• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New BP Shooter looking for help on what all else I'll need.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_273

32 Cal
Reaction score
My Lyman .54 Deerstalker arrived today! I have been researching what else I’ll “need” and below is what I came up with. I do have some questions on some of them that I’d appreciate advice on before I go spending a bunch of money I really don’t need to or spending it on the wrong things.

Obviously, I am not all that concerned with being PC/HC correct with the Deerstalker as my rifle. Mainly will be hunting with it and target shooting/plinking.

Goex powder
Should I get both 2F and 3F along with 4F or can I just get more 2F and then some 4F and be fine? I was planning on ordering 1lb of 4F and then either 2lbs of 2F and 2lbs of 3F or just 1lb of 4F and 4lbs of 2F. Plan on making a spout for them as I have seen plenty of ideas on how to DIY one up and I’d rather do that than spend more on something I can easily and quickly make.

Round balls
100 Hornady .530 Round balls and 100 Hornady .535 Round balls to start. Should I get the swaged ones or is it not that big of a deal/worth extra cost as long as I pay attention when loading? Plan to start casting my own, but not right off the bat with everything else I need to get to start out. Once I know what shoots better I'll order up on that size.

Flints
Planned on starting with 12 or so 5/8 x 3/4" English flints from Track of the Wolf and also 12 Leather Flint Jaw Pads 3/4 x 7/8" while I am ordering from them.

Flint tools
Should I just go ahead and get something like the Flinter's Ring of Tools from October Country or pick stuff up individually? Was thinking I could use a safety pin for the vent pick and look for one of the nails people use for knapping to start off and pick up a Primitive Rifleman's Turn Screw, hand-forged tempered steel screwdriver from Track of the Wolf or the Old Style Screwdriver from October Country and save some money unless the RIng of Tools would be better to start off with?

Powder horn
I was planning on holding off to start and just using a small plastic container like a peroxide bottle as I have seen some people use those, but was not sure if that was truly all that safe with static, etc… If I should get a horn would any of these be decent “starter horns”? If so what size? Do you know of any others in that range that would be better? Not looking for anything fancy, prefer better quality over that.

Priming flask
I found 2 nice brass ones on Track of the Wolf. They have one that throws about 3 grains or a larger one that throws about 4 grains. Would one be better than the other? Does it really matter?

Powder measure
Also found 2 nice-looking ones on Track of the Wolf. One that is adjustable from 0 to 120 grains, without a spout, and one that is adjustable 40 to 200 grains, without spout. Again which would be the better choice here?

Short Starter, patch & ball starter
Track of the Wolf has a 1/2" wooden rod for .54 and larger calibers that looks decent enough. Figure they’re all pretty basic and it should be fine.

Range / Cleaning rod
October Country has what looks to be a nice one. Brass Ramrod Cleaning Kit .54 Caliber Brass Ramrod Cleaning Kit .54 Caliber for $53.92. They have both 10-32 and 8-32. Which would you go with? Is there a better deal out there?

Ramrod puller
Found one on Track of the Wolf for $21.99. Do I really need one right off the bat?

Patches
Planned on picking up some Pillow ticking from Wal-Mart or the fabric store this weekend. I’ll take my calipers and mic it out to see if they have different thicknesses and pick a couple of different ones. Any other fabric to look at trying?

Patch lube
Not sure what to go with. Open to suggestions.

Gun oil
Track of the Wolf has a nice Never Leak Brass Oil Bottle I was going to add to the order when I place it.

Cleaner
How water and Ballistol were what I figured I’d start with. Any other good ones to try, use? Planned on cutting up some old cotton t-shirts to use as cleaning patches.

Possibles bag
Not sure if I’ll start with a Blackpowder specific one or just use a military surplus bag or haversack since I am not looking to be PC/HC with this setup. I do really like the double bag style and size I saw Bob McBride use in some of his videos, but expect that comes with a price tag inline with how nice/high quality it is so I don’t need that to start out.

Priming flask
I found 2 nice brass ones on Track of the Wolf. They have one that throws about 3 grains or a larger one that throws about 4 grains. Would one be better than the other? Does it really matter?
Smaller one, your gun will have a small pan

Powder measure
Also found 2 nice-looking ones on Track of the Wolf. One that is adjustable from 0 to 120 grains, without a spout, and one that is adjustable 40 to 200 grains, without spout. Again which would be the better choice here?
I doubt you will be shooting over 120 grains.
Range / Cleaning rod
October Country has what looks to be a nice one. Brass Ramrod Cleaning Kit .54 Caliber Brass Ramrod Cleaning Kit .54 Caliber for $53.92. They have both 10-32 and 8-32. Which would you go with? Is there a better deal out there?
Wait and see if your ramrod had threaded ends, if it does match those.

