• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with replacement Ramrod - T/C Hawken .50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - hoping for a bit of guidance on replacing the ramrod on my T/C Hawken.

It was used, so no idea if it's original. But what's there is a ... fiberglass? thingymabob, 27 5/8" with one of those cleaning jag / hidden ball pullers on one end and nothing on the other.

But it's short... only about 3/16" out of the muzzle when empty, which basically makes it useless for cleaning. Not a problem at the range with a bench and range rod, but would like to do more active shooting and still be able to swab occasionally between shots.

Looking at Track of the Wolf, I see options for two lengths (28 5/8" or 30 5/8") AND two styles (one with two threaded ends, the other with two ends but one has that hidden ball puller). Both lengths would give me at least ~1 1/2" past the muzzle for cleaning. Not sure about the ball puller - never used one. Always just stuffed powder in the flash hole when I dry-balled it!

Questions:
- Is it a problem for the ramrod to extend past the muzzle? The longer length would by nearly 2", but I've seen pictures and some videos where people had rods extending past the muzzle.

- Is this hidden ball-puller thingy really worth it?

- Will the dual-ended rods... actually fit through the thimbles? The current rod has nothing on one end, which slides down easily. Worried these dual-ends wouldn't slide home!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi all - hoping for a bit of guidance on replacing the ramrod on my T/C Hawken.

It was used, so no idea if it's original. But what's there is a ... fiberglass? thingymabob, 27 5/8" with one of those cleaning jag / hidden ball pullers on one end and nothing on the other.

But it's short... only about 3/16" out of the muzzle when empty, which basically makes it useless for cleaning. Not a problem at the range with a bench and range rod, but would like to do more active shooting and still be able to swab occasionally between shots.

Looking at Track of the Wolf, I see options for two lengths (28 5/8" or 30 5/8") AND two styles (one with two threaded ends, the other with two ends but one has that hidden ball puller). Both lengths would give me at least ~1 1/2" past the muzzle for cleaning. Not sure about the ball puller - never used one. Always just stuffed powder in the flash hole when I dry-balled it!

Questions:
- Is it a problem for the ramrod to extend past the muzzle? The longer length would by nearly 2", but I've seen pictures and some videos where people had rods extending past the muzzle.

- Is this hidden ball-puller thingy really worth it?

- Will the dual-ended rods... actually fit? The current rod has nothing on one end, which slides down easily. Worried these dual-ends wouldn't slide home!

Any advice greatly appreciated!
I have extended my ramrods without issues. 2" is stretching it some in my opinion. When the patch comes out it can catch the RR. Who knows what will happen??????? The ball puller you are describing does not have a collar around it. The screw can go off center of the ball and go against the barrel bore. Not good! Forget that thingy and get a good puller that has a taper screw with brass collar and keep in your bag.
Larry

And if you just have to swab while shooting don't push the patch all the way down to the breech; it can plug the vent liner with gunk. File down the rear belts on your cleaning jag but leave the front one full diameter. You can then push a cleaning patch down and the patch will bunch up when you pull it back out. Better to "pull" out the fouling than "push" it down.

I would get the one from Track of the Wolf specifically listed as for TC Hawken rifles.

I would've thought it would be that easy! I see at least 2x styles, 2x lengths, and 2x materials - and all of them start with "Ramrod for Thompson Center Hawken!"

But appreciate all the input here! I've got enough to give one a go!

I always replace the original TC ram rods with a new one I make from a Dan Putz flawless hickory ramrod blank. The same brass end fittings are available on line. It does take a little work reducing the oversized blank to a diameter that will go in the TC ramrod pipes but the end result is a custom length ramrod that will be much better than the original.

I would've thought it would be that easy! I see at least 2x styles, 2x lengths, and 2x materials - and all of them start with "Ramrod for Thompson Center Hawken!"

But appreciate all the input here! I've got enough to give one a go!

Ramrod for TC Hawken 28 & 5/8ths inch length

Other than choosing between delrin or hickory I don't see what's so hard about that.

Back