• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pulling a round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very well done and and instructed. I wonder, if it has a stainless steel touch hole liner, would you take that out (removing the lock) to drop in powder? I realize that there are more small parts to lose, but wouldn't it prevent powder slipping tween the barrel and the lock to the rifles interior? Again, very well done,

ps. Why did you turn your face at the shot? (chuckle) I would too.
Good question..I don't know why I turned my head since I've dry balled the guns many of times....LOL

So I've managed to get a dead load stuck in my .50 percussion rifle (Traditions Deerhunter).

I was at the range without dry patches so squeezing out a wet patch as best I could and swabbing only with that after shots. After a dozen or so I got a misfire, which cleaning the nipple and multiple caps would not budge.

When I got home, I cleaned the barrel from the front, not wanting it to rust in a day or two. Just a quick job with soap & water.

I ordered a bullet puller and thought that would be the way to solve this problem. After reading about many issues people have had doing this, I'm now not so sure.

I do have a metal range rod that should be strong enough, but it has a ball end, not a T end, so I'm not sure I'll be able to thread the ball with it.

Would I be better off getting as much of the damp powder out through the nipple hole as I can, then putting in fresh powder and shooting it out?

(This means another trip to the range which is a long drive but I'd hate to end up with a broken-up ball in the barrel, or especially a broken rod...)
Make one of these. Thread the small end to match the threads on the nipple. They work most of the time. I made my ball screw (last ditch) out of a #14 wood screw. I cut off the head and threaded the shank to 10-32, then sharpened the point and threads so I could easily screw the puller through the ball with hand pressure on the end of a steel ram rod. Use a vice grip on the rod to give you some leverage (or lose the ball and make a t handle to replace it). You will usually need a friend to help with the pull, or tie the rod to something immovable, and pull hard. If you do the compressed air method, be sure to drape a cloth loosely over the muzzle to catch the ball as it comes out

Attachments

• Air extractor5.JPG
    Air extractor5.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
Purchased a cleaning rod intended for Browning's unmentionable Ma Deuce. Welding a couple of nuts a couple inches under the swiveling T handle for wrench or plier purchase when getting the ball puller into the ball. Thinking of getting another one to cannibalize for rod sections to braze puller and cleaning jags on. Would not want to lug this on a hunt, but it breaks down and is easy to tote to the range. Need to find some sort of rubber or fiber or plastic washers to keep the rod centered in the bore.
drill larger holes in plumbing (tap) washers for centering.

Make one of these. Thread the small end to match the threads on the nipple. They work most of the time. I made my ball screw (last ditch) out of a #14 wood screw. I cut off the head and threaded the shank to 10-32, then sharpened the point and threads so I could easily screw the puller through the ball with hand pressure on the end of a steel ram rod. Use a vice grip on the rod to give you some leverage (or lose the ball and make a t handle to replace it). You will usually need a friend to help with the pull, or tie the rod to something immovable, and pull hard. If you do the compressed air method, be sure to drape a cloth loosely over the muzzle to catch the ball as it comes out
The rod with the ball end will work fine

This thread is TWO YEARS OLD!!!! I think the OP got the ball out by now.

Back