculations unless BP handguns work differently) and therefore more economical (yea I know nobody in this hobby is in it to save money).

Would I notice a difference between .54 and .40 when loaded to a charge that provides best accuracy?

I would think so. I am not a good pistol shooter to begin with, but if you are shooting at targets beyond 15 yds, you will have to notice a difference. But I have never been good with recoil anyway!

What would be noticed is that the 40 caliber would be heavier to hold and slightly more muzzle heavy than the 54 caliber. Accuracy might depend on the wind conditions. Wind will move the smaller ball much more than the 54.

You would need a hefty load in a .54 to equal a smokeless powder charge in say a .45 ACP. I have a couple .54s, caplock and flintlock, and with the 35 to 40 grain 3F loads, recoil is not a problem.

Good morning @Thomas762. Some good points have been provided by previous posters. A couple of other points to take into account for your decision:

Are you going with flintlock or percussion? In your 1820's time frame, it could have been either. Depending on your level of blackpowder experience, there are varying learning curves to each type of ignition.
If you are going to be range shooting only? The smaller caliber will be more comfortable to shoot and more economical on powder, lead, etc.
If you are going to have it as a companion piece to a long gun for hunting medium to large game, , you may want to consider a larger caliber. For small game, smaller caliber.

I have single shot percussion and flint pistols ranging in caliber from .32 - . 62. Most are rifled. In my world, I find myself playing at the range more with the smaller calibers. I do take the larger calibers to the range and as back-up to long guns on a hunt for deer, feral swine, turkey or other medium to large game. The .32 & .36 are just plain fun. For a first pistol, the .40 and .45 calibers are good all around range and back-up pistols. With practice, one can use the smaller calibers for squirrel, rabbit, grouse or other small game.
I will predict that this will not be your last black powder single shot pistol.

In the end, get what you are hankering for. You will be happier.
Good luck on your decision and Enjoy shooting the single shot pistols!!!!

Kind Regards,
Dan

Back