• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowjock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just given a TC Renegade, 50 cal. flintlock. When I got it the torch hole was all messed up. I finally got that out and ordered what I thought was the replacement liner/vent. It is a SS 1/4 x 28 liner. I just went out to put it in the gun and it fell all the way through the barrel. I had taken a 1/4 x 28 tap to make sure the hole in the barrel was that size, but this liner will sure not work. Is there something else needed to make this work, or what am I missing?

Did you check to make sure the liner was 1/4 28? Sometimes things get put in the wrong package. Last week I bought a packaged 9/64 drill. When I took it out of the plastic blister pack it was clearly a 5/32 drill! Also a 1/4 28 tap will actually fit loosely into a 5/16 threaded hole. :idunno: :idunno:

Yes I checked the threads and they are a 1/4 x 28 as marked on the package. Did by chance some of the older Renegades have a larger torch hole maybe? I have found nothing as a replacement other than the 1/4 x 28. And I am almost sure no one has tried to do any work on this gun, or that I know of at least.

The new torch hole, fell all the way through the hole in the barrel, and I dumped it out the muzzle end. The hole in the barrel can not be a 1/4 x 28 thread. I am scared to run another tap down in for fear of messing the hole up. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated? Does any one have any close up pictures of theirs?

Seems to me, if you ran a 1/4-28 tap into the hole, it too should have fallen thru into the bore. At least the end of it should have.

During the guns lifetime someone may have rethreaded the hole to a 5/16-24, a common size for vent liners.

They also may have replaced the original vent liner with a Chambers "White Lightnin' " vent liner.

This "White Lightnin' " liner has either a 1/4-32 or a 5/16-32 thread.

Obviously, the 1/4-32 thread cannot be used with the stock 1/4-28 thread in the barrel so the hole would have to be rethreaded to a 5/16-32 thread and the larger "White Lightning" liner used.

The fly in the ointment is, a 5/16-32 thread is not a standard thread so I can't tell you to run down to the hardware store and try threading a standard bolt into the hole.

Of course you could try threading a 5/16-24 bolt into the hole.
If it screws in easily, you will then know the thread size for the liner you need to buy.

Added a couple of pics. I know some one has had to have changed this hole. I will try another bolt in the hole tomorrow and see what I get. And then try to find a liner to match..

yup! someone in the past must have rethreaded the hole ... I have a Renegade flinter (also in .50 cal) which I bought in the early 1980s ... I recently replaced the old fashioned liner (the one with the slot) with their newfangled one (with the allen wrench) ... same threads ...

good luck with your project - -sorry someone buggered up your gun!

:(

I talked to the guy that had this, and he said he is sure no one ever touched the gun. Just like it was made. But things sure don't add up. I have contacted TC and will wait for their reply. I know for a fact that the torch hole is 1/4 x 28, but the hole in the barrel sure is not.

well, I will assume that your guy is an honest fellow - no reason to expect otherwise - and that he is telling you the truth as he knows it, but therein lies the rub: somewhere, the hole was tapped for something other than 1/4x28 threads. This could have happened at the factory (since the barrel was made by people, and people often do odd and inexplicable things) but, aside from a really weird joke, or a prank gone wrong, I cannot envision this as anything except a very remote possibility.

... or ...

someone other than your guy made a switcheroo, and was embarrassed by his poor workmanship and didn't say anything about it, and the whole thing was forgotten until now. in any case, I would venture to guess that the hole is at least 5/16.

curious to see how it turns out, but I'm pretty confident that there's a vent liner out there somewhere which will fit what you have and get you up and shooting your new rifle, which you will love: these guns are sort of like having your daughter date a paratrooper: you can throw out his Playboy magazine collection, demand that she never see him again, have his car towed and so on: you can kick him out of your house, but you'll never get him out of your heart.

(I ought to know- I was one)

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I know that the hole that is in the barrel is not a 5/16 for sure. Just don't know if it is a 1/4 x28 or not as the new liner just falls through. I firmly believe that some one did something and it came out wrong. I have emailed TC and waiting on a response. At the worst, I will get a new 5/16 liner and drill the barrel out for that. If I have to go that route, do you thing a good drill press will do the jog accurately and worth takeing the time to fix it? Or should I seek a gunsmith or have some one else fix it?

The original came out in pieces and there is nothing there to measurer. I wished it were that way.

bowjock said:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I know that the hole that is in the barrel is not a 5/16 sub 1/4 herefor sure. Just don't know if it is a 1/4sub 5/16 here x28 or not as the new liner just falls through.

I think you mistyped the above as 5/16 is larger than 1/4 (4/16) and the 1/4-28 fell thru. So now you just need to know the thread pitch on the 5/16 hole and order the correct liner. Then measure the wall thickness and trim the liner to that length to keep the liner from protruding into the bore.

Yes a gunsmith can do this but I'm sure you can too and save $ and 2 trips to the gunsmith.

MSW a boogered thread in a barrel at the factory could and probably would have been corrected by installing a larger liner rather than throwing away a breech plug but I agree that is a VERY low probability. We also don't know if TC bought breech plugs from a sub contractor (greatly increasing the possibility an over size liner would have been installed).

Greatest probability as you pointed out is the liner was replaced at some point no matter the reason or who did it or who they told or didn't tell.

Now it is what it is, Could even be a metric thread! First step in scientific problem solving is to ACCURATELY define the problem. In this case the problem is that the thread is unknown. So determine the thread size and pitch then act accordingly.

40 flint. Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that the hole that is now in the barrel, when measured it comes out to .250 thousandths. Only measured with a caliper as far down as I could measure. The new 1/4 x 28 thread torch hole will fall all the way through the hole and into the barrel. The hole that is in the barrel now is not any where close to .312 thousandths so a 5/16 of any thread will not fit in this hole.

I'm getting a headache reading this. Go get a 1/4 in bolt and a 5/16 nut, does the bolt fall through the nut the same as your vent and barrel? if so get a 5/16 vent the right thread.

Back