• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Whats yall useing ? Im thinking of getting a tpee type with a awning from panther primitive any input on these ?

Dh and I use a wall tent. although I think it would be kinda neat to have a tipi...

Do you mean a pyramid tent ?
With the amount of fabric that is used to build one of those thing and the usable space you get you would be better off with a wall tent.
besides I don't think they are period unless you are a miner or a railroad worker ( late 1800 )
they were sold by Sears in their 1902 catalog,
page 356. ya jus gotta love those old catalogs.

If it is a Panther's pyramid tent: I've used one for 10+ years. Good tent, no problems, excellent in the wind. You do lose some room with the design depending on what all you plan on jamming in there. As stated above, it is not time period for all events. (I use a wedge tent for those). There are many at most good ol' rondyvoos. Probably one of the easiest tents to set up.

A teepee is supposed to be very good in wind/rain.

Something about the wind coming in under the first flap and being direct out the top by a second flap. Not sure if Panther builds them this way or not.

If PC matters to you.....it's a horrible decision.

If PC doesn't matter.....sounds fun. Panther makes a good product.

olgreenhead said:
Well my persona is a longhunter so what type tent would i use? Art
I can't honestly say that I've found a reference to Longhunters carrying tents. I've read where they built winter quarters...but no reference to a tent. Someone else may be able to give you one.

For the 18th century though, a wedge is probably the most correct. Or a simple fly.

I met the guy from panther and he's a great guy. He makes really nice tents and I particulary like his tipi's.
I would highly recommend his company, you can't go wrong.
Sleeping in a tipi in a rain storm can be a bit shakey. I would recomend getting a buddy who has a tipi and spend some time with him. There's a bunch to learn about size, shape and how to set them up properly.
Remember, follow the sun, favor the wind....
I'm building my second Tipi.... allways interesting stuff.
Regards
Wounded Knee

Back