• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Time. TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Dale, of all the good people here that have helped me [as a beginner] out, you have done, probably the most for me. But....I have no experience w bore butter [yet] but I merely have 2 50 cal Hawkens. One is a Traditions Woodsman that I cannot make misfire. It just shoots...over and over. And w that fireproof triple 7 2f to boot. The design of the drum seems to prevent my jag from going far enough to plug the flash hole from between shot swabbing. [I have measured this.] The other is a stainless TC that will misfire every time if I take the jag and patch past the drum. [Also measured this.] I am just using a light spray of alcohol on the patch, not soaked at all. [But still probably a no no for some.] I am careful about tapping the charge into the drum w both rifles. When the TC misfires and I pull the nipple, the drum is empty. I charge it, replace nipple and Bang-every time. So....maybe guns are like wives-all temperamental in their unique and beautiful ways. I don't think for a minute that my limited experience w just 2 rifles should change anyone's successful routine one iota. If it is working for you, don't fix it. My thought-You should use bore butter and Grenadier should not. And don't loan each other your rifles either. I mean it ! And I will bet good money that advice gets followed. I'm not saying what I will do. At least until after your nap. :] Now where did I put that petroleum jelly for my patches when I want to chamber a roundball ??? Now the OP has some experimenting to do. SW
"Loan your wife out before you loan your gun. The wife can take care of herself, the gun cannot.".... me

I don't normally swab between shots. It is inconvenient to do so and seems to cause as many problems as it solves. One Idea that seemed somewhat reasonable I read somewhere is to use something like Murphy's Oil Soap... just a slight dampening... on the shooting patches when doing a long shooting session. This makes sense as MOS is a solvent, not really a lube. I haven't tried this yet though. I suspect it would not work well in Wisconsin winters.

My favorite gun has a ringed barrel and will only shoot a few shots... maybe five... before fouling starts to clog the grooves. The only fix for this is probably to have it re-bored and relined... which is what I have planned for it as soon as Mr. Hoyt starts taking new work. I suspect that other guns with this issue have similar problems with the bore.

People have actually used petroleum jelly. It will cause fouling, but it works if that's all you got to use. Personally, I would start using spit patches before Vaseline. Hmmm.... I wonder if anyone has tried KY Jelly? Just a random impure thought related to wives.

Yeah, guns are very much like wives I suppose in some ways... but they don't seem to mind if one fondles other guns. ;)

Thanks for the praise and I'm glad I could help.

This is my plan for whenever I’m back home to do it. I used this method first time when cleaning and getting familiar with the rifle. More or less I’m going to look at options for field cleaning as well is what I meant by minimalist.
For field cleaning while up in the mountains, all I have ever used was TC 13. The stuff flat out works.

For cleaning with water, all one needs is a small water bottle with a little bit of dish soap in it. It can be made up prior to the hunt or range time. Put a small chunk of leather over the nipple, hold the ML muzzle up, place a rag or towel around the muzzle with one hand, and pour the water down into the barrel. The water does not have to be hot. Warm water is okay, cold will work. Allow to sit for 10 minutes or so, remove the leather over the nipple, and pour the water out of the barrel. Run some dry cleaning patches down the barrel to dry it up. Follow up with whatever you want to use. Personally, I either follow up with TC13 or with some good oil if I am done cleaning and the ML will not be used that day.

One thing I always ascertain is to clean the flash channel out. TC13 or some other good BP solvent is excellent for this. Pour enough down the barrel so it runs out the nipple and/or flash hole to ascertain it is clean. If I am done with the ML for a while, I coat the heck out of the barrel with a good gun oil plus I remove the nipple and pour a few drops down the flash hole. Before loading the next time out, I remove the nipple and blow compressed air down that flash hole and out into the barrel. That will get rid of any oil remaining. Then follow up with dry patch or two as needed. Then always snap a cap or two before loading.

I never have a misfire.

Last edited:
For field cleaning while up in the mountains, all I have ever used was TC 13. The stuff flat out works.

For cleaning with water, all one needs is a small water bottle with a little bit of dish soap in it. It can be made up prior to the hunt or range time. Put a small chunk of leather over the nipple, hold the ML muzzle up, place a rag or towel around the muzzle with one hand, and pour the water down into the barrel. The water does not have to be hot. Warm water is okay, cold will work. Allow to sit for 10 minutes or so, remove the leather over the nipple, and pour the water out of the barrel. Run some dry cleaning patches down the barrel to dry it up. Follow up with whatever you want to use. Personally, I either follow up with TC13 or with some good oil if I am done cleaning and the ML will not be used that day.