Ramrod puller
Found one on Track of the Wolf for $21.99. Do I really need one right off the bat?
Waste of money and they are very heavy and require 2 people to operate. instead buy a range rod and a replacement rod.
Patches
Planned on picking up some Pillow ticking from Wal-Mart or the fabric store this weekend. I’ll take my calipers and mic it out to see if they have different thicknesses and pick a couple of different ones. Any other fabric to look at trying?
One horse at a time I say.
Patch lube
You can make your own to start.
Gun oil
Track of the Wolf has a nice Never Leak Brass Oil Bottle I was going to add to the order when I place it.
There is no need to carry oil with you.

My Lyman .54 Deerstalker arrived today! I have been researching what else I’ll “need” and below is what I came up with. I do have some questions on some of them that I’d appreciate advice on before I go spending a bunch of money I really don’t need to or spending it on the wrong things.

Obviously, I am not all that concerned with being PC/HC correct with the Deerstalker as my rifle. Mainly will be hunting with it and target shooting/plinking.

Goex powder
Should I get both 2F and 3F along with 4F or can I just get more 2F and then some 4F and be fine? I was planning on ordering 1lb of 4F and then either 2lbs of 2F and 2lbs of 3F or just 1lb of 4F and 4lbs of 2F. Plan on making a spout for them as I have seen plenty of ideas on how to DIY one up and I’d rather do that than spend more on something I can easily and quickly make.

Round balls
100 Hornady .530 Round balls and 100 Hornady .535 Round balls to start. Should I get the swaged ones or is it not that big of a deal/worth extra cost as long as I pay attention when loading? Plan to start casting my own, but not right off the bat with everything else I need to get to start out. Once I know what shoots better I'll order up on that size.

Flints
Planned on starting with 12 or so 5/8 x 3/4" English flints from Track of the Wolf and also 12 Leather Flint Jaw Pads 3/4 x 7/8" while I am ordering from them.

Flint tools
Should I just go ahead and get something like the Flinter's Ring of Tools from October Country or pick stuff up individually? Was thinking I could use a safety pin for the vent pick and look for one of the nails people use for knapping to start off and pick up a Primitive Rifleman's Turn Screw, hand-forged tempered steel screwdriver from Track of the Wolf or the Old Style Screwdriver from October Country and save some money unless the RIng of Tools would be better to start off with?

Powder horn
I was planning on holding off to start and just using a small plastic container like a peroxide bottle as I have seen some people use those, but was not sure if that was truly all that safe with static, etc… If I should get a horn would any of these be decent “starter horns”? If so what size? Do you know of any others in that range that would be better? Not looking for anything fancy, prefer better quality over that.

Priming flask

Powder measure

Track of the Wolf has a 1/2" wooden rod for .54 and larger calibers that looks decent enough. Figure they’re all pretty basic and it should be fine.

Range / Cleaning rod

Ramrod puller

Patches

Patch lube

Gun oil

Cleaner
How water and Ballistol were what I figured I’d start with. Any other good ones to try, use? Planned on cutting up some old cotton t-shirts to use as cleaning patches.

Possibles bag
Not sure if I’ll start with a Blackpowder specific one or just use a military surplus bag or haversack since I am not looking to be PC/HC with this setup. I do really like the double bag style and size I saw Bob McBride use in some of his videos, but expect that comes with a price tag inline with how nice/high quality it is so I don’t need that to start out.
GOEX Powder
I recommend getting GOEX 3fg. The 3fg can be used for the main charge and for priming. It is almost as fast as 4fg. Most can't tell the difference in performance.

Powder Horn:
I would pass on a horn at this time since you are not intending to be period correct. You can get all the advantages of a horn with the the Knight flask and it comes with a measure. Unfortunately Track doesn't seem to carry this one.
Brass Black Powder Measure with Flask - Knight Rifles (knightoutdoors.com)

Priming Flask:
I like this one from Track as it is free flowing and you can use 3fg powder in it. Or if at some point in the future of course 4fg.
Flint priming flask, with free flow valve, brass - Track of the Wolf

Flints:
I use black English flints. In the special instructions on the order ask for flat on top and bottom. No humps.

Flint tools:
You will need a touch hole pick. A safety pin or paper clip of 1/16" or smaller will do. You will want a screwdriver to fit the bolts and screws on your rifle. Get two hollow ground screwdrivers that fit the lock bolts, and the jaw screw. You may want a small screwdriver to adjust the sights. The large screw driver can be used to knap the flint. Its too soon, but a spring vise will find a way into your tool kit eventually. A knapping nail or knapping awl can be made in a few minutes from a 16 penny nail by filing the tip flat then a notch in the flat tip. Use the handle of your screwdriver to tap the knapping awl.

