• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me choose a kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little Background: I am in my 3rd year of shooting flintlocks, I have been shooting a Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .50cal and have really enjoyed it so far. However, for the last year I have been finding myself yearning for something a bit nicer and more historically correct so I have been eyeballing a couple of kits. Keeping in mind my woodworking skills are average and my metalworking and finishing skills are basicly non existant.

I have made up my mind that I want to go with a .40cal as its a bit more economical to shoot and good for smaller game. That out of the way I have been eyeing 2 kits in particular, the Track of the Wolf Dickert rifle and a Kibler SMR. I really like the aesthetics of the track of the wolf Dickert Lancaster rifle, something about it just speaks to my heart. The Kibler SMR on the other hand has about 90% of the aesthetic appeal to me and it almost looks a bit too long for my taste. I have heard nothing but good things about Jim Kibler's kits though and that alone is kind of pushing me that way as I haven't really seen much feedback online on the track of the wolf kits.

anyway, I just thought I would ask your opinions before I plunk down that kind of scratch on a rifle kit.

Chris

A little Background: I am in my 3rd year of shooting flintlocks, I have been shooting a Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .50cal and have really enjoyed it so far. However, for the last year I have been finding myself yearning for something a bit nicer and more historically correct so I have been eyeballing a couple of kits. Keeping in mind my woodworking skills are average and my metalworking and finishing skills are basicly non existant.

I have made up my mind that I want to go with a .40cal as its a bit more economical to shoot and good for smaller game. That out of the way I have been eyeing 2 kits in particular, the Track of the Wolf Dickert rifle and a Kibler SMR. I really like the aesthetics of the track of the wolf Dickert Lancaster rifle, something about it just speaks to my heart. The Kibler SMR on the other hand has about 90% of the aesthetic appeal to me and it almost looks a bit too long for my taste. I have heard nothing but good things about Jim Kibler's kits though and that alone is kind of pushing me that way as I haven't really seen much feedback online on the track of the wolf kits.

anyway, I just thought I would ask your opinions before I plunk down that kind of scratch on a rifle kit.

Chris
Kibler! I've seen a few of these kits before and after the builds. Before? Just the packaging is impressive. Every part already a working part. All one needs to do is to bring the part to whatever level of finishing you are comfortable with. I've seen people hit them with some sandpaper, stain and oil and shoot them. I've seen other people turn them into family heirlooms. You are just about guaranteed to have a very presentable working firearm when completed. The other part is, if you break something (accidents happen) you can get the part replaced! Good luck, post pics of the build, we love pictures. BTW, I have the Pedersoli Kentucky long rifle and pistol both in .45 cal flintlock. Love em both!

You will absolutely love that rifle. The 44” barrel is not too long. Share it with us when you’re done with the build. You could not have made a finer choice, and .40 caliber will make for a fantastic versatile choice useful for anything from squirrels to close in deers, and is about the best target caliber there is.

I put together a Kibler SMR 40 Cal. Absolutely love it and have been winning matches with it at rendezvous, it's deadly accurate with the Rice 1:48 barrel. I have a Woodsrunner in 50 cal on order, after watching Jim's YouTube video, I was sold.

If you want to HAVE a rifle, go with Kibler. If you want to BUILD a rifle, go with Track of the Wolf or similar kit. With Kibler you will get a great rifle that is very easy to assemble. With Track of the Wolf you will learn the skills to not need kits anymore. Track of the Wolf kit will take much more time to build and require more tools.

Well guys,

Kibler is the way I went. I put in an order for an SMR in .40 this morning. With all the good Ive heard about them I dont think I can go wrong with one!

Thanks for your input everyone!

Chris
Post pics from the crate opening to the polish. We love that stuff!

Regarding barrel length, that is the big issue I have with the Woodsrunner. Too short. The gorgeous lines of that kit just doesn't seem to fit the looks of a "long rifle.". Just me. The Colonial, to me, is perfect. (If I don't screw it up.)

Regarding barrel length, that is the big issue I have with the Woodsrunner. Too short. The gorgeous lines of that kit just doesn't seem to fit the looks of a "long rifle.". Just me. The Colonial, to me, is perfect. (If I don't screw it up.)
No right or wrong on it Mike. Get what you like the best and enjoy the process.

Well guys,

Kibler is the way I went. I put in an order for an SMR in .40 this morning. With all the good Ive heard about them I dont think I can go wrong with one!

Thanks for your input everyone!

Chris
You won’t be disappointed. You will be pleased

That was the better choice.

The Kibler is a better rifle in every important way. I currently own three SMR's, one each Colonial and Woods Runner. I have assembled eight Kiblers.

I have used parts sets from half a dozen suppliers. I am done with pantograph stocks and sloppy cast part locks. They are an exercise in frustration on the road to a second quality rifle. For instance, I spent about 6-hours installing a patch box and butplate on a Baker today. Yesterday the trigger guard took most of the day. Every step seems to fight me. That is how traditional parts set are.

Comparison? Just take the locks. Kibler's locks are Swiss watch quality CNC made perfection. The correct steels are used for all parts. All heat treatment is done right. Everyone else uses cast parts. The foundry uses whatever they have and do not care about quality. Some are pretty good, like Chambers. Many of the others we commonly use are junk.

Kibler's kits are extremely well designed and everything fits together right. Not BS or workarounds.

The OP did good and will have a great rifle.

Latest posts

Back