• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Test Fire - New Cabela's Pedersoli 12 GA SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My replacement 12 GA SxS showed up a couple of days ago.

As you may recall, the first one shipped to me had some spots on the barrel with bad bluing (actually rusted) and some damage to the toe. Upon returning it I found that Cabela's was completely discontinuing this model, but Cabela's Customer Service was great to work with and they found another out of their Lehi, Utah center to ship to me. Unfortunately this one also had a little damage at the toe (less than the first) from what I assume is people handling it as a demo gun on the floor. But for $120 additional off from the sale price which was already a couple hundred less than I could find the gun for anywhere else, it was a good deal.

Because it's a tad cold and snowy here, I haven't done extensive shooting with it, but it seems to do OK. For those of you with extensive shotgun/patterning experience, perhaps you can chime in and tell me if you think the patterns look acceptable. CAVEAT: I did not have a lot of shots to work up the ultimate load, but did get what I think is a fair load to convince myself that it will shoot well. So I think the pictures of targets below can be improved upon some. In addition, I was not using a rest of any kind.

First, a few pictures of the gun itself. Pretty nice for under $700 bucks new. Great job on the color case hardening...at least I think so.

StocknLock_zps9c03a7f2.jpg

Locks_zps058839b8.jpg

Tang_zps4a6da416.jpg

TriggerGuard_zps8e609bd0.jpg

These first two targets are at 20 yards, one Right Barrel, one Left Barrel. This seemed to be a normal pattern for 90 Gr 2F Goex, 1 1/2 oz #4 Magnum shot, two felt overpowder wads and one overshot card. I tried a number of load combinations and this one gave me the best results so far. X-Full Choke tube installed. The "score" numbers you see written on them are first, number of pellets in head/neck; second, number in the 7 3/4" circle around the head/neck.

20YdRB_zps9b11223a.jpg

20YdLB_zpsb79139cf.jpg

The next two are representative for 30 yards, same load as above. I'm not sure what the barrels are regulated for distance, but one can clearly see the bulk of the pattern for the right barrel slightly right of center and the Left Barrel slightly left..though still a plenty dead turkey!!!

Also, I was shooting into a 24" x 22" newpaper backing and on counting holes virtually the entire shot load was on the paper. I don't know what percentage of the load an X-Full choke is supposed to deliver at various ranges, but I believe a full is 70% in a 30" circle at 40 yards, so having all in a roughly 24" circle at 30 yards didn't seem out-of-line to me.

30YdRB_zps83e273fd.jpg

30YdLB_zps5d010a4f.jpg

Inputs welcome as I'm really a neophyte when it comes to shotguns and patterning. Never owned a shotgun in my life of any kind.

As many here have said, shooting this thing is a real hoot!

Spikebuck, that is a very handsome double you have there. As to patterns, you might try No. 5 and No. 6 shot as well. Some guns have a very strong preference for one shot size over another, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I love the looks of that gun. Looks much better than my SxS. Performance wise, looks like a very serviceable pattern, but I think you will find one that makes your current one look very loose. That is the kind of pattern I get with my SxS cylinder bore, and it works great out to about 25-30yds, but I haven't tried it beyond there, and still think I have room for improvement. However, the pattern you're getting would do fine for the vast majority of my shotgun needs so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're just curious as to what your gun will do, as what you have will work perfectly well. Once again, beautiful gun. I bet that brings you home some meat with no problems at all.

Excellent :hatsoff:

If you can, try some smaller shot. A dense pattern wins everytime. Folk can be misled about bigger pellets are better.

You have a new addiction that will never never leave you :thumbsup: Watching that smoke drift away or linger on the ground as though it were fog will have you grinning from ear to ear :grin:

Brits.

Nice gun! :thumbsup: I love mine. Do you have cylinder choke tubes? They will come in handy iffin you need to use plastic wads for hard shot like hevi-shot or steel. GW

GW: The gun comes standard with one each x-full, modified and Improved choke. But I can get whatever I need as the Browning Invector tubes match.

Question: Since this has chrome-lined barrels my understanding is that it can handle steel without a plastic cup. Is there another reason for the plastic shot cup, other than I have read that for some it helps the pattern tighten up.

Spikebuck,
I got the same gun, same gauge and I love mine. It truly is a beautiful gun and balances wonderfully. While I have killed many squirrels with mine, I plan to hunt turkey with it this Spring and will be working on a turkey load. I will compare notes with you when I get around to it. I am planning on trying both #5 and #6 shot in order to increase pattern density. Should be a lot of fun. Congrats on that pretty new gun.