Short Starter:
You will want a short starter.

Range Rod:
Loading, cleaning, and eventually ball pulling duties will be much easier with a good range rod. Track and October Country make good ones. The handle on a good range rod can be hooked over something to do the pulling. the rod pulling attachment is really not necessary.

Patches:
Getting your own patches from a fabric store is a good plan. Yes measure the material. Be aware that any indication of compressability in the store is obscured by the sizing in the fabric and actual measurements won't be valid until the material is washed and dried. I recommend # 40 cotton drill cloth from JoAnn's Fabrics. Its 0.018: thick and holds lubrication well. While at the store get some very cheap baby flannel or diaper flannel for cleaning patches.

Patch lubrication:
I'll go with the 1 part Ballistol and from4 to 7 parts water as the patch lubricant. I use it damp. Put it in your own bottle. For that matter patch lubricant that works can be most anything from spit to exotic blends of soaps, oils, rubbing alcohol and water or mink oil from Track of the Wolf for hunting

Gun Oil:
I use RIG as the grease for threads and parts that rub. I use WD-40 or rubbing alcohol as a water displacement in cleaning. I also use Ballistol after drying the water in cleaning as a penultimate cleaning step. For storage its a rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade.

Cleaner:
Black powder fouling is water soluble. The best cleaner is water with a few drops of dish washing soap if you use an oil based patch lubricant. I do use rubbing alcohol as the solvent for my wiping with a damp patch between shots. The Ballistol and water mix used for patch lube works too.

Possibles bag/ Shooting Pouch:
You want a bag just large enough to carry what you need for your shooting needs. There should be a few pockets to separate balls from patches and patch lube. Room to hold your flask with measure. A place for spare flints and a place for the vent pick and knapping tool and turn screw. I cut patches at the muzzle so a patch knife if good to have along. I often use a lock blade hunting knife that's razor sharp to cut the patches at the muzzle.

Thanks, @Grenadier1758 ! I have a buddy who is a big BP guy and was chatting with him last night and he also recommended just going with 3F. Thanks for all the other information as well! Excited to get the rest of what I need to get out and start making smoke!

Makes sense to get the free-flowing primer since I'll be using 3F as well.

I like that flask and measure but may end up getting one of those horns, just trying to decide which size to go with.

Will ask for flints with a flat on top and bottom and no humps. Did not realize you could do that, but it's a good idea that I imagine will make it much easier to get them locked in firmly.

Thanks again! Really appreciate you taking the time to provide all that information!

Go to your linen closet and find an old bath towel and an old face/hand towel and procure them for your shooting bag. I use the bath towel rolled up as my rifle rest or a pad to lay down if the bench is dirty. I use the hand towel as a hand towel. Your hands will get greasy/sticky/dirty/slippery when shooting black powder guns. You will want something to wipe your hands off. Take a small bottle of rubbing alcohol to help clean your hands. Especially before you get in the truck to go home.

Good call - Already procured some old ones I use with my other guns when out shooting or claening them. Sharpied them GR for Gun Rag so they don't get mixed up, not that that would be easy to do with the beautifully fragrant aroma of Hoppes or CLP emanating from them lol

Got everything else on order pretty much. Now just waiting for it all to get here. Still looking at flasks, found this one TRESO Powder Flask solid brass Muzzleloader 11-75-04 Made in USA.

Since I am not as concerned with being PC/HC I am thinking that would be a good one to throw in a small shoulder or belt pouch when I'm out in the woods or going out to shoot for a bit.

Thinking I can add a horn later with a more PC/HC bag and rifle if I decided to / wanted to.

The brass flasks are nice, just don't leave your powder in there for long. I did once and the powder somehow etched itself into the brass. I had to scrub the tube and both caps with a wire brush to get it out. Now I fill the flask, do my shooting, and pour the powder back into the can before I go home.

The brass flasks are nice, just don't leave your powder in there for long. I did once and the powder somehow etched itself into the brass. I had to scrub the tube and both caps with a wire brush to get it out. Now I fill the flask, do my shooting, and pour the powder back into the can before I go home.
I've not had that problem with brass flasks, but on the Great Plains we generally have lower humidity although it can be quite humid at times.

Thanks - A horn is not out of the question if I'd be better served with one vs a brass flask. I found some Cureton ones I like, just not sure about the sizes of them (medium vs large). I am more concerned about getting what would be better for me as a hunter, walking the woods shooting, shooting on our property/range.

