• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What style of target do you guys find the easiest to see with open sights? I have been looking for downloads, but didn't find much that I think would work good.

mrfishnhunt said:
What style of target do you guys find the easiest to see with open sights? I have been looking for downloads, but didn't find much that I think would work good.
BIG ones :grin: . I like using the 50 yd slow fire pistol target (B-8 I think it is) and I put a 3" florescent round paster in the center. You can do the same with a roll of brown butcher's paper & 3" florescent round paster.

WHITE BULLS EYEs !! your sights are dark. they show up much better with a white bull's eye,BIG white bull's eyes.

I like the ones that leave a red circle around the bullet hole. That way I don't have to walk all the way to the target to get an idea of how I am shooting. They have some black stuff over red underneath and when you shoot the target it knocks some of the black off and reveals a ring of red around the bullet holes.

Mrfishnhunt:

Lots of good suggestions here. However, depending on your expectations, a target should be the more than just the destination of our bullets. It is actually an essential part of the sight alignment/sight picture fundamental that allows you to shoot accurately. Contrast is number one, combined with visibility, then sized proportionally based on distance. Blackened sights are easiest to see in good light. A round black bullseye sized so as to appear the same thickness as your front sight at the distance you are shooting will nearly always allow you to get excellent sight picture. I teach the "6 O'clock" hold where the front sight just touches the bottom of the round black bullseye. This is the most exact and repeatable sight picture. If the bullseye is correctly sized, left/right alignment is assured. Having the front sight just touch the bottom of the black allows for precision in up and down alignment. If the black front sight wanders into the black bullseye you will end up with up and down elongated groups instead of round ones. Using the 6 O'clock hold you may need to trim the front sight height to get the bullets to land in the center of the target, but it will nearly always give the best groups on paper.

I paint my sights white, both ends.
I am always amazed how folks can see a black target with black sights! :bow:

Paul

Draw a 1" black circle in the center of a sheet of printer paper, scan and print,,
Too small,, make it an 1 1/2".
I can see that 1 inch black dot out to 100yrds.

Seriously though.....I usually just make an orange dot on white paper with a bingo marker or I make a small 1-2" square with a fat red magic marker....

My favorite paper target is either 6" or 9" paper plates. For the 6" plates I put a 1.5"X1.5" piece of blue painters tape as a aiming point for 50 yards or less. The 9" plates get a 3" square of blue painters tape in the center for 50 Plus yards shots. I buy the plates in bulk, (500/pkg) and a roll each of 1.5" and 3" tape will last far longer than I will probably be shooting in my remaining life span.
Bullet holes show up pretty well on these targets.

The better the target, the better the results.

Why are you practicing? Your practice should be what your shooting. I have 2 plywood deer with 8 inch gongs where theyre lungs should be. Broadside and quartering away. I also got a steel grouse and squirrel.

Back to paper. I aim at the bottom of something, the bullet goes a smudge higher at 25, a few inches higher at 50 and right at the bottom of what I'm aiming at at 100.

I like brown versus white for a background. Circles are easier to put the sight on the bottom than sqaures. I use construction paper on cardboard or brown paper. I shield the target from the sun with plywood. Glare sucks.

Learn 10 yards and 25 yards very well if you like woods walk shoots. They always got a score or tie breaker.

Hit the gold ball at 25, hit a 6 inch gong at 50. Then hit something huge aND tall at 100. That's most woodswalks by me.

I also collect woodswalks paper targets. Squirrels, shoot the ball without shooting the hand holding it, nmlra bottles. There's so many out there

PaulTBarton said:
I paint my sights white, both ends.
I am always amazed how folks can see a black target with black sights! :bow:

Paul

I have tried all kinds of colors on front sights with my ml-ers and modern pistols. I usually gravitate back to black. It (for me) still provides a good contrast for aiming, even under hunting conditions in low light. I think there is a reason why the patridge type sights and small black acorn or blade sights were popular for so long back in the day.

Back