• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Boertjie and the Bison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a package in the mail... Thanks Snake-eyes. :bow:

Bison horn; and I will take you guys through the process as I turn at LEAST one into a powder horn. As I know myself so very well, I'll share all of them. Combining horn from American Buffalo with African Hardwoods will be something very special.

P1010145.jpg

I ordered a bison horn last week as well.

I am waiting to get it in the mail. That would be my first bison horn which I would like to use with my Hawken style rifle.

Billk

Here is a progress report.

This horn reminds me of an union, it has many, many layers. And after many hours of willing myself to start I started with a rough rasp to remove some layers to get to a uniform layer with less of the original broken, dried and chipped surface. An aim with this is to not end up with a horn that looks plastic. I do not want to remove the essence of the animal. I am certain however that I will be able to polish the horn to a very high polished finish.

Of the three, I have now worked on two and there is some more work left.

On the first one I wanted to honor the homeland of the North American Bison. I made the baseplug from Maple. And during the process realized what a lovely wood Maple really can be.

P1020549.jpg

P1020552.jpg

The second one I got more adventurous. I've combined the maple with Kiaat. Combining America and South Africa in the wood. There is still more work to be done to the plug, do not ask me what it will look like when I am done.

P1020553.jpg

P1020555.jpg

P1020556.jpg

More updates to follow as I proceed.

Looks good I really like the first one! :thumbsup: You might want to try a plug made with alternating layers of the two materials or perhaps strips glued side by side and the turned down into a plug. :hmm: Just a thought! Any way you go it looks good!

I've started doing the work on just such a "laminated" base plug. A mixture of African and American hardwoods.

It is finished, and the sling can be attached, now I only need to figure out exactly what. I think maybe something that may goes with my possibles bag.

P1020745.jpg

I tried consciously to use hand tools only. Seeing that the horn is North American in source, I used a non "exotic" wood from an American perspective. For the staple I stuck to simple mild steel wire.

Latest posts

Back