• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken rear sight problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The rear sight on my Hawken has developed a little side to side play on the portion holding the elevation screw (therefore the blade as well). Not the part actually attached to the barrel. Its not a lot of play, but suddenly my groups opened up, even at short range. For instance, off the bench the other day, it would make two really tight groups a foot apart, each shot grouping with the opposite one from the previous shot did- so the blade/sight is bouncing from one side to the other every time its fired.

Is there a way to tighten this up, or do I just need to try and shim it. I can provide a picture to illustrate if needed.

:v Pretty common problem with most of the supplied (cheaply made) adjustable rear sights. I have taken the slop out of several by drilling the holes in the sight base and moveable leaf to take a larger tight fitting pin, a finish nail, or a split pin works well. This is one big advantage of fixed sights, nothing is moveable. Once they are drifted and filed to sight-in the gun they stay in place. :v

I'm going to put this on hold for a minute. I just took it out and fired a few shots, pushing the sight over every time, and its still doing the same thing. The problem might be something different.

The wedge key is getting kind of loose. I'm going to go ahead and tighten it up, but could that be the problem?

Cowboy2 said:
The wedge key is getting kind of loose. I'm going to go ahead and tighten it up, but could that be the problem?

Yes, the fix;
HPIM0787.jpg

Others bend the key, then spend hours trying to remember which way the key goes in, :idunno:

I use a vise to pinch the sides in. Take the elevation screw out,don't lose the spring, raise the V part out of sides and pinch a little, when the V part is snug stop. Done mine this way. Dilly

Well, I tightened up the wedge and she went right back to her good and proper Christian ways. I appreciate everyone's time and help. Whacking it a few times with a hammer is probably the simplest gun fix I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back