• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Breech Plug Screw/Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOOOOOOO...... it's Murphy's Oil Soap you dolts! Been using it since 1910.... just a few drops in the kettle of hot water. Now, ideally, you do need to pick up a copper kettle from the Turkish PX just across the Iraqi border, but I suppose it isn't really as important as Murphy's Oil Soap. There are many right and wrong ways to clean a muzzleloader. If it works for you, then you have selected one of the right ways.

NOOOOOOO...... it's Murphy's Oil Soap you dolts! Been using it since 1910.... just a few drops in the kettle of hot water. Now, ideally, you do need to pick up a copper kettle from the Turkish PX just across the Iraqi border, but I suppose it isn't really as important as Murphy's Oil Soap. There are many right and wrong ways to clean a muzzleloader. If it works for you, then you have selected one of the right ways.
I must be low class. I use an old plastic bucket, the cheapest dish soap from dollar store and hose water heated in a old galvanized horse bucket on a old rusty burner somebody gave me.

The only thing expensive is the damn propane.

@Dale Allen Raby I am surprised you don't use boutique lavender bar soap handmade in a she-shed located in Napa Valley, CA and sent overnight express and sparkling bottled water from France in your Turkish kettle. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I must be low class. I use an old plastic bucket, the cheapest dish soap from dollar store and hose water heated in a old galvanized horse bucket on a old rusty burner somebody gave me.

Well, I prefer to associate with blue collar folks... they tend to be less treacherous. Hitler and Stalin both wore suits and ties, after all.

I have heated water to boiling, but for the last thirty years or so, I just use hot tap water in my bucket followed by a hot tap water rinse. After that rinse I need a towel to pick up the barrel as I am a wimp and don't like to burn my hands. I use two dry patches in the bore and it is generally dry before I can get the final patch lubed with Bore Butter.

All this "bucket of hot soapy water" stuff - color me skeptical. I have cleaned my rifles for 40 years with a cleaning rod and patches wet with tap water, followed by dry patches, followed by patches wet with oil. Bores are as good as the day I got the rifle.
Exactly. I tried all the special methods, award-winning concoctions and other wondrous ways to clean, and nothing is better than good old tap water.

@Dale Allen Raby I am surprised you don't use boutique lavender bar soap handmade in a she-shed located in Napa Valley, CA and sent overnight express and sparkling bottled water from France in your Turkish kettle. 🤣🤣🤣
Even I have limits...

Back