• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing different size Powders in Flintlock Rifles......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen brother.....more room for Swiss?? I'm with you on that..!!
If it wasn't for the hazmat, I'd give it to you.
I'll probably give it away sometime this summer to a new shooter when I start traveling & shooting with viewers of the BPMS Channel.
Lmk when ur in indiana for the nmlra stuff and I'll come say hi and shoot with u.

Once I tried Schuetzen & Swiss, I lost total interest in Goex.
The Swiss & Schuetzen powders are VERY reliable. If I do my part correctly, the powder works.

I still have 4 pounds of the old 3F Goex and haven't used in 5 years.
The main reason is......cleaning the guns using the Swiss followed by Schuetzen is a 5-7 minute job each for me.
It use to take me 18-20 minutes to get Goex totally cleaned out of my guns, therefore, I'll pass.
Thanks for your help.
I started with Swiss because I couldn’t get Goex.
I’ll continue to use Swiss

Different strokes for different folks. I cannot see a difference in performance between Schuetzen and Goex. Virtually identical, IMHO. But, I cannot get good groups with Swiss, no way, no how. Go figger.
I only tried Swiss once (two different granulations). It was in my .54 Green Mountain barreled flintlock TN Rifle. This rifle is a tackdriver with Goex 2f or 3f. It did not group well with Swiss. Did notice the Swiss was very clean burning.

Lmk when ur in indiana for the nmlra stuff and I'll come say hi and shoot with u.
I try to get over there 8-9 times a year. Usually shooting with Barry Geipel making some kind of shooting video. I will be there the 1st Saturdays of both National shoots-- usually to run cameras & pick up supplies. It is too busy for this lousy shooter to shoot on those days. I'll get back over later in the week when its quieter.

And....definitely on New Years Day every year. That is an excellent time to try out other funs from other shooters you may never own. I look you up sometime to get together when it warms up a little more.

I just buy 3F, everything gets it. I used to go by the bore size rule and bought powder according to that. That got old now its all 3F. I wonder though, I haven't fired a Flint lock yet. I'm working on that, but could one just grind up some 3F and make a finer priming powder out of it? Maybe in like a ceramic mortar and pestle? From your video I don't really see that the 3F in the pan isn't quick enough.

I just buy 3F, everything gets it. I used to go by the bore size rule and bought powder according to that. That got old now its all 3F. I wonder though, I haven't fired a Flint lock yet. I'm working on that, but could one just grind up some 3F and make a finer priming powder out of it? Maybe in like a ceramic mortar and pestle? From your video I don't really see that the 3F in the pan isn't quick enough.
3f is all i use for prime. and main charge. no need to grind it.

Can you take 2f or 3f and make it finer to be closer to 4f? Like using a mortar and pestle
yes. it is done all the time. but if you have 3F , 4f is not that great of a gain. some think it burns faster and easier but if the powders are all at the same level of dryness they burn(ignite) equally.
i gave up on 4f as it sucks up moisture so fast in a hunting situation here that it can be a detriment.

yes. it is done all the time. but if you have 3F , 4f is not that great of a gain. some think it burns faster and easier but if the powders are all at the same level of dryness they burn(ignite) equally.
i gave up on 4f as it sucks up moisture so fast in a hunting situation here that it can be a detriment.
Thank you for your advice makes since.

I only tried Swiss once (two different granulations). It was in my .54 Green Mountain barreled flintlock TN Rifle. This rifle is a tackdriver with Goex 2f or 3f. It did not group well with Swiss. Did notice the Swiss was very clean burning.
Yes. Tis a puzzlement. Many people like it. But, puzzlements are a big part of what makes this game interesting.

Back