• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What size target do you use for 50 and 75 yard shooting? I seem to be able to see around a 5 inch black circle the best, but lookin for other ideas.

Do any of you have any pointers to clear up the sights and target? It is difficult for me to focus on both sights and the target.

I use this 3" bull that prints out on 8.5 x 11" paper. Print a master on your computer and take it to a copy store for 100 copies at 6¢ each.

For 100 yards and beyond, I use a 5" bull.

Do any of you have any pointers to clear up the sights and target? It is difficult for me to focus on both sights and the target.

Peep Sights. I can't live without them. :wink:

Well, with iron sights, you should have the front sight in focus and the target and rear sight should be fuzzy. It's impossible for your eye to focus on both at the same time. Some are able to shoot irons with both eyes open. I am only able to do that with shotguns. The theory behind it is the front sight is what gives you control, and you know where the muzzle is pointing. If you focus on the target your sights can wander because you are not actually looking at them. Shotgun shooting is much different. You focus on the target because it is moving, and your brain is "supposed" to automatically calculate where you need to point the gun. That is why having a proper fitting shotgun is so important.

Proper fit for rifles is also important, because it will relieve your body from having to make large muscular adjustments. By making those types of adjustments, you fatigue the muscles and induce shake and unsteadiness. Proper cast, length of pull and drop at heel are all very important. That's why there are so many fancy adjustable stocks for modern firearms.

Also, finding your "natural point of aim" is highly suggested for target shooting. When you aim at the target, close your eyes and then open them again. More than likely you will no longer be on target. Adjust your body position so as to correct and get back on target. You don't want to move the rifle. Scoot your butt left or right, move your off hand or trigger hand elbows forward or rearward or left or right to help bring the rifle back on target. The first time you do this it might take several adjustments. It gets easier with practice. Once you can close your eyes and open them again and the rifle stays on target you have found your natural point of aim, and your shots will be much more consistent. (Edit: That is if you are shooting from a shooting bench. If you are shooting from the prone, all adjustments should be made by moving your hips left/right/forward/rearward.)

From my experience, well built BP's should be able to group much closer than 5" at 50 yds. You might also have to adjust how much powder you use, as well as patch thickness and what lube you are using. Experiment with different patch material and thickness and lube to find what your rifle likes better.

Sometimes thicker patches work, sometimes a .495 ball will work better than a .490 ball. What patch, ball, and lube combo are you using? How much powder?

Aim small ...miss small...
I use a bingo marker to make small 3/4" dot clear out to 50 yards.....100 I use a red or black fat marker and make a + sign about 1/2" thick...

Seriously though I disagree.
We have a natural tendency to "bracket" our targets...The smaller the bracket the less room for error.
Now sure the center is always the same size.....but! the smaller your target the smaller the bracket.....and the smaller your margin of error will be.

Try it. :grin:

However, :grin: when using a 6 o`clock hold on a round bull you're using the very edge at the bottom of the bull as the sighting point and, just as the way your eye naturally finds the very center of a peep sight, the eye naturally finds the lateral center of that edge. That's a very small target. :v

Most of my rifles have a bead front sight. I hold so that I'm covering the bull with the bead. The he bead must not fully cover the bull. Your eye will automatically center the bead over the bull just as your eye will automatically center a front sight in the aperture of a rear peep.

Works good with a red bull (not the kind you drink :haha: )

Mooman76 said:
But the target is also not in focus so it's a smaller blur or a bigger blur you are aiming at.
:hmm: Why is the target not in focus?
For what it's worth, I use a 1" black circle in the center of an 8 1/2x11 sheet of printer paper all the way out to 100yrds.

I couldn't see it :idunno: at 100 I use about a 5 inch bull and will put post or bead at bottom and adjust to hit center.

For small caliber (site in at 30 yd) I use a red post it note (small) on a tree or box etc and again bead or post at bottom and adj to center. Theory; a deer heart is about 5" and a tree rat noggin about size of the post it note.

The above are the CORRECT way to do it, must be, I always have :idunno: . So do it this way :blah:

Again you missed my point about "bracketing"..

I'll try one more time.
Simply put... the larger the bull's-eye the harder it is to hit the center.

No problem though.....use whatever method makes you hit the center. :v

I use a marker to draw an inverted triangle for a target. You can make them any size you need. I draw them about 2" for up to 50 yards and 3.5-4" for 100 yards. Using the point of the triangle helps me focus with open sights much better than I can on a round target.

Oh, now it see what's going on. We hold different views (no pun intended :wink: ) because we are shooting for different objectives (another unintended pun?).

You want to hit the center of the bull. I want to shoot a small group just above the sight. In my case, the fact that the group will be at the very bottom of a large bull is of no concern.

I was taught to shoot by a police office, who was an excellent shot. He taught me that sight alignment was the most critical part of shooting. I will change sights, change angles on sights, blacken them and do whatever I can to obtain the best view of the alignment between the front and rear sight. I also experiment in target size and colors, and it varies in distances and amount of light. I put up different colors and sizes, and see which one stands out the best on a particular day.

I have won consistently with both pistol and rifle, and I have always considered sight alignment the most critical part, and that leaves the target, a little less sharp but still good enough to shoot the smallest groups.

to answer your original question!!! I use an 8", White bulls eye,on a dark background,sights show up much better.I start sighting in at 13 yds,then tune it up as I extend the range,that puts me on target out to 100yds,,never hunt that far out,gravel pit shooting is 100yds, not hunting around here.Limited due to thick woods,range and age!!.Lots of information posted here,,try to find what works for you and enjoy...No right/wrong way, just what works for you..

necchi said:
Mooman76 said:
But the target is also not in focus so it's a smaller blur or a bigger blur you are aiming at.
:hmm: Why is the target not in focus?
For what it's worth, I use a 1" black circle in the center of an 8 1/2x11 sheet of printer paper all the way out to 100yrds.

If the target is in focus you are doing(aiming) it wrong. The eye cannot focus on two objects at different distances at the same time. You should be focusing on your front sight and centering it on the target which is not in focus.

YES! I knew I forgot something. Sight alignment is key. The new stuff coming out of the Army shooting program is Body Position, Sight Alignment, Trigger Management, and Follow Through. All must be consistent shot to shot.

Try an experiment...
Take a paper plate and a 1" diameter paper circle

Tape them to the wall as if they were targets. Now get a ball point pen....Stand back at least 10 feet....Now, walk up and put a tiny dot in the middle of the paper plate in one fluid movement as if that pen were an arrow.
Make your dot and immediately turn around go back and start over aiming for the 1" circle this time.

Now take them down and measure to find the exact center of bot circles....Measure the distance your dots are from center.

The smaller circle will be closer......

You were right about the eye naturally finding the lateral edge.....but it actually is finding all the edges constantly ......That's "bracketing"

Or maybe its just my eyes..... :idunno: :haha:

Mooman76 said:
You should be focusing on your front sight and centering it on the target which is not in focus.
I disagree, I have always focused on the target whether I'm shooting at an "X" or a Deer's heart. My eyes and focus are always on where that ball will hit down range.

Back