• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ccccold Weather - PA Winter Flintlock Hunt Recap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Plans ”“ Three good friends to meet up in the woods in northeastern PA for 3+ days of deer hunting between Xmas and New Year’s, during the special late Winter flintlock-only deer hunting season. My friends ”˜Mighty Oak’ and ”˜NJ Flinter’, who both post on these forums here, rounded out the participants for this year’s trip ”¦ which was forecasted to be a ccccccold one!

Weather ”“ Woo boy, the forecast was to be frigid and it was ”¦ temps from 4 to 6-degrees in the morning and we saw 17-degrees one day at noontime. Winds were light for the most part, but there tended to be a breeze up in the am or late hours and wow, did that sure make it cold!

Camp ”“ M-Oak setup his 12x12 Panther Primitives wall tent ahead of us and it was warm and cozy with the wood stove going when we arrived. Sorting the gear out of the ”˜metal horses’ and keeping the camp as primitive as we could (less safety items) and the hunt and camping trip commenced. We had initially planned to setup 2 wall tents, as a 4th thought about joining us, but in the end we made do ”“ consolidated the wood supply ”“ and had a great trip, albeit a tad cramped at times.

Hunt ”“ You know ”¦ there’s a LOT of woods out thar’ in northeastern PA with their State forests and game lands! I’d end up in the middle of no wheresville woods ”“ surrounded only by nature’s beauty ”“ and would wonder if I should have taken that ridge, or gone across the west side of the swamp ”“ not the east side, or perhaps should have stalked through that marsh or swale ”¦ rather than the route I took.

Hunting at this time of year is tough! I believe the deer sat tight in the mornings, between the extreme cccccold and that there was a brightening moon each night, with the full moon coming on towards the New Year. Most deer sighted were seen before we moved, or observed moving as they saw us move. It was not a sit and wait hunt. We at least had a few inches of snow cover and one night got some fresh snow to help aid in observing where they had been moving. Most interestingly, we came across more than a few late season scrapes, freshly dug through the new snow that happened just after Xmas Day.

Gear ”“ Anytime I’m out in the cold I’m amazed by how well wool items work; this trip being no different! I had thick wool socks on that went up over my knees, tucking under the woolen breeches and between them and my French-style winter mocs by Arrow Moccasins, called solieur de bouefs and my feet stayed warm. If my toes got cold, just moving them a bit, or continuing to stalk or still hunt warmed them right up. These boots date to the late 1600s and are lined with real shearling wool and are THE warmest boots I own ”¦ and are historically correct to boot, no pun intended.

One day we spent the entire day out in the woods, which started out at 6-degrees and warmed up to a balmy 15-degrees or so at mid-day, dropping back to single digits at the day waned. The highlight of that day was stopping to build a fire with Mighty Oak and having hot tea from melted snow around noon. The beef jerky and nuts provided by our NJ companion kept us full enough for the day.

A wool shirt, caped heavy wool coat, plus gloves, hat & scarfs or neck wraps, rounded out my woolen gear, as it did for my fellow hunters. One wore a matchcoat whilst on stand one day late and getting his rifle up to ready ”“ cost him a shot, when the buttstock got tangled up in the blanket wrap.

The one time I got frigid cccccold was at the end of the whole day spent in the woods, setting up on stand 1-hour before shooting time ended, overlooking a draw by the edge of a swamp where deer had been seen before. Man was I cold walking back to the iron horse, as this site was aways from camp.

Lessons Learned ”“ I was totally satisfied with my gear and flintlock rifle, which lit off instantly at the conclusion of the hunt, whilst using a rotted stump as the mark. In retrospect, I think I should have covered more territory ”¦ I saw deer, but just never had the opportunity for a shot. Either they were moving or were in brush so thick that I couldn’t risk a shot. I did find areas where I saw most of the deer activity and this gives me ideas for future hunts.

I also like the idea of a matchcoat to wear whilst on stand, but I’m going to have to practice wearing one and shedding it, so it doesn’t cost me a shot at a deer someday.

Alas, none of us tagged out, but the trip was a rousing success none the less. With the warmth of a hot shower awaiting all of us with anticipation back at our respective homes ”¦ I think I speak for the entire group when I say that my thoughts were looking forward to our next Winter camping/hunting trip together!

Great report and sounds like a good time, even if deer weren't taken. Any Pictures???? (Camp, the woods, etc).

I looked up the Arrow Mocs you talked about. Looks like a great "boot." Since you were just out stomping around in the woods which had snow cover, and I assume up and down hills, how do you find the soles as far as being slippery? Also, how is the feel of the "ground" through them (eg: can you feel sticks, etc. underfoot or do the two layers of leather along with the lining have too much thickness and detract from feeling what you're walking on. Interested in hearing more about your experiences with these mocs.

