• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Macon Pattern Conversion 1842 Springfield Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any source for a pattern/instruction sheet for making a 1842 Macon Conversion from a replica musket? Where, what to shorten, etc. Not too crazy about shipping such an item to Lodgewood, although I know they are a good company. Today's shipping & poss. theft, etc., bugs me. I have a good ML-savvy 'smith to do metal work, etc. Thanks, guys.

Any source for a pattern/instruction sheet for making a 1842 Macon Conversion from a replica musket? Where, what to shorten, etc. Not too crazy about shipping such an item to Lodgewood, although I know they are a good company. Today's shipping & poss. theft, etc., bugs me. I have a good ML-savvy 'smith to do metal work, etc. Thanks, guys.

I would like the same information.
A couple of hours ago at a gun show in Springfield, MO I handled what was probably a Macon Conversion (original) Springfield smoothbore .69. Barrel measured 31” and handled like a dream.
Would like to get a replica and have the stock slimmed down properly, barrel and fore-stock shortened, and top barrel band set back to match the one I saw today. I took a couple of measurements of it while I was there.
Want one bad l, and have thousands of musket caps I need to use up before I get much older and die.

Last edited:
I would like the same information.
A couple of hours ago at a gun show in Springfield, MO I handled what was probably a Macon Conversion (original) Springfield smoothbore .69. Barrel measured 31” and handled like a dream.
Would like to get a replica and have the stock slimmed down properly, barrel and fore-stock shortened, and top barrel band set back to match the one I saw today. I took a couple of measurements of it while I was there.
Want one bad l, and have thousands of musket caps I need to use up before I get much older and die.
John Zimmerman does 'de-farbs'; he's in Harper's Ferry.

I can't speak from experience, but the last time I heard or read, Mr. Zimmerman was getting ready to retire, may have had an apprentice working for him. I'd go with Lodge, if I were you. (Can't verify this, just MHO.) I wish Mr. Zimmerman well, but Lodgewood seems to be a going concern with lots of experience. Hope you get some helpful replies.

Update: I'm having my barrel cut to shorten; the N-NSA guys replied to my inquiry, and said the Macon specs are a general guideline as other facilities in the South did repairs on that type musket, and the wartime conditions probably resulted in many variances. (Not their exact quote). They really are the source for info on muskets, for sure.

Back