These are the ones I was looking at:
Open to other suggestions if anyone has any other than a brass flask like that one, or a horn. If I go with the flask I'll pour what I don't use back into the canister if that's best based on the above information on it etching itself into the flask.

I find a powder horn with a small neck the most convenient to use. It is easier to poor powder into a powder measure without spilling any and a powder horn with a strap hung around the neck and under the arm makes it very handy to get to. Make sure you drill a hole in the plug and tether it to the horn or you will loose the plug.

Goex powder

Round balls

Flints

Flint tools

Powder horn

Priming flask

Powder measure

Range / Cleaning rod

Ramrod puller

Patches

Patch lube

Gun oil

Cleaner

Possibles bag
I use 3F for priming and loading and it works fine in all my flintlocks ! You will need a possibles bag, short ball starter, extra flints, flint leathers, powder horn or flask, cleaning kit with brass brush and cleaning patch jag or needle, gun oil, ( boiling water and dawn dishwashing liquid are the best bore cleaner you can get !) cotton patches or buy 1 yrd of pillow ticking at Walmart and cut your own for ball patches and cleaning patches, you can make your own patch lube out of 1/3 crisco or coconut lard, 1/3 bees wax or candle wax, 1/3 sheep tallow, or beef tallow plus 2 table spoons of gun oil . Melt everything in a small pot and add in gun oil. Pour in cup cake cups and let them cool . They will harden and then remove the cakes and put them in a zip lock bag . Put one cake in a zip lock bag and put in 100 or more cut patches and 50 round balls and squash them all together in the bag and make sure the patches and balls are well covered ! You can add more patches and balls as you want to carry in your possibles bag, when you get ready to load, just take out a lubed patch and ball and load your rifle. This lube will last a long time and will be enough to last several years! Use 3/4 cup for each ingredient ! The flinters tool kit is a very good tool to have ! A paper clip makes an ideal hole pick and carry a pocket knife to use to cut off excess patch material and to chip off the edge of your flint while it is in the hammer jaws to sharpen your flint when it is needed ! I suggest a steel range rod to use to load when you are target shooting to avoid breaking your ram road as the bore gets dirty ! You can get used items on ebay cheaper than buying new stuff ! Ladies leather cross body boho bags make extremely good possibles bags and will have individual pockets to put tools in and are cheaper than the possibles bags you find. Just modify the bags to suit you and to look more authentic if you want them too ! I am a member of 3 different living history Mountain man/fur trade era shooting clubs and all my stuff is made or re purposed items like the boho bags and they always pass authenticity inspections . After cleaning your muzzle with boiling water and dawn, run a lightly oiled patch down the muzzle to keep it from rusting ! Remove your lock and clean the touch hole in the barrel and clean and oil the back of the lock to remove powder residue to avoid parts from rusting and lube good and replace ! I take some of my home made patch lube and rub it on my entire rifles with a very light, to keep the barrel and steel parts from getting surface rust ! If I hunt in the rain or drizzle, I load and prime my pan and then seal around the edges of my pan with some of the patch lube to seal out the rain and my powder stays dry and will fire even in the rain ! When you buy flints, avoid the ones that are factory cut! They will be straight cut at 45 degree angles on both ends of the flint . These dull fast and are impossible to sharpen unless you use a diamond blade on a rotary tool! Always get the hand napped flints ! Buy a ball and patch puller and keep them in your bag! Sooner or later, you will get a ball hung up in the barrel and will have to pull it out ! Never, Never try and shoot a stuck ball out of your barrel because may blow up or bulge your barrel or blow up all together ! I hope this information helps you. You can make items yourself and avoid the inflated prices on things ! I have been shooting all types of muzzleloading weapons since 1975 and enjoy hunting with my flintlocks more than my centerfire rifles ! You will need to try different sizes of round balls to get the most accurate for your rifle! You will want to get a lee bullet mold and casting ladle and buy a small pot and get some lead and mold your own balls later on if you shoot a lot! It sure cuts down on the cost of shooting and is fun and relaxing !

Thanks - A horn is not out of the question if I'd be better served with one vs a brass flask. I found some Cureton ones I like, just not sure about the sizes of them (medium vs large). I am more concerned about getting what would be better for me as a hunter, walking the woods shooting, shooting on our property/range.

These are the ones I was looking at:
Open to other suggestions if anyone has any other than a brass flask like that one, or a horn. If I go with the flask I'll pour what I don't use back into the canister if that's best based on the above information on it etching itself into the flask.
Any of those horns I can build to hold as much powder as you would like, within reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back