• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent safety idea ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to get as hc as possible, other then my first aid kit and water pills I have a vinal glasses case, and chemical glass cleaners. , I keep a bic lighter just in case I need a quick flame in the night. In an event I can make a pretty warm bed so I can get by without a fire. Trekking I can make a brush shelter if needed and not suffer too much from cold. If it looks too cold or wet I stay home.
That said any heater in your tent while not hc is no ones business. That’s why there is doors on your tent. We go to have fun, not suffer just to show we’re ”˜by God mountain men’.
Set up your buddy, leave an air vent and enjoy the event.

i have a whelen leanto and canoe camp or over night squirrel hunts. Ever hear of a tilley heater? Kero burning red eye with a reflector. I throw a lght tarp over the front and use these inside if i get tired of cutting wood and want to sleep more then an hour. I spend more time getting them ready for a trip then burn time but that's me. Someday I'll see what this profane stuff is all about.

backwater said:
i have a whelen leanto and canoe camp or over night squirrel hunts. Ever hear of a tilley heater? Kero burning red eye with a reflector. I throw a lght tarp over the front and use these inside if i get tired of cutting wood and want to sleep more then an hour. I spend more time getting them ready for a trip then burn time but that's me. Someday I'll see what this profane stuff is all about.

Bet ya’ won’t wake up with soot buggers in your nose!

And with enough ventilation I bet ya’ wake up ! :doh:

Went to a very early spring weekend rendezvous near here years ago and the guy camped next to me always had his tent flap open even when sleeping. The heat was pouring out of his tent, but there was no stove. Curiosity got the best of me and I just had to ask. (Do NOT DO THIS AT HOME) He says he put denatured alcohol in a kerosene lantern and pointed to it. The glass globe was wrapped in aluminum foil, but other wise it looked like a normal coal oil lantern. When I asked him, there was frost on the ground and his tent must have been 75 degrees inside, with the flap open. The rest of the weekend I kept watching for his tent to burn up, but it did not. I have had a few alcohol stoves and burners over the years, one of them just burned on a wick sort of like a tiki torch. Just seems dangerous to me, maybe it isn't.

The old ice fisherman's trick was to take a roll of toilet paper and put it in a coffee can then pour in some alcohol....Burns really hot and clean....but you can't see the flame in sunlight....Fishermen were smart though....They burnt these on a lake....not in a tent.

Had to read that twice...toilet paper, alcohol and 'burning hot and clean' just didn't read the way you wrote it. Good lord, those ice fisherman were a tough lot! :shocked2: :rotf:

Thank you so much for this wonderfully safety suggestion. In fact I ordered one and will be using it next week on my camp out. You are such a smaatty pants. That’s smarty pants for those of us outside on the Boston Haba area.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Who knows maybe I’ll run into you some time. :bow:

My friend from Boston asked if I was going to the PACK today. No, says I,I'm going to the park.

Back