• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken range day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My buddy and I spent yesterday shooting our TC Hawken .50 cal. rifles at the local 100-yd. public range in preparation for the upcoming deer season this Sept. I tried a variety of load combinations including Hornady .490 and Speer .495 balls, thick (.015) and thin (.010) prelubed patches, Hornady Great Plains 385-gr. lead conicals, and 60-80 grs. of Triple 7. We get an average of 5-6 shots off for each timed 15 min. shooting interval. That's a guess since we really never kept count. It sounds slow, but we weren't in no hurry. We shot from about 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the day's temps reaching into the mid-90 degrees.

Never got a good enough group with the round balls. In the end I settled on 65-grs. of T7 with the Great Plains conical, CCI #11 caps. At 100 yds. I got two 3-shot groups measuring 2-1/2" and 1-1/4" (all touching) off a rest. Both groups land at 7 o'clock and are 2-1/2" low of the X-ring. I used a 12" Shoot-N-C target and at 100 yds. my gun's front bead covers the entire target. I should have centered the group but motivation was starting to fade in direct proportion to the welt growing under my left aiming eye. For the last 35 mins. we spent dialing in his scoped TC .45-70 Contender with 300-gr. and 405-gr. handloads. It was a good day.

Zip said:
...the welt growing under my left aiming eye.

Don't I know that one! :rotf:

Sounds as though your build isn't quite right for that comb. I swear TC designed them for optional scope use, because you really have to bury your head in the stock to line up the standard sights. You can either go to taller sights or lower the comb, but either will make you (and your cheek) a whole bunch happier.

Zip said:
My buddy and I spent yesterday shooting our TC Hawken .50 cal. rifles at the local 100-yd. public range in preparation for the upcoming deer season this Sept. I tried a variety of load combinations including Hornady .490 and Speer .495 balls, thick (.015) and thin (.010) prelubed patches, Hornady Great Plains 385-gr. lead conicals, and 60-80 grs. of Triple 7. We get an average of 5-6 shots off for each timed 15 min. shooting interval. That's a guess since we really never kept count. It sounds slow, but we weren't in no hurry. We shot from about 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the day's temps reaching into the mid-90 degrees.

Never got a good enough group with the round balls. In the end I settled on 65-grs. of T7 with the Great Plains conical, CCI #11 caps. At 100 yds. I got two 3-shot groups measuring 2-1/2" and 1-1/4" (all touching) off a rest. Both groups land at 7 o'clock and are 2-1/2" low of the X-ring. I used a 12" Shoot-N-C target and at 100 yds. my gun's front bead covers the entire target. I should have centered the group but motivation was starting to fade in direct proportion to the welt growing under my left aiming eye. For the last 35 mins. we spent dialing in his scoped TC .45-70 Contender with 300-gr. and 405-gr. handloads. It was a good day.

I'd recommend a felt wad under the bullet. My rifle likes the 50 cal Hornady great plains 385 grain bullet with the felt wad under it and 90 grains of Triple Seven 2F with CCI #11 mag caps. Another thing to try is using a 6 o'clock hold. I do that and set the sights to hit where I'm holding which gives me a dead on zero for hunting. My rifle will shoot under an inch at 50 yards with the load above. Your rifle may prefer something else.

BrownBear, it doesn't help that I'm a real stock hugger when it comes to getting a weld on guns. I have always done this and it may have to do with my low cheek bones.

Rat Trapper thanks for the advice on the felt wad. I have never shot with them before. Is there a particular wad size to use? Also, I like the 6 o'clock hold tip. That makes sense so I can at least see the target at 100 yds. Any idea what that does to your 50-yd. POI?

Rat Trapper, I meant to ask about your 90-gr. T7 load. On the advice I've seen on this forum, guys are saying to back off about 20% with T7 compared to real black. Given that tip, your 90-gr. load would be equal to almost 115 grs. of black. Does the load, combined with the magnum cap, shoot safely? That must also generate pretty substantial recoil! Have you shot groups at 100 yds.?

Zip said:
Rat Trapper, I meant to ask about your 90-gr. T7 load. On the advice I've seen on this forum, guys are saying to back off about 20% with T7 compared to real black. Given that tip, your 90-gr. load would be equal to almost 115 grs. of black. Does the load, combined with the magnum cap, shoot safely? That must also generate pretty substantial recoil! Have you shot groups at 100 yds.?

I called TC and talked direct with them on the amount of Triple Seven I could use in their rifles. The asured me that in a TC Hawken 5o cal I could use up to 100 grains of Triple Seven 2F. I went with 90 as that load was more accurate. When working in the local sport shop I also called Knight regarding Triple Seven loads and was told Hodgdon was simply doing CYA because there are plenty of cheap import rifles out there.
I would recommend that anyone wishing to use heavier charges of Triple Seven contact the maker of their rifle and as they direct. Most of them have a place on their web site where you can email them a question. Some rifles like heavy loads some don't. The only way you know is to try it. I have had the best luck with the heavy loads in both my 50 & 54 TC rifles. Don't forget the felt wad.

True that but an arch punch of the appropriate size can knock out a hundred in a few minutes and you can buy them for about $12 shipped. I use an felt OP wad or a card in every black powder rifle I own. It's shown me more accuracy and less patch burning since all I'd been able to shoot were subs. I have finally acquired some Goex,(thanks again roundball!) gonna shoot a pound of FFG and see how my rifles like it....but I'll still put something between the powder and the prb.

I will make a run to the local shop that stocks muzzleloading gear and give the wads a try. Many thanks for all the advice.

So I'm back from Sportsman's Warehouse with more stuff. Got the OP wads. Couldn't find the Ox Yoke Originals, got something called Muzzleloader Originals. Looking at the things I'm wondering how do I get this little lubed, felt wad down the barrel without it twisting or flipping around on the way down? Is there a method to this madness? If I use PRB, it goes before the patch right? With a conical do I put it on the bullet's butt and push down together or separately?

Zip said:
So I'm back from Sportsman's Warehouse with more stuff. Got the OP wads. Couldn't find the Ox Yoke Originals, got something called Muzzleloader Originals. Looking at the things I'm wondering how do I get this little lubed, felt wad down the barrel without it twisting or flipping around on the way down? Is there a method to this madness? If I use PRB, it goes before the patch right? With a conical do I put it on the bullet's butt and push down together or separately?
You can either push the wad down the bore with your thumb then load the conical on top or use your ram rod to seat it on top on the powder charge then load the conical. You shouldn't need it when using a PRB but you can always try it and see if it helps. If so, load the same way you did when using conicals; powder, wad, bullet. Seat everything snug but no need to lean on it.

Back