• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Fire Storm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude said:
MikeC said:
With regard to the composite stock it's just innovation in materials like modern gun steel, take the metal pieces out and put them in a wood stock and you still got the same thing a flintlock.

That's true, but using that logic, you could say that a person reenacting an 18th century longhunter could wear basketball shoes and be fine. "Take away the rubber and plastic, and they're just shoes". :wink:

We've had this discussion many, many times before. Most people know the difference in a "modern muzzleloader" when they see it. If they don't, it probably doesn't matter to them anyway and that's fine. It's none of our business. Whatever works for them is fine.

The "Firestorm" is allowed to be discussed on this forum because it has a side-lock, but in my opinion, it's borderline.
Claude...You can't take one paragraph and base my whole post on that. Go back and read all of my posts. I did make a point of stating it's not PC or a replica of any kind. Also stated it's not for rondos and that for it's intended purpose (strickly a hunting rifle) it fills the bill for a hunters flintlock.

I sort of agree it's borderline because of materials and modern innovations but I don't knock it entirely. That innovation is one of the things that made this country what is.

Yes the old ways are good to hold on to and we should but innovation is always good, my famalies lively hood depends on it as I'm sure many on this board does. Hey were all discussing this on a computer. :v

MikeC said:
Yes the old ways are good to hold on to and we should but innovation is always good, my famalies lively hood depends on it as I'm sure many on this board does.

My comments were'nt aimed entirely at you. They were more general statements.

I do understand what you're saying, but we may be talking about two different things. I'm looking at this from a reenacting, historical point of view, whereas you seem to be talking about "innovation" in general. In reenacting the past, I try not to innovate.

When it comes to my daily life, I'm all for innovation and technology. It's just that this web site is not about that, so sometimes it's hard to make that leap when discussing a flintlock. :v

Claude said:
MikeC said:
Yes the old ways are good to hold on to and we should but innovation is always good, my famalies lively hood depends on it as I'm sure many on this board does.

My comments were'nt aimed entirely at you. They were more general statements.

I do understand what you're saying, but we may be talking about two different things. I'm looking at this from a reenacting, historical point of view, whereas you seem to be talking about "innovation" in general. In reenacting the past, I try not to innovate.

When it comes to my daily life, I'm all for innovation and technology. It's just that this web site is not about that, so sometimes it's hard to make that leap when discussing a flintlock. :v
I hear you and fully understand and agree. I was looking at it as strickly innovation in general and as a hunters rifle no more no less. I was also looking at it and did not mention earlier as a tool to get more people shooting flintlocks that normally wouldn't, once introduced, well you know the rest.

Enjoy the Holiday for we live in a GREAT Country :hatsoff:

roundball said:
Actually we need to get Mookie's Roost fitted up with a .54cal TC Hawken stock...he already has a caplock and believes it's time for him to step away from the dark side, into the bright sunshine of Flintlocks !
:applause:

We need to locate a good clean .54cal TC Hawken stock so he can drop-in a GM .62cal Flint
smoothbore barrel and start the journey...

:thumbsup:

MikeC said:
Halftail said:
I say if it Barks like a Dog and Looks like a Dog then it must be a Dog. :v
You need to clarify, from what I get your agreeing it is basically a flintlock and not modern. I equate modern to in-lines. I see the Firestorm as an innovative great hunting flintlock, period. No more, no less.

Sorry about the late reply,
I worked all day and then decided to go shooting.
Hard life huh?
I said
I say if it Barks like a Dog and Looks like a Dog then it must be a Dog.
Meaning if it sparks with a rock and shoots from the side then it must be acceptable as a flintlock.
But of course I'm just a member and not THE authority on what is what in tyhis forum. :v

I really did not mean to open a can of worms. I know how it is to talk tradtional VS Modern. I am not try to stir the pot. Just a little frinedly talk about this flintlock. But one thing is for sure I want a flintlock muzzleloader. To me it is a modern version of the old classic flintlock. If I want one I can get it. But I think I will hold out for a period replica of a Hawken. The T/C Hawken fits that bill. Thanks for the all the comments,Mike

Mookie's Roost said:
But I think I will hold out for a period replica of a Hawken. The T/C Hawken fits that bill. Thanks for the all the comments,Mike
Another can of worms! :wink:
Good luck buying one....Let us know on what you decide. :v

Mookie's Roost said:
But one thing is for sure I want a flintlock muzzleloader. To me it is a modern version of the old classic flintlock. If I want one I can get it. But I think I will hold out for a period replica of a Hawken. The T/C Hawken fits that bill. Thanks for the all the comments,Mike

The Firestorm is just a flintlock muzzleloader of modern manufacture. If you want to get a little closer to being traditional, then get the blued version instead of stainless.

Then the only obvious sign of modern materials will be the synthetic stock. But how is that different from all the people here that shoot synthetic-stocked CVA Bobcats?

There is also the modern innovation that you can't see on the inside, the breech plug with the cone shape to help with ignition, but how is that different from all the people that shoot GPRs with their modern coil springs?

If you like the gun, get one. It won't be PC for any period at all, but it will be a good quality flintlock rifle for paper punching and hunting if that's all you need.

You should be aware that manufacturers of mass-produced guns use the 'Hawken' name in a generic sense, applied to the basic half-stock format. But none of them are replicas of original Hawken rifles. A more correct assessment would be to call them traditionally-styled guns, but not period-correct. The T/C Hawken is a good rifle, but it's not a copy of the real thing. If you want a PC replica of a real Hawken, you'll need to forget about the mass-produced guns and save up a little more money. But if you're not concerned about having a correct replica and just want a traditionally-styled rifle for a lower price tag, the T/C Hawken and Lyman GPR are probably the top two choices in that field.

Mookie's Roost said:
But I think I will hold out for a period replica of a Hawken. The T/C Hawken fits that bill.

Mookie, I'll just ease into this as a means of sharing information...and knowing I'm as big a fan of the TC Hawken as there probably is...I have to say that it isn't a period 'replica' of an original Hawken rifle.

There are some minor differences...one is the adjustable rear sight, another is a coil spring for the lock's internal main spring, etc...so not a true replica.

Having said that and being done splitting hairs, consider yourself educated...the good news is that the TC Hawken is otherwise an excellent sidelock muzzleloader with attractive eye appeal, certainly styled close enough to immediately make one 'think of' an original half stock hawken, excellent quality, very accurate, affordably priced, with a service warranty second to none.

And gosh knows the number of deer, squirrels, turkey, etc, that have fallen to them by hunters all across the US since TC introduced them back in the 70's...so let's get your's cobbled together and make smoke !!

I am still learning alot about smoke poles. I will think real hard before I talk about things I know very little about. I got it muzzleloaders to getting hunt deer during the primtive season.I got the sidelock first. It is time to move to the next level and get a flint. I will bid my time and I will have me a T/C flinter. Who knows I my have a few T/C. I am buying the T/C 50 cal. I told you about. I may convert to a smooth flint rifle. I may do this until I can find the larger bore T/C Roundball thanks for all your help. See Ya,Mike

Jumpshot I am not afraid. I just do not want to start wars on a site. Wars seperate folks. I think this site is here to keep the tradition going. This is a great site. Thanks for all the great replies about the Fire Storm Flintlock. See Ya,Mike

Back