• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Restoration.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it may have started life as a kit gun. TC sent those with the parts attached with phillips head wood screws so ya didn't have to ruin the good brass screws with all the sanding and polishing required. Then when everything was ready you put the good screws in.
Bubba is correct about the kits and the the Phillips head screws (a mid 1930s invention). Although TC provided brass slotted screws to finish up with, I personally like the way steel slotted screws look. And I do not believe brass screws were used that often, if at all, back in the day, though someone may prove me wrong. I have replaced all the brass screws on most of the TCs I have owned with fire blued slotted steel. Just prefer the look and find it an inexpensive visual upgrade.
1642819831458.jpeg

Bubba is correct about the kits and the the Phillips head screws (a mid 1930s invention). Although TC provided brass slotted screws to finish up with, I personally like the way steel slotted screws look. And I do not believe brass screws were used that often, if at all, back in the day, though someone may prove me wrong. I have replaced all the brass screws on most of the TCs I have owned with fire blued slotted steel. Just prefer the look and find it an inexpensive visual upgrade.
View attachment 116475

I've done this and also the opposite, used brass screws on a Renegade once.

Not many hard and fast rules for staying 1970s-1980s PC/HC. One thing with brass screws, you had better use the correct screwdriver and not over torque them. Easily damaged.

Truth. But the same could be said with TC's blued screws. I love my TC's but one of the things that always bugged me was the cheap-ass screws they used.

Truth. But the same could be said with TC's blued screws. I love my TC's but one of the things that always bugged me was the cheap-ass screws they used.
I may have called them fire blued, but in reality, I actually do a thin case hardening on them to toughen up the slots in the screw heads. At the other end of the spectrum, I made the mistake of removing a barrel under rib on a TC that the screws were so hard they crumbled into sharp shards of steel. Obviously missed the tempering process. TC had many challenges with their numerous suppliers over the years. Since that lesson, I draw those screws back.

You maybe right Bubba it could have been a kit as those where the screws in it when I started. As far as changing them I'll leave that to the near future next owner. These aren't really my style to start with as I've built several period correct Hawkens & Vincents.
Awesome refinish job! What finish/process did you use? I have a K model TC just like that I plan to refinish. Bought it last year at a pawn shop. Thanks!

Awesome refinish job! What finish/process did you use? I have a K model TC just like that I plan to refinish. Bought it last year at a pawn shop. Thanks!
Took a very aggressive zip strip to remove the varnish. I use a 75/25 mix truoil and old linseed hand rubbed in.

You maybe right Bubba it could have been a kit as those where the screws in it when I started. As far as changing them I'll leave that to the near future next owner. These aren't really my style to start with as I've built several period correct Hawkens & Vincents.
There’s a seller on eBay that has new complete screw kits for TC Hawken.. 25 bucks is what I paid I think…. I’d love to have a Vincent someday

Back