• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tell me about the Kibler smr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Why I should get one. I'm talking myself into it I think. I hsve my swamped 32 cal SMR I built from pecatonica. I'm thinking on a 40 I have a 40 Vincent. I just love 32 and 36 but got 2 of 32 and 1 in 36. But like I say ilove those two calibers. The wood is the hard part for me. I'm a curly maple nut. Love it.
Would do a different wood but I like alot of figure that's why I don't do cherry.walnut is nice if it's fancy.

I'm going to suggest something and I'm completely serious. Since you know you want a Kibler SMR, which is a perfect choice, why not make a game of it. Take some paper and write down all the wood combinations you like and all the caliber combinations you, e.g. Maple .36, and Maple .40. Do a slip of paper for each combination, put them in a hat, and draw. If you decide to do a do over, no body else needs to know.

Because it would make you better than those mouth breathing Traditions owners.

And just think about how much fresher that air will be with your nose mildly elevated.

All said in jest.

.40 would be my choice. A do everything, within reason, caliber.

I'm a trade gun wielding, knuckle-dragging savage and even I have a fancy Kibler SMR. Mine's a .45 and I really wish it had a 1 turn in 56 twist so it grouped better at lower velocity than it does, if it did I could use it on squirrels without worrying about killing someone three counties away if the ball kept going. It groups really well from a rest using at least 60 grains of commercial 3F bumping 1800 fps and a tight patch/ball combo, no problem covering five shots with a 2" pasty sticker at 100 yards. All that to say I wouldn't get the .45 for small game. Not sure what his twist rates are in the smaller bores but I've been seriously considering hitting them up for a .36 caliber barrel since they do them in-house. I don't have a .36 and I think I would shoot it a lot more than I do if it wasn't a 70-twist .45.

Kibler uses some Rice barrels I know.you can get a Rice barrel in the caliber/and twist you want. Send it to Kibler and let them do tge rest. 36 in 1 in 66 or 70 in a SMR would be sweet.I had a Douglas 42 in 1 in66 many years ago. Sold it bug dummy.I woul be interested in what you do or decide to do. I've got 2in 32 one flint one percussion. A 36 in percussion a 40 in percussion its a Vincent and a fussil in 62cal /20 ga.

A .36 or .40 flinter would go nice in your stable. Too bad you missed out on that small batch of crazy patterned ash Jim had a few months ago. If you like grain, this is sure different!

20230219_175532.jpg

If you should ever happen upon the book that has the photos of the Whitson rifle that the Jim Kibler SMR is based upon. The thing that stood out to me was how graceful the rifle is compared to most others in that book. Jim captured that in his design. Something about the proportions and the length of the wrist is pleasing to the eye. If for no other reason, get one (or more) for that.

Take some paper and write down all the wood combinations you like and all the caliber combinations you, e.g. Maple .36, and Maple .40. Do a slip of paper for each combination, put them in a hat, and draw. If you decide to do a do over, no body else needs to know.

I have another variation on that. Write each possible combo on a slip of paper and put them in the hat. Draw one out. What do you hope it is? Don't bother to look at it. Decision made!
I don't have a .36 and I think I would shoot it a lot more than I do if it wasn't a 70-twist .45.
His barrels are Green Mountain. Here are the standard twists.

• Each barrel has eight lands and grooves.
  • Grooves cut .010 to .012" deep, depending on caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 48 inches for .32 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 48 inches for .36 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 56 inches for .40 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 60 inches for .45 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 70 inches for .50 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 70 inches for .54 caliber.
  • Twist is 1 turn in 70 inches for .58 caliber.

Nope, the GM .45 SMR barrel is stamped one turn in 70" and to get groups down to the last inch, the ball has to be throttled pretty hard. A 1 in 60" 45 would be pretty close to ideal. I don't know if this is still true, but my understanding was that in the recent past GM wouldn't rifle his barrels that were .40 and under so Kibler had to invent a way to do it himself. I don't know what his chosen twists were for the .32-.40 calibers done in-house or if he's still having to do his own.

Interesting. I'd heard that kibler rifled the 36. I kinda wonder about that slow twist in a 40!! Maybe because those smaller bores develop relatively fast velocities.

I'd like to have a chance to fiddle with a 1:70 40. The SMR that I'm working on is a 40 with 1:48.

Check out Kiblers Quick Ship Kits- they are discounted because the stocks are sub-standard but you might find something you can live with.
Someone beat me to it on my first couple tries, third was definitely a charm.
It is Extra Fancy curly maple with a blem that Jim said would disappear if you used Aqua Fortis. I did and no one can see it, even when I point it out!!
It’s.45 just like my first one in cherry but I am sold on Extra Fancy CM, it’s worth the extra $ unless you’re gonna do a lot of carving, that makes it too busy.

If I ever get my .54 Colonial done, I'm gonna get a SMR in .36. My very favorite caliber for just messing about in the woods looking for whatever is in season. I've no doubt a .36 would take a deer under good circumstances. Certainly a turkey and smaller critters. Although I believe a 40 is inherently a tad more accurate, but something about the 36 just makes me giggle.

I have .32 and .36 SMR (not Kibler) and agree about the fun AND utility of the small calibers. An SMR in .40 would lift my heart and complete my SMR group. I've taken loads of squirrels with the .32 and a few with the .36. I've also dropped a coon ot two with the .36.

Latest posts

Back