• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkens dob help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had to check out two of my TC barrels and found that the 56 SB, is a prewarning, ser# 147XXX, capital M on the bottom flat. The 50 is marked RENEGADE, has the big warning, ser# 285XXX also has the capital M on the bottom flat between the lug and the breach. I thought the M stood for Green Mountain, am I mistaken? Tommy

you are mistaken the "M" was just one of several inspector's marks T/C used over the years & is very common on Renegades.

I'm with Clyde on this one. In fact I don't even care what condition they are in provided they shoot up to my requirements. After all, it's not like we are dealing with '03 Springfields and need to be concerned with cut off SN regarding proper heat treatment and dangerous rifles that might have a catastrophic failure when fired.

That being said, I think if you want to date each weapon you have, go for it. Whatever works for you. The main thing is that we are all involved in some aspect of the shooting sports. :)

That's one of the most famous questions of all! :haha:

TC had a factory fire years ago and all the records were destroyed. I will say that you do have a low serial number on yours. The earlier ones had a higher comb, one screw nose cap instead of two, flush wedge key plates on the forearm, the stock was inleted for the lock bolt bushing.

The barrel was prewarning with only TC's address and Caliber. No warning lettering about using BP only! The earlier ones had a cleanout screw on the bolster. Also on the bottom flat of the barrel, you could find a stamp which could be a Maltese Cross, or a Heart,Star, capital M with a circle around it.

We have a Search feature which is located at the top of the forums page's. It's a great tool to utilize for research or for looking up something specific! You will find a lot of topics on the TC's there!

As for your original question, No one really knows and any other answer would be pure speculation!

Respectfully, Cowboy
I have a Hawkins TC 50 Cal half stock that I bought from as gun store in Bellville Ontario in 1977. It was used and I mean if it was fired a half dozen times I would gilding the lily. It was almost as new. Anyways, the serial number on it is 13xxx. It has a small screw below the nipple for cleaning out. I still haven't drilled it out and replaced it with a thumbscrew for easier access. I believe I paid about $100 for it. It was factory built, shot like a dam. 90 gr fffg BP 90gr round ball .490, good to about 100 yards. Using the same powder and a sabot (pronounced Say Bow) with a 200gr Hornady XTP bullet was with 6 inches at two hundred yards and after that dropped considerably. I have taken a lot of deer in Saskatchewan with that rifle. i haven't shot it now for about 10 years.

I recently acquired a Thompson Center hawkens percussion rifle. It has a 5 digit serial number 619xx. The barrel does not say Hawkens on it just Thompson Center Arms .50 cal. Could anyone help with an approx. year this gun was made. Thanks.
I bought a TCHawken in 1974. It was new. Serial #646**

Back