• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks Idaho Ron ... you've done it now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So while I was having my morning coffee I saw your reply and watched your video on paper patching (thanks again, btw), so of course I had to watch the video about your "Hot Rod Hawken" while having my second cup.

Well that's all I could think about at work today!!! :cursing: I couldn't wait to get back home and look up all the details!

Seriously tho, very intriguing build. I've found some info you've sprinkled around the web and can't wait to read all the details.

Thanks for posting.

I guess your welcome. Glad to know I made your day unbearable :rotf: .

I had a lot of guys that were wanting to know what the minimum equipment was for paper patching. I decided to do a video. That is actually a three part video. I also have a video on my 2013 buck I got with it.
I plan to use it for my antelope and Deer hunt this year.

Yes sir Ron got me going as well. The process was intimidating at first but in reality is pretty straight forward and works like a charm. I too built a Hot Rod rifle. Used the Lyman deer Stalker stock and parts and bought a GM LRH barrel for it. Dropped right in. Those barrels are out there and can be bought from time to time. I introduced one of those PP 460grn bullets to an Elk last year...10 steps wobble wobble..DOWN :wink:

That's what I am looking for...tell me about this paper patching. Roundball was fine for Illinois whitetails but these Colorado elk are a tad larger :shocked2:

Idaho Ron said:
I guess your welcome. Glad to know I made your day unbearable :rotf: ....

Yes, I have discovered that this "work" thing gets in the way of my hobbies!

I have a TC Renegade I've had for decades and it may have an upgrade in it's future.

To add to this and throw another rifle option; I've been playing with these PP bullets in my Lyman GPR. Not the round ball barrel but I found a GPH barrel for it. (GPR is a .54 but I bought a .50 barrel for it; dropped in with very minor fitting of the tang-barrel)

I'm still working on this but I'm consistantly getting 1.5" groups at 100yds. I need work on my patching (being consistant from bullet to bullet).

So far I've only tried Pdex RS. I'm going to try pdex pistol, hopefully friday morning.

You can try the Pistol granulation Pyrodex but I don't recommend doing it with slugs.

During Lyman's testing to get data for their BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL, they did not use 3Fg powder (equivalent to Pyrodex P) for any heavy slug loads.

Even using 2Fg and Pyrodex RS the breech pressures were very high some being over 24,000 psi.

I know of a couple guys shooting that rife with the Paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet. They are all getting great results.
I have been using 80 gr of Pyrodex P for many years. It works very well.

Latest posts

Back