• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkens question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myra lou

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawkens cap rifle in 54cal........It is a year or so old......My earth shattering question is what is the tiny headless screw which is located on the top of the barrel flat in front of the tang there for?.......Is this so you can screw in a threaded antenna to give your cell phone more range while you are out 'playing' mountain man????......I don't have this 'feature' on my T/C Hawkens fint 50 which I bought in 1978, of course they did't have cell phones back then tho.........john.........

My Renagade never had this, (1980 ventage) however, I would guess it is for mounting some kind of T/C approved tang sight...

No[pe moosketperson, it's for the T/C solid scope base mount.
I've owned a number of these and they are quite good.
(guns and bases)

Nope moosketperson, it's for the T/C solid scope base mount.

OMG, I was wrong! :shocking: :: :haha:

That does it, I'm selling my computer and, ummm, never mind... :haha:

Wait one-second here, you said it was for the T/C solid scope base mount, that's a T/C approved sight, right?

Technically, I'm still right... :bull:

Thanks for the answers guys.......I appreciate it......If my eyes get worse I might have to go that route.....rear/front sight and target are hazy.....It gets rough when you are 20 x 3 years old......john....

Thanks for the answers guys.......I appreciate it......If my eyes get worse I might have to go that route.....rear/front sight and target are hazy.....It gets rough when you are 20 x 3 years old......john....

I hear you, I have may have to get a combo ramrod/white cane for my musket (front sight only, it helps) and hang a sign on me: Caution, blind shooter...

I have Keratitus (cornea holes with bleeding) in both eyes, my left eye is now at 20/600 vision, it sure makes driving fun... :winking: :haha:

Maybe this is why Mrs. Musketman is getting gray?

(Thanks, saw it...planning to deal with it tonight)

Actually I'm really interested in just finding an above average looking stock assembly...recently bought a .58cal GM drop in flint barrel and want to put it permanently in it's own stock...hopefully I'll get this new one on GunBroker, then resell the lock & barrel

Well Roundball...

... the suspense is killing me...lol

Were you the highest bidder for the Hawkens at Gunbroker????

? Is there just one taped hole on that T/C I would need more than one hole to mount a scope. The Lyman GPR i just got has a taped hole in the tang for the Lyman reciver sight. ? Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes there is one tapped hole on the rear portion of the barrel and there are also two holes which is tapped for a rear sight (which is in place)......so there are in reality a total of 3 (factory) tapped holes in the[url] barrel......in[/url] which to mount a Weaver style scope mount.......john........

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the T/C Weaver-style rail on my Renegade. Works like a charm. Although I have to say the rear-most filler screw was almost falling out of the hole before I started to remove it. I wonder how many more shots it would have lasted before falling to the ground undetected...? The T/C is a good product, but needs to have some of the sharp edges taken off it to enhance the guns handling qualities (so you don't have to wrap your hands around sharp corners).

All in the name of cutting all manufacturing steps possible. I noted the price didn't drop alonmg woth the cost cutting.
; BTW - are they still using 2"X6" stock blanks for the stocks? You can tell by the need for really high sights to get your cheekbone up off the comb. - Another cost-cutter that's always been there.

The only complaints I have about my 54 cap Hawkens......I had to installed the barrel wedge from right to left...... before that it sure did a number on my fingers shooting 110gr 3F pushing a 430gr. Maxi ball slug......also the top of the curved butt plate punched the top of my 'sweet spot'.....about 10 shots and I went back to round ball.....john.....

Latest posts

Back