• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Patriot grip?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two Patriots and they are good shooting pistols but the grip is made for looking at and not really conducive to shooting good groups. Almost thinking of putting a Houge grip sleeve on but there’s many different ones and it would be a shot in the dark picking one that may somewhat fit. So looking for some help on options for a medium size left handed shooter.

Brass inlays or some checkering would add a bit of traction for you. Neither one is as difficult as it first seems. I’m not sure on the grip sleeve. Might check your local gun shop and see if they have any you could try.

I extended grip by 3/4" to get more hold room. I like the smooth grip but it did not work for me until I extended it. 3/4" piece of walnut smooth on both side. Two holes for screws countersunk to pull parts together. Do not forget to predrill into pistol grip so you don't split grip. Weldood glue on both parts and screw tight. When set up remount brass cap/tape cap with black tape and shape to fit your grip and hand. Remove tape and finish fit. Smooth up with sandpaper and do not forget to raise grain and resand several times.

Attachments

• patriot.jpg
    patriot.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 62
Patriots are desirable and expensive. Yet the stocks are poorly designed. I'd make a new stock how I wanted it and save the original stock. I would put metal rod in the grip, they are notorious for breaking. Use slab sawn sugar maple for strength.

Houge grip sleeve
On a T/C Patriot?
Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
In all these years have seldom seen anyone shoot accurately with a Patriot. It was a limited addition gun (they say). And those existing models are now very limited.
If the Patriot doesn't fit your hand for the reasonable accuracy you expect(?), then why not sell them to another that want's one for collector value?
Then use the monies to purchase a hand-gunne that you can shoot accurately?
My point is: Modifying one to shoot in it's field is kinda cheating, isn't it? Move on,,

I have two Patriot pistols, 25-30 years old. I’ve never had a complaint about them and zero problems with the stocks cracking. I believe those that have cracked stocks either over tighten the lock plate screw, or load the pistol with the grip resting on a hard surface. I do most of the loading while holding the pistol in my hand. The pistol never comes into contact during any part of the loading process. No problems at all.

I’ve seen people put skateboard tape on grips. If it works, that’s fine if it doesn’t, then peel it off. Also I have seen a few pistols that had a thin leather wrap around the grip. No damage to the stock. You can try a thin glove on your primary hand. I would just cut off the trigger index finger of the glove. Lastly, you can wrap several rubber bands around the grip to see if that fills your hand better.

As for accuracy, they are very accurate. If I do my part, the pistol does the rest.

You have lots of good options. :thumb:

To me the Patriot is much more comfortable in the hand than the CVA/Traditions Trapper ot the Lyman Plains pistol.

And l agree with DOUBLEDEUCE about the cracked stocks.

Patriot stocks where mostly broke in the loading stand from pounding a tight patch and ball in with no support in the grip. I’ve been shooting Patriot’s for many years and have won many matches. I figured a grip sleeve would go on and come off without altering the original stock. I do have rather large deck screws in the grip areas just in case.

I would possibly be interested in stippling the grip area but not real confident in the outcome.

Back