Jeff

That is a purty shotgun and a really good deal for you. Reminds me of a Navy Arms magnum I once had and regretably sold...
What, if I am not being too forward, are your intentions for that piece, as you say it is your first and only? Do you intend to hunt or target shoot, perhaps both? Don't mean to pry, just curious. Take care

Roguedog: Turkey was the primary reason I got the gun. I'm also going to try some smaller shot sizes to see what I get. Am also thinking about getting a turkey choke to see how that tightens things up as well. Would love to compare notes as we go along.

You bet Spikebuck. Here it is, not even January, and I'm already looking forward to Spring turkey season. My goal this year is to take one with my Pedersoli double. What are your plans for camo of the gun or do you have any? You have to admit, they are kinda shiny and I think a wise old tom might just see it if we're not careful. Regarding loads, I would be curious to see if our respective guns being the exact same would like similar loads? We must exchange notes as we go along. This might be interesting.

Jeff

try loading as such, 90grn 2F, 3 overshot cards, 1 felt wad, 1 1/2oz shot then 1 overshot card. that's how i load all my shotguns even the blackpowder breechloaders shotshells. you will get a better pressure seal and probably a bit tighter patterns too. unless of course you've already tried that.

I shoot mine with Modified chokes in both barrels.
85gr 2F, 2 Lubed 1/4" felt wads, 1 1/4oz shot and one felt wad over the shot. This loading prints pretty darn near center when patterned. 80gr of 2F will actually produce a slightly tighter pattern. I tried #5 shot and it did not pattern well at all. But #4, #6 and #7.5 shot pattern real well.

My 10ga Cabelas double patterns best with copper plated #6's. I use 110 gr. 2f, and the same measure of shot. 1 over powder wad, 2 felt or 1 full cushion wad cut from composite siding board, and a thin overshot wad. I typically get 6 or more shot in the brain or neck on the turkey target at 40 yards. I've shot 6 gobblers with that load and none got up.

I'm a believer in smaller shot for turkeys. I once killed a gobbler with a 62 cal smooth rifle with #7 1/2 shot. At up to 20 yards, it's deadly.

Spikebuck said:
Question: Since this has chrome-lined barrels my understanding is that it can handle steel without a plastic cup.

While I have fired some steel without platic cups I don't think it's a good idea. I curious what Pedersoli recommends. Does it mention this in an owner's manual? GW

I purchased that same gun 4 years ago. Since then I have killed 8 longbeards with it. It is extremely fun! I shoot 95 gr. 2F / 1 3/4 oz #5s.
Over the powder I put 1 1/8 inch hard card, over that I put 2 felt Wonder Wads, then shot and hold with 2 thin shot cards. ( I used to put only 1 over shot card but added another after I shot a turkey at 25 yards and he just stood there eyes big as saucers because evidently all the shot had poured out at some piont.) Mine shoots excellent to 30 yds, ok at 35 but pattern falls off quickly after that. Good Luck!

Grey Whiskers said:
Spikebuck said:
Question: Since this has chrome-lined barrels my understanding is that it can handle steel without a plastic cup.

While I have fired some steel without platic cups I don't think it's a good idea. I curious what Pedersoli recommends. Does it mention this in an owner's manual? GW

It's not referenced directly in the owner's manual that came with mine (bought new about 8 yrs ago), but there was an included addendum sheet for removable choke models. The addendum sheet has the following statement: "We do not recommend chokes tighter than improved cylinder for steel shot"

Regards,
Mike

Grey Whiskers said:
Spikebuck said:

GW: The Pedersoli Manual doesn't say anything, but a Cabela's manual that came with is fairly clear to use a plastic shotcup with steel. In the loading instructions for steel it says to load the hardcard, then a plastic shotcup..etc...then it advises to NEVER load more shot than the plastic cup can hold or serious damage to the barrel may result.

Glad you guys are here to keep me honest! :bow:

Good morning, i got one exactly like yours,bout 15 yrs ago,great shotgun, am partial to side by sides, as to the charge i use 60 grns ,wadding same as yours,am trying out cloth cups that i found on this website, shot a nice turkey a few years ago with 2 oz of no 4, 60 grns 2f, you will have a great time , keep us posted,, oh yeh i also got a 12 ga, round ball mold, still experimenting ,to much to do, to little time, with winter up here lasting 5 months i think i,ll take it snowshoeing, thanks , have a great winter

Speaking of these shotguns, would they be safe to shoot roundballs out of? I have thought about possibly trying to work up a roundball load for it but do not want to over tax the barrels as it is primarily used for squirrel, rabbit and such. I could see the value in having one barrel charged with buckshot, the other a big round ball. Could make for a deadly combo. I can speak form experience that within practical range, 10 pellets of 00 buck over 90 grains of powder will do a number on a deer at 25 yards.

Jeff

Back