Wool....can't beat it. :thumbsup:

Mike

Spikebuck said:
Interested in hearing more about your experiences with these mocs.
Mike:

I have to wear traditional metal crampons with these boots, even sometimes on wet days if a lot of slick leaves are out & about. However, if a cold Fall day with no snow or freezing temps, I’ve also laced hemp rope around the soles as was and is done with other weight/style mocs.

For crampons, I use metal ones made in the French manner, that lace to the boots. I got them from Ken Hamilton, but am guessing that Jeff Miller, from the Flintlock Forge in Maine, made them. They even wear the mark of the French King!

The sole is thick, but I’d say I have more tactile sense of what I’m stepping on than if I was using a ... ahem, modern boot like a Herman Survivor or such. It was so cold that one guy did have a more modern boot and the moc boots are easily 1/3rd as noisy in the woods - MUCH quieter footwear they are!

Alas we have pictures, but I’ve not setup a replacement place to host them since the photobucket fiasco and ransom attempt ....

I grew up in Hudson, Mass where the Arrow Moc Co was a local institution. One of the low cut styles was very popular as a street shoe in the late 1970's when I was in Jr. High School. I will have to look at the winter weight ones mentioned since I can't imagine a better field test.

Someone should remind Mighty Oak to post the details of his Snowshoe shoot on the Events page when he has a chance.

By the way Flint, Do you guys camp on the state game Lands or some other public land and hunt right out of the camp?

I live in PA, and the camping thing is not easy. State game lands are meant for hunting, and I really don't think any camping is allowed.
State parks have camping grounds and even rental cabins. You can hunt most State parks in designated areas.
State forest has permanent hunting camps established in sometime like before the 1950s. These buildings are owned by people, but the building lot is leased by the state for 200/year I think. I don't think you can establish a hunting tent/camp/trailer in the forest. It is common to have a State park in a state forest, so you can camp in the "park" in the forest.
Anyway that is how I think it works. I am free to correction because I could be wrong.

I hunted all last week and most days were near/below zero in the mountains here. -8F was the coldest day, and I think three days started at -2F.
I hunted with a gang most days, and probably averaged seeing 7 deer per day. Some areas were polluted with fresh tracks and we saw hardly any deer. Seems the colder days they just would stay bedded down unless you stepped on them.
This Saturday will also be below zero again according to the weather service. Sadly I have to work this week, so I am anxious to get cold and tired on Saturday.

XXX said:
Do you guys camp on the state game Lands or some other public land and hunt right out of the camp?
We get a free permit to pitch the tent at a designated campsite in the State forest. Haven't seen any other campers there yet ... :confused: for some reason :grin: .

Their website is: http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateForests/FindAForest/Delaware/Pages/Camping.aspx

We have found the office personnel and Rangers met to be exceptional people! Very personable, helpful and responsive.

I just looked up the Arrow Moccocin Co. on u tube. From what i can gather, hey are no longer in business due to the death of he owner/ maker. Please tell me i am wrong. The video I saw was a month old.

Mr. Smoothie.....

I have hunted in the PA forest in that corner for several years.......

For some reason, not many hunt in these forests during flintlock season.

My experience. They move in the morning and late evening.. They like to use terrains to their advantage. Find a strip of more twiggy, brushy than the open forest and they will be traveling...

There is natural green briar, they also clearance the oak trees when they log. They like higher up spots more than low lands.

MY sneaky spot is a shallow creek crossing where a swamp has a supermarket parking lot sized island in the middle.

Use you knowledge and use a GPS to mark stuff for future hunts, although not H.C.

I got 5 deer in NY between the catskill mountains, a Hudson valley orchard hot spot, and large farm country along the thruway. I'm good this year......

IF you ever see a green Korean war hexagonal woodstove tent with a blue ford focus or a black and grey dodge truck, that's me.....

Another tip, glass the living daylights out of 15 year old or so white pines. Deer love to nap under them. If you stalk hunt, binoculars make or break the hunt...... Our forefathers had all fall and winter to connect for meat hunting... We got a different time range.

I have yet to hunt successfully, but had plenty of chances. One I didn't trust my range, another the gun misfired, and numerous deer busting me....

Learn where they travel. Walk into the wind, but a bit to the side, if the travel corridor has your scent going right down it.

IF you see deer, just let them get closer to you on those corridors.

IF you got 2 or 3 people, a mini drive works great..... I'm not that lucky..... have 2 people loop wide to downwind of a small hill, then have the driver use his scent going up the hill to bust them.

osage orange said:
I just looked up the Arrow Moccocin Co. on u tube. From what i can gather, hey are no longer in business due to the death of he owner/ maker. Please tell me i am wrong. The video I saw was a month old.
Look at the post about them in the Vendor forum,

Back