• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Best Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use a brass fixed charger, from TOTW.
i buy them large, to get the biggest diameter, then cut them to size.
:v

Fixed measures are OK, but be sure you check them with an actual powder SCALE, to know just how close to the designated powder weight the fixed measure actually throws.

Most brass measures are 3/8" tubing, but some of the fixed measures are larger in diameter.

The 3/8" tubing is calibrated for FFg powder. If you use FFFg Goex, or any of the foreign made powders, the actual weight can be greater than the designation by the factory for the fixed measure. This is not much of a problem, until you start loading heavy charges. I have hand made my fixed powder measures from antlers, and I have used brass fixed measures made by manufacturers. As long as I have checked the measures with my powder scales I have had good service with fixed measures.

Oh, if you have a manufacturered fixed measure that is throwing powder on the heavy side, take a file to the top of the measure and file it down until it throw the amount you want it to throw. Its your measure. Just use a new, clean file on any brass tubing, and clean the file often, and when you finish using it on the brass measure. You may need to use a copper or bronze pick to get all the filings out of the teeth of your file.

I have almost the same one Breechplug has. Never even occured to me to clean the damned thing.

Maybe all those girls in highschool were right? Maybe I WAS raised in a barn...
:confused:

I use an Italian powder measure. It is the brass cylinder with a thumb operated gate and a changeable brass spout. The bottom unscrews for easy refilling.

With the spout of my choice screwed onto it I just grab it with my right hand, invert it so the spout is pointing down, push the thumb gate to the open position and with my index finger plugging the spout, give it a few shakes. Then I release the thumb gate, turn the flask spout up, remove my finger and eyeball the powder to see that it has fully filled and pour the powder into a brass measure in my left hand that is set at its maximum setting.

This powder then gets poured down the barrel.

The whole procedure takes about 5 seconds.

I've got two of these both about 30 years old. I think they're TC. They still make them but not all brass anymore.
100_0844.jpg

That's an interesting measure but the one I'm using isn't that fancy.
It is just a 1 1/4 diameter brass tube with a screw on end cap on one end and a Italian flask end on the other end.

I was going to get a reference link from Dixie but I find they no longer carry them. I guess I'll have to start treating it nicer now. :hmm:

Since when can't we fart in crowded elevators? I did not get that memo! Personally, I don't have a problem with my brass powder measurer. On the other hand - I typically use a piece of horn tip that I have marked (internal scratches marked with white paint) for my favorite loads 60 and 80 grains of GOEX 3F and hanging on my horn lace with a piece of sinew. It never gets green and works every time.

Latest posts

Back