• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tanning snake skins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's getting time to start running into moccasins all the time at my place and I want one of those skins for a couple of projects.

I searched around and found a bunch of different methods of tanning a snake hide. Enough that I don't trust any of them.

What does the most learned faculty of ML forums recommend?

Well, I'm anything but learned but I used to hunt with a taxidermist. He had a solution in a little bottle that you brushed on the flesh side of the skin, rolled it up for 3 days, and unrolled it. I just worked it a little to loosen them up. I was hunting in rattlesnake country so I sewed a pair of leather snake leggings and sewed the snake skins over that.

I tried the same search a couple of weeks back and found the same results.So i ordered some Rep-Tan from Tandy Leather. The skins of these two are in the last stage of the process as we speak.

100_6163.jpg

100_6164.jpg

100_6236.jpg

100_6234.jpg

I'll post pics when there complete. And no I don't hate snakes.( but my favorite ones are dead ones :wink: ) I'm just looking out for the Grandkids Two & Five years of age. :thumbsup:

Good thread, as the buzztails are active here, too. I have always admired the patterns and the skins make spectacular backings for selfbows. Some folks just stretch them on a board with tacks, then brush with glycerin, but I am sure there are better ways, such as using the Tandy solution. Look forward to reading and hearing more here.

Some large drug stores sell glycerin "soap", for people with certain skin conditions. Ask your pharmacist about it.

Walmart and Fred Meyers has it in pharmacy area not to far from rubbing alcohol.

You might ask at your local glass company. When I had a glass shop the maker of my glass handling suction cups recommended using glycerin on them to keep the rubber pliable. It came in a quart plastic bottle and was about $7 or $8. (that was about 20 years ago though)
JEB/Ms

i got a small bottle some years ago from the drugstore. used it for softening/sealing/seasoning the bag to my bagpipes. pipe bags are made of elkhide (unless you blow the synthetics, which don't have the same feel).

i remember seeing it in the local Walgreen's, i think.

good luck with your projects!

Of course, the real benefit to this thread is that, now that I know what to do with the hide, it might be years before I see another snake around here.

Got a snake a while back and after skinning it I stretched it on a board and salted it for about four days then brushed all the salt off with a rough rag, and then applied bear grease (boiled bear fat) to the skin and set that out in the sun for a few days to loosen it up a bit. Made the Hatband turn out real well Link

Here are the two skins after they cured out using Tandys solution. I still plan to make the shorter one into a hatband.The other one will remain on the 4 footlong 8" wide board and hang above the door.I am going to apply a coat of clear shellac thinned 50% with denatured alcohol to the one that's remaining on the board. Tandys Rep-Tan solution recommends this to bring back the color. :idunno:

100_6326.jpg

Back