• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Targets; Opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you consider to be best target offered for 100 yd range? I have tired old eyes and bifocals and shooting iron open sights to try and comply with NMLRA rules. At 50 yards the green 5 bull rifle targets almost dissappear so that I have to blacken them in. At 100 yrd The black red bull dirty bird targets are a indistinguishable blurr. I am a cheapskate, so before I run-out and willy-nilly buy a bunch of different styles. What are your go to options.

Well there is something to be said for steel plates, especially when you go farther away than 100 yards. I've been lucky to be able to shoot my flinter 200 yards, and it sure saves time hearing a "Ping!" and seeing the target swing a bit.

I like a target that is white with a dark bullseye. That allows me to judge how I'm holding on the target in contrast to my front sight post.

LD

Referring to cataract procedure. had it done a year ago, had been wearing glasses since age 45 (now 73) and was up to trifocals. When the Dr asked "what type' vision I wanted , I stated sharp vision distant instead of up close for reading. was it worth it ! Absolutely ! u[ close reading only need 1.5x reading glasses other then that vision is sharp, clear. I can see and read up close, like computer screen with out glasses but they just make it a little easier. anything else greater then arm length or farther is great !
My experience exactly.

I have not shot a regulated NMLRA match to be able to really be able to comment on using peeps on my kentucky rifle to state that they would be considered period correct. So for now I think sight correction is the way of the grasshopper for now.
Broke down and spent $5.65 at harbor freight, a little black plastic and a 1/16 bit and ended up with the following. They really cleaned up my sight picture at approx 50 yds. Time will be the tell.
I use this to attach to my glasses. They area bit more expensive, but they do the job better for me since I wear bifocals. The iris is adjustable, and I can position it above the reading part of my glasses.
Gehmann Stick On Iris for Ordinary Glasses

First two shots with my new .32.
50yds
2@50 20gr 3F.jpg

FWIW, I was using a 6 o'clock hold. On the red bullseye ;)

That's how all my guns are sighted in that have blade front sights.
I have never liked the 6 O'clock aiming convention either. I sight all of my guns for dead-on accuracy at a given range. If I have to shoot closer or further away I either adjust my sights (for target shooting or competition) or use good old tried and proven Kentucky windage. Most of my modern scopes now are Vortex with BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) which works for both windage and elevation.

Most exploding targets require high velocity rifles.
These Firebird stick on targets can be set off with an air rifle going 800 fps + so no problem with a muzzleloader

buck horn sights is almost like a peep sight. I would start at 50 yards use a 6 o'clock hold if it's low file down the front sight until you hit just 2 inches above center. Go to the hundred yard you should be on target. You can also adjust powder charge will change things aswell
I'm not the one to adequately explain the target size limitation, but there has to be one. I've always used a 6 o'clock hold, it's how I was taught as a kid. But most everything I shot at or shoot at with open sights is bird sized, or say a 2-3 inch circle. Now I need something larger to see, at least a 4" square or circle and the 6 o'clock hold isn't working out as well. I hope someone well versed can give us both more information.

I wish I could understand the 6 o'clock hold. It doesn't make sense to me how you can put the black on top of the front sight and always hit the center of the target. How does that work for a 6" round target, or 8", or 16"?
Not unless your target is always the same size and has a standard. Like bullseye shooting at a set distance.

When I'm shooting a round target and I can't actually see the bullseye, I try to split the target in half. That way I know my elevation is at least on the same plane as the bullseye.

If I'm shooting a silhouette it takes me a bit longer to find the ten X.

I just never understood it or had it explained to me to where the light bulb went off.
I think the question of a 6 o'clock hold is being over thought. It's not necessarily for hunting or for general plinking, shooting steel, water bottles or targets of opportunity. I use it only when working up loads or shooting a "bullseye" type target in a match and only if the gun had been sighted in for that particular target. The 6 o'clock hold allows you to resolve the sight picture better for more accurate shot placement like you need when working up loads or sighting in for hunting. If I'm sighting in for hunting, steel matches or plinking I use a 6" black bullseye target @ 50 yards and aim 6 o'clock and I want to HIT at 6 o'clock. Generally, the 6 o'clock hold is merely a tool to get a better sight picture to eliminate the most error as possible. It's not a "rule" but simply a tool.

I think the question of a 6 o'clock hold is being over thought. It's not necessarily for hunting or for general plinking, shooting steel, water bottles or targets of opportunity. I use it only when working up loads or shooting a "bullseye" type target in a match and only if the gun had been sighted in for that particular target. The 6 o'clock hold allows you to resolve the sight picture better for more accurate shot placement like you need when working up loads or sighting in for hunting. If I'm sighting in for hunting, steel matches or plinking I use a 6" black bullseye target @ 50 yards and aim 6 o'clock and I want to HIT at 6 o'clock. Generally, the 6 o'clock hold is merely a tool to get a better sight picture to eliminate the most error as possible. It's not a "rule" but simply a tool.

