• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent safety idea ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they even sell those anymore?..I don't think they would pass code in my area..
Anyway, condensation collects on tent walls, house walls, windows, tin roofs etc. for the same reasons...
Poor ventilation and poor insulation.

Colorado Clyde said:
Do they even sell those anymore?..I don't think they would pass code in my area..
Anyway, condensation collects on tent walls, house walls, windows, tin roofs etc. for the same reasons...
Poor ventilation and poor insulation.

Yes, unvented propane heaters are still sold in large numbers. We have one that looks (sumptin') like a Ben Franklin fireplace. It is used for emergency heat. After a big ice storm here we were without electric for nine days. The heater kept us cozy. Never any condensation. Probably put some much needed humidity into the house air though. I checked with fire department, and others, about safety and was told they are fine to use indoors.
BTW, tent wall condensation is, IMHO, a normal condition. A small tent/lodge (mine was 12x12 feet) would be dripping mornings just from my one body and breathing.

and to All,

Does anyone KNOW whether the Coleman Catalytic Heater is safe to use in a tent or NOT?
(The Coleman company says that it is safe to use in closed structures.)

yours, satx

One of the last times, I went hunting/camping in winter, I took a few of those Jone hand warmers and stuck those inside heavy socks and had them under the wool blankets with me. Having the one at my feet and another at the small of my back made a world of difference on a night that went down to zero.

satx78247 said:
and to All,

Does anyone KNOW whether the Coleman Catalytic Heater is safe to use in a tent or NOT?
(The Coleman company says that it is safe to use in closed structures.)

yours, satx

Define "safe"
There is always a fire hazard, oxygen depravation hazard, toxicity hazard.

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwicgK7S8tnXAhVpK8AKHcYKCMEQFggrMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cpsc.gov%2Fs3fs-public%2Fpdfs%2Fco03.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0I64ZPEdL9r4dSZR2eW0gC

Define "dapravation".

What I'm asking is a catalytic heater (which doesn't have flame) is LIKELY to cause a CO toxicity problem and/or cause other problems in a tent.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Define "dapravation".

What I'm asking is a catalytic heater (which doesn't have flame) is LIKELY to cause a CO toxicity problem and/or cause other problems in a tent.

yours, satx

Truthfully, don't know. We did use one in our modern camping tent many years ago. That was before safety warnings were common for anything. I think we survived. :wink: Not an endorsement, just our experience.

satx78247 said:
Define "dapravation".

yours, satx

Are your eyes failing old buddy....Check my spelling again....
oxygen depravation hazard

You really don't get poisoned by CO it "DEPRIVES" the blood cells of oxygen by bonding with them so oxygen can't...So, whether the co deprives you of oxygen or the heater consumes all the oxygen in the room you are deprived of oxygen...
I posted a link to some statistics to draw your own conclusions...
But, just for you I will summarize.
The chances of dying from a catalytic heater are slim....but still possible.
I'm not a fan of kerosene....Propane is much safer IMO. Especially models with Co detection and tip over shut offs.

Catalytic heaters work well because they burn the fuel almost completely like 99%.
It's un-burned hydrocarbon fuels that create CO.

BUT, any high efficient heater used in a confined space can become dangerous if they begin to use up the available Oxygen in the area.
Combustion requires Oxygen for a full burn,, if the O2 isn't available,, then the burn isn't complete and CO is being made.

The depletion of O2 and creation of CO in a confined space by any hydrocarbon fuel heater is not a linear curve. As O2% is lowered the more CO is created,, CO can spike rapidly.

Modern propane heaters have Oxygen Depletion sensors that shut the burn off.
Proper care and maintenance of any heater is part of the game. Are all people capable of that? No.

If you have one of those old Coleman fuel burning "dome" type heaters then I can tell you NO don't use it in a confined space. The catalytic dome get's dirty real easy and pretty fast, they do not burn clean. I can say that from my personal experience ice fishing. Sitting inside a 4x6 shack with 2 men and one of those domes for as little as 3-4hrs and the CO will start to get ya.
As and aside;
If you step outside for whatever and come back in, If you can smell the fuel being used,, your not getting a complete burn no matter what fuel your using.
So a couple folks ice fishing for the day or evening isn't bad because your in/out of the shack several times.
The deaths happen when folks decide to take a nap or layout in bunks overnight,, like overnight camping.

I think that the word that you're looking for is "deprivation" rather than "depravation", though neither are really correct in context.
(I was "jerking your chain" about the malapropism. = "Depravation" would be, if it was a word, be related to "depraved or immoral acts".)

CHUCKLE, satx

I would guess that an ice-fishing shack would be far more "airtight" than a tent would be but maybe I'm wrong about that.
(Like other homo sapiens, I'm wrong about many guesses.)

satx78247 said:
I think that the word that you're looking for is "deprivation" rather than "depravation", though neither are really correct in context.
(I was "jerking your chain" about the malapropism. = "Depravation" would be, if it was a word, be related to "depraved or immoral acts".)

CHUCKLE, satx
Yes....and I was making light of your misspelling of my misspelling.... :haha:

Well, from reading your posts for the last 4+ years,, you don't need to worry about heating a tent, your not "tent camping" anymore. Nor do you attend Rendezvous or shoot black powder traditional guns.
You are a pseudo history buff I'll give ya,,
Current camping issues are,, well, current.
Nobody has mentioned Nessmuk in this topic.

Did I ever tell you about the night I came home (to my tent)at a rendezvous, I was a little "tipsy" (stagger, stagger, crawl, crawl, :haha: ) and I got all tangled up in my rope lines like a fly in a spiders web....It was pitch dark. The guy next to me got a good chuckle out of it...
Now there's a real safety issue... :grin:

NO, I'm by no means a traditional reenactor; instead I'm a HUNTER & will use whatever lawful means (including XB, ML or modern firearm) that I choose to fill the family deep freeze with game.

Otoh, I know about 500% of the real American history that your pseudo-intellectual foolishness & insufferable SELF-importance, that is evident in your many posts, demonstrate that you possess.
(Frankly, you would do well to simply accept that you are laughed AT behind your back by numerous intelligent & far more knowledgeable members here & ridiculed "off- forum" too.)

For the peace, dignity & well-being of all here, I suggest that you neither read nor respond to my posts & I'll do the same with your posts.

just my opinion, satx

Latest posts

Back