• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Damaged Screw?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son and I bought this about a year ago. Had some fun learning about muzzleloading but haven't been able to go out much lately for a variety of reasons.

He's been working on it recently and noticed this. Some sort of screw (?) in the portion of the barrel where the nipple goes that looks like it's been buggered up somehow. Can anyone shed any light on what this may be?

Serial number is 17xxx if that helps.

TC Hawken.JPG

yep. some call them the cleanout screw.. Pull it and you can run a wire through tunnel under nipple and into the barrel. Yours is surely boogered..

Make sure to sure to use correct thread metric. US fine will screw right in and get tight, but only a small part of the tread will bight. Had a shooter beside me shoot one out into her arm, ouch...

My son and I bought this about a year ago. Had some fun learning about muzzleloading but haven't been able to go out much lately for a variety of reasons.

He's been working on it recently and noticed this. Some sort of screw (?) in the portion of the barrel where the nipple goes that looks like it's been buggered up somehow. Can anyone shed any light on what this may be?

View attachment 133337
I would attack the screw with small diamond files until it was perfectly smooth and then apply a good coat of cold blue. After that, forget you ever saw it. It’s simply an artifact of the manufacturing process.

My son and I bought this about a year ago. Had some fun learning about muzzleloading
So after shooting for about year you want to remove the so called ‘clean out’ screw that has not caused any problems? You are likely to create a problem if you attempt removal, but it’s your gun, so do as you like. As others have suggested, I would leave it alone. Maybe clean up the damaged end as someone suggested so it looks pretty, but that’s it. This is not a new topic. Plenty of old threads on it.

View attachment 133337
That screw is much discussed. It is a manufacturing plug that closes the drilling for the flash channel. Rather than describe what it is, it has been called a "clean out screw". In theory this is a good idea to provide access for cleaning and perhaps access for some powder for clearing a dry ball. In practice, T/C used a very soft steel screw that is easily twisted to the point that it cannot be removed. This caused much replacement of breech plugs under T/C's lifetime warranty. This led to T/C redesigning the breech plug so there is no longer a "clean out screw".

So, follow the advice given and do not worry about that screw. Smooth it over. There is nothing with respect to a clean out that can't be done by removing the nipple.

Thanks for all the advice. He's going to leave it as is, maybe carefully file down any rough spots.

Next up will be a question about corrosion on the very rear end of the barrel, IF I can get some good pics with my new endoscope.

I think you already have what you need, but one more vote in the "Leave well enough alone!" pile.

I had the same question on my used TC Hawken, only I was worried it was actually a set screw that locked the nipple in place (which at the time was firmly stuck). Got in touch with the folks at TC and they told me to leave it alone as well, message copied below if it helps put your mind at ease!

But apart from that, have been shooting for a year with that bugger firmly stuck where it was at, no issue. And no real challenges cleaning, either.

-----------------------------
Reference number: LTK1114701937767X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: Stuck set(?) screw and nipple on .50cal T/C Percussion Hawken Rifle

Thank you for contact Thompson Center. That screw is a clean out screw and does not hold the nipple in place. You can also try dropping some penetrating fluid in there to see if it loosens the nipple.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us

Thank you and Have a Great Day!

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards, Veronica

Both my TC’s have the screw but on the opposite side of the breech. For years I removed them for cleaning purposes then replacing them with a smidgen of copper grease. A waste of time, I don’t any more, one more vote for leave them alone.

View attachment 133337
I thought about taking mine out in early 80's when I bought mine friends said leave it alone if it is firing and screw/plug isn't leaking leave it alone

Mine front the late 70's has the same, one from 2000 has Allen head set screw. 54 from early 90's has Allen head set screw. Only time I take it out is to put in a bit of powder in the case of a non fire of main charge because it is a straight shot into chamber and allows me to push a pick straight in. The one from the 70's was stuck 6 months after I built it from kit and broke half of the head off. Hasn't been out since, over 50 years ago

Both my TC’s have the screw but on the opposite side of the breech. For years I removed them for cleaning purposes then replacing them with a smidgen of copper grease. A waste of time, I don’t any more, one more vote for leave them alone.
The screws on the opposite side of the breech are for plugging a drilled hole from the manufacturing process and are not intended to be removed.

Back