One thing I always ascertain is to clean the flash channel out. TC13 or some other good BP solvent is excellent for this. Pour enough down the barrel so it runs out the nipple and/or flash hole to ascertain it is clean. If I am done with the ML for a while, I coat the heck out of the barrel with a good gun oil plus I remove the nipple and pour a few drops down the flash hole. Before loading the next time out, I remove the nipple and blow compressed air down that flash hole and out into the barrel. That will get rid of any oil remaining. Then follow up with dry patch or two as needed. Then always snap a cap or two before loading.

I never have a misfire.
Seems like a good regimen for field cleaning. I never actually go far enough that I can't get home before the end of the day, so I've never needed a field cleaning kit or procedure. I have a bottle of T/C 13 in my cleaning box, but I don't think I have ever used it other than just to "try it out". It worked, but no better than my standard bucket of hot water with Murphy's Oil Soap.

I envy you mountain folks as I do not have any mountains within four or five hundred miles. There are no mule deer here, very few elk, no mountain goats or antelopes and (according to the DNR) no cougars. Then again, I don't have earthquakes, grizzly bears, volcanoes or avalanches either... and no demented crazoids from California.

In the past when I shot a deer, I gutted it, then washed my hands in the creek and walked up to the farm house. Diane the farmer's wife would get the skid steer and I would ride the bucket back to the deer. Then we would then ride back to the farm where the deer would be hung up for the evening. No packing it out. Didn't even have to drag it very far. I suppose it made me kinda soft and lazy. ;)

Patch Lube.jpg

Seems like a good regimen for field cleaning. I never actually go far enough that I can't get home before the end of the day, so I've never needed a field cleaning kit or procedure. I have a bottle of T/C 13 in my cleaning box, but I don't think I have ever used it other than just to "try it out". It worked, but no better than my standard bucket of hot water with Murphy's Oil Soap.

I envy you mountain folks as I do not have any mountains within four or five hundred miles. There are no mule deer here, very few elk, no mountain goats or antelopes and (according to the DNR) no cougars. Then again, I don't have earthquakes, grizzly bears, volcanoes or avalanches either... and no demented crazoids from California.

In the past when I shot a deer, I gutted it, then washed my hands in the creek and walked up to the farm house. Diane the farmer's wife would get the skid steer and I would ride the bucket back to the deer. Then we would then ride back to the farm where the deer would be hung up for the evening. No packing it out. Didn't even have to drag it very far. I suppose it made me kinda soft and lazy. ;)

Dale, I now use the water bottle and soap as my primary cleaning process, even at home. I pulled the barrel, put a lot of Bore Butter on the underside of the barrel, as well in the stock cut out, put them back on, and do the above. That should take care of any rust IF one were to allow water to get down in between them. That's why I use a rag or old towel to hold the end of the barrel with, it keeps any water from running down the outside of the barrel. I pull the barrel ever 5+ times or so just to make sure everything is okay. Easy to pour water out of a water bottle into the bore without spilling any. Many people use ballistol after dumping the water. I follow up with TC13 and oil.

I have tested this process by pulling the barrel afterwards, putting the breech in hot soapy water, pumping patches up and down, and the water came out clean.

Dale, I now use the water bottle and soap as my primary cleaning process, even at home. I pulled the barrel, put a lot of Bore Butter on the underside of the barrel, as well in the stock cut out, put them back on, and do the above. That should take care of any rust IF one were to allow water to get down in between them. That's why I use a rag or old towel to hold the end of the barrel with, it keeps any water from running down the outside of the barrel. I pull the barrel ever 5+ times or so just to make sure everything is okay. Easy to pour water out of a water bottle into the bore without spilling any. Many people use ballistol after dumping the water. I follow up with TC13 and oil.

I have tested this process by pulling the barrel afterwards, putting the breech in hot soapy water, pumping patches up and down, and the water came out clean.
If it works, then it works!

Once I use up some of the gear I have already bought I’m sure this will be my new method as well(I can’t stand having un-used stuff on my shelves, I’d rather use it up and then move on).

In saying all this I know a lot of you are very familiar with Track of the Wolf. Does anybody know if they actually have a retail store as well(to physically visit)? Or is it all online only? I just so happen to only live a few hours north. When weather permits it would be a great opportunity to ride the bike down and get some supplies.

Once I use up some of the gear I have already bought I’m sure this will be my new method as well(I can’t stand having un-used stuff on my shelves, I’d rather use it up and then move on).

In saying all this I know a lot of you are very familiar with Track of the Wolf. Does anybody know if they actually have a retail store as well(to physically visit)? Or is it all online only? I just so happen to only live a few hours north. When weather permits it would be a great opportunity to ride the bike down and get some supplies.

Don't know if they have an actual open store to visit. Perhaps give them a call or send an email and find out.

I do know I would like to have about a $5,000 gift card for Track Of The Wolf. :)

Latest posts

Back