• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken barrel condition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a renegade thats in far worse condition and I think replaceing that boat anchor would be the way to go.
Looking at these pics, I wonder if there are any companies making replacement barrels for our TC sidelocks.

I have a renegade thats in far worse condition and I think replaceing that boat anchor would be the way to go.
Looking at these pics, I wonder if there are any companies making replacement barrels for our TC sidelocks.

Oregon barrel company. You can make them yourself but the parts will cost almost as much as buying one.

I bought one locally just as bad if not worse. Cleaned up decent enough, but I ended up needing to soak in ATF and boil the breech area of the barrel to get the nipple to release.

I always figured the first inch or so in front of the breechplug wasn't too important. Just where the powder ignites. The ball and patch will never go there. But from there to the muzzle, barrel should be shiny with sharp rifling for best results.

My second-hand T/C bore looks a lot like than and it shoots great. Give it a good cleaning according to some of the methods mentioned above and I'm sure you'll be happy with how it shoots.

@tallPercshooter, if the bore is pitted where the patched ball is sitting, the ignition will shred the patch before the ball is contacting the barrel and accuracy will be lost. I've seen barrels go from being tack drivers to pattern makers when the pitting gets too deep at the breech. The only solution is to cut off the bad section and rebreech the barrel. Works best with a straight barrel as the pins through the barrel lugs have to be moved. Often the sights have to be moved as well. One of the club member's rifle had evidence of sights and barrel lugs being on three different flats from rebreeching.

Back