• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Percussion lock will not go into full half cock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My TC Seneca's lock will go into half cock, but the hammer is not far back enough to cap the nipple. It has to be carefully capped in full cock.
I have never taken a TC lock apart, and do not have a coil spring vise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BobbyMoon

It needs oil. The Fly Detent is seized.
There is nothing called a coil spring vise nor is there a need for one.
Take the lock out,, press on the sear with your thumb and let the hammer down all the way to the lock plate frame,,
, use a needle nose pliers and grab the pointy end of the spring shaft,,, move the thing,, the shaft and spring come out just as easy as that.
Honest, Try It.

Clean the lock, oil the lock, tighten those plate screws,,
If it's never been done, there is nothing wrong with taking those screws out and cleaning the lock parts all scrubby like with soap and water, even pull the sear plunger and spring and clean those,,,
Oh, and did I say oil the lock?

Last edited:
Depending on the nipple installed it’s not uncommon to have minimal clearance at the half cock position making it difficult to install a new cap. You can try a shorter nipple or just ease the hammer back enough to put a cap on. If you have to go to full cock, just keep your fingers away from the trigger. And following the advice @necchi gave will give you a much better preforming lock.

Back