Exactly what I alluded to.
Maybe we're both over thinking it.

Exactly what I alluded to.
Maybe we're both over thinking it.
Maybe, but I shoot a number of disciplines and each uses their sights differently so I have to think about it. For example, Palma, F class, Hi Power and PRS all use basically the same rifles, calibers and shoot the same distances but all use sights in a different manner.

To properly zero a any firearm you need a precise / repeatable aiming point that is easy to define. For iron sights, I use a black bullseye and the 6'oclock hold for ZERO only. I will adjust the point of impact to where I was aiming (6'oclock) . After that I aim center at what I'm shooting at, plates, deer, clay targets... and adjust my hold for range. The exception would be if your target as a scoring black bullseye target where you would adjust your zero to the center of the target with a 6'oclock hold and that would be "competition specific".

In the end it all depends on you and the type of shooting you're doing.... and there are many, God Bless America !!

I like all my guns to shoot the same. Hit where I'm aiming regardless of the target. That way I don't have to hold differently for different sights.
And why being able to line all three up (rear/front/target) with a target that contrasts is important.
On critters it doesn't seem to matter as much.

Unless you have some other eye problems (glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.) you might investigate if you have cataracts.
Cataract surgery has helped me enormously to see better! My vision is much clearer (20-20 or 20-25), and much brighter. In fact right after the surgeries I was practically in awe. Plus I chose the simplest least expensive lenses, single focus chosen for distance. I still wear glasses, and want to to protect my eyes, but the upper part of the lenses has no correction at all and the bottom inside half circle a 2.5 diopter correction for close up, reading etc. I can use open sights now again just fine, though I still prefer aperture peep sights. Medicare covered almost all the cost.
Good luck with it!
I had retinal surgery this year. It’ll cause a cataract to form. I can already tell it’s happening. With the distance lens you can see your rear sight okay?

I had retinal surgery this year. It’ll cause a cataract to form. I can already tell it’s happening. With the distance lens you can see your rear sight okay?
Pretty much see it just okay, some a little fuzzy but clear enough to center the front sight in the rear. A few of my “Unmentionables” wear rear peep sights and more have scopes so no issues, but I don’t feel hampered with open rear sights.
Yep with developing the cataract post retinal surgery! My daughter had to have a detached retina repaired and was told she’d need surgery in a year, it wasn’t that long. She sees great now post cataract surgery with one eye really near sighted and the other for distance. Her brain straightens it all out.
I love my vision now!

Pretty much see it just okay, some a little fuzzy but clear enough to center the front sight in the rear. A few of my “Unmentionables” wear rear peep sights and more have scopes so no issues, but I don’t feel hampered with open rear sights.
Yep with developing the cataract post retinal surgery! My daughter had to have a detached retina repaired and was told she’d need surgery in a year, it wasn’t that long. She sees great now post cataract surgery with one eye really near sighted and the other for distance. Her brain straightens it all out.
I love my vision now!
Awesome thanks

Awesome thanks
Remember we are all unique and different results for different folks. There are many different lenses to choose from. I wanted the clearest vision at infinity and I would manage closer distance.
My choice was and is to choose best vision st distance and wear lenses for reading. I have worn glasses since 3rd. grade and feel naked without them so my objective was to have polycarbonate lenses protection for my eyes and wear glasses all the time but be able to see great at distance without them. My lenses have no correction in the upper part and 2.5 diopters in the lower part.
It works for me great.
Different strokes fo different folks, a good ophthalmologist can hep you decide, but remember they are paid more for multi focus lenses.

Remember we are all unique and different results for different folks. There are many different lenses to choose from. I wanted the clearest vision at infinity and I would manage closer distance.
My choice was and is to choose best vision st distance and wear lenses for reading. I have worn glasses since 3rd. grade and feel naked without them so my objective was to have polycarbonate lenses protection for my eyes and wear glasses all the time but be able to see great at distance without them. My lenses have no correction in the upper part and 2.5 diopters in the lower part.
It works for me great.
Different strokes fo different folks, a good ophthalmologist can hep you decide, but remember they are paid more for multi focus lenses.
God Bless with whatever you choose!

It works for me great.
Different strokes fo different folks, a good ophthalmologist can hep you decide, but remember they are paid more for multi
Thanks for the information. I’ve always had exceptional vision. I had a retinal detachment and had to have laser surgery. I’ll choose the lenses that give me the vision I’ve always had. If I get my medical back I’ll need it for my job. That’s why I was asking if you could see your sights. Thanks again.

Back