• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Patriot pistol first time out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a pristine T/C Patriot percussion pistol, 45 cal, after reading comments and reviews.
Yesterday was my first time trying it out. First, I shot targets at 7 yards to get a feel for the set trigger and get used to the reversed set trigger-trigger set up.
Then, I moved back to 10 yards. I really like the sights! This is the target with the shots from 10 yards. The shot furthest outside was the first. The bullseye was the next to last.
M7Aukt.jpg

I took the advice from folks on this forum and loaded it moderately lightly, first at 15 grains, then at 20. My ball starter was used as I held the gun between my legs so as not to stress the stock where failures have been known to occur.
I am very pleased with the Patriot. The grouping was limited more by my eyes with developing cataracts than with the pistol. It is difficult for me to see the centering of the front sight in the rear notch.
Ron

They are good pistols and I need to get mine out and shoot it again.
I have always preferred the firing trigger to the rear personally and never cared for standard doubles that fire from the front.
Firing from the front always makes you reach for it, disturbing grip pressure to some extent. Not so much of a big deal on a rifle but it matters on a hand gun when grip pressure has more influence on breaking the shot correctly.

M.D. said:
They are good pistols and I need to get mine out and shoot it again.
I have always preferred the firing trigger to the rear personally and never cared for standard doubles that fire from the front.
Firing from the front always makes you reach for it, disturbing grip pressure to some extent. Not so much of a big deal on a rifle but it matters on a hand gun when grip pressure has more influence on breaking the shot correctly.

Agree with this 100%. Too long a reach with conventional set triggers. TC got this one right.

As an owner of two Patriots, I have to agree with Black Jack and M.D. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Try shooting from a sand bag rest for a while until you figure out what the pistol likes for a load. You'll get the added benefit of really getting the feel of the triggers, without having to hold up the pistol to shoot. :thumbsup:

I really hadn't thought about how the firing trigger is less of a reach in this setup.

I also didn't realize until my first shot that once set, that is one, light and quick trigger! The first ball likely is somewhere up on the hillside, fired before I even had the sights on the target!
The word I would use after this one experience with the Patriot is "fun."
Ron

RonRC said:
I really hadn't thought about how the firing trigger is less of a reach in this setup.

I also didn't realize until my first shot that once set, that is one, light and quick trigger! The first ball likely is somewhere up on the hillside, fired before I even had the sights on the target!
The word I would use after this one experience with the Patriot is "fun."
Ron

I'm betting you'll use the same word to describe your next Patriot experience, too. In fact, you may just wear the word out. :haha:

Back