• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heaviest Bullets For .50 Caliber 48" Twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the heaviest bullet designs for the 48" twist fifty caliber rifles?
What have you tried? How stout a charge? How long of a barrel?

What's the heaviest bullet designs for the 48" twist fifty caliber rifles?
What have you tried? How stout a charge? How long of a barrel?
The biggest I've shot is the smaller 250gr lee real, so I have no advice. Just chiming in to ask why? I've seen the big molds, and seen the great plains bullets for sale, but never understood their use. Are you hunting dangerous game with it or long range shooting or something else?

In a tc 50 1:48 I shot the 450 grain bullet design as in LEE mold. They had to be sized down. It was hands down the most accurate conical I ever shot out of any gun! Recoil was significant. I don't recall the charge.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-515-450f
So I’m rather curious what the diameters of the various bands are. And what do you size them to? I have a Lyman Deerstalker in .50 cal and bought some cast 320 grn REALs and found with a felt wad they’d shoot fairly well at 50 yds. I haven’t been able to get them to shoot, though I question if it’s the powder, I think I used old Pyrodex I no longer have nor want. 450 grns is a real whopper!

The biggest I've shot is the smaller 250gr lee real, so I have no advice. Just chiming in to ask why? I've seen the big molds, and seen the great plains bullets for sale, but never understood their use. Are you hunting dangerous game with it or long range shooting or something else?
Well, I have a .50 cal and live in Texas where a ball is plenty for just about I’d want. However I did buy a 320 gr REAL as it offered the capability to hunt larger game in the mountains where it could be small elk or something dangerous like black bears. I also bought a used 250 grn REAL mold. It does add the advantage of working well on breezy days if you’re shooting beyond 50 yds. I’m fairly good at judging distance within ~100 yds but judging wind speed/drift is another.

So I’m rather curious what the diameters of the various bands are. And what do you size them to? I have a Lyman Deerstalker in .50 cal and bought some cast 320 grn REALs and found with a felt wad they’d shoot fairly well at 50 yds. I haven’t been able to get them to shoot, though I question if it’s the powder, I think I used old Pyrodex I no longer have nor want. 450 grns is a real whopper!
They cast at 515 and were sized to 501. I. Didn't cast or size them. I got them from a fellow muzzle loader on an old mailing list before this forum existed. So I don't know what the various bands measured.

They shot so well I was somewhat tempted to get the mold but in the end didn't want the recoil and I had good success with maxi balls.

At the time I was very much into the conical for hunting. I also tried the lee modern Minnie with the hollow base but didn't see the accuracy. I had two different weights of REAL molds in 50 cal and one weight in 54. The accuracy at 25 yards was extraordinary. But all three shot huge groups at 50. Don't know why and I didn't go much further with them. Once again, the maxi balls were accurate enough and killed stuff.

Since Colorado went to a minimum projectile weight of 210 grains and min caliber of 50 for elk I have gotten some pa conicals of 240 grains for some of the younger grandkids with 50 cals in case they want to hunt elk. I shot a few in a tc Hawken 50 barrel and they shot pretty good. Myself I'm nearly exclusively a 54 rb hunter anymore.

Definitely "something else" in the choices provided.
Muzzle loaders have been a peculiar interest, a hobby, that I've enjoyed immensely. Knowledge gained has generally come as the result of discussion and study of books over the years. It's had some expenses getting custom stuff like any hobby. Half a century ago it was me in the woods with .44 round ball and a bag of rice eating things not discussed in polite company. Like wood pecker and stock pond frogs over by Eastland. Over time that has developed into an appreciation of various types of muzzle loading rifles, pistols and the bullets made for them. It's still good fun.

When WW1 started aircraft design was basically a matter of "what looks good". There were some truly gifted designers that absorbed what they had observed and somehow intuitively processed that information into better aircraft before the mathematics were understood. That's much the same as what happened with muzzle loading technology.
I'm a throw back; I love it.

In the case of 48" twist fifty bore rifles, that's what the current manufacturers have flooded the market with. The American public constitutes the biggest and best funded small arms development laboratory that has ever existed on our planet. I'd bet someone has achieved the astounding.

Last edited:
Well, I have a .50 cal and live in Texas where a ball is plenty for just about I’d want. However I did buy a 320 gr REAL as it offered the capability to hunt larger game in the mountains where it could be small elk or something dangerous like black bears. I also bought a used 250 grn REAL mold. It does add the advantage of working well on breezy days if you’re shooting beyond 50 yds. I’m fairly good at judging distance within ~100 yds but judging wind speed/drift is another.
I really like the 250gr. I use the dry wool felt wads from track of the wolf and saturate them with lube, and push with 70gr 3F Scheutzen. I also smear lube between the rings. I've tried a few different lubes, the tightest 5 round group was with Tracks DGL lube at about 3" at 50 yards, and I blame my eyes and the chunky front sight for a lot of that. I just cast and powder coated 50 of them. I'm hoping powder coat means I can skip trying to pack the rings with lube, can't wait to try them out

I don't know about 50 cals but I've shot my TC 54 caliber New Englander with 95 grains of T7 behind 535 grain No Excuses conicals, it's a 1/48 twist and shoots them well ------ but --_ OUCH 🤕! I went down to 480's for hunting. Round balls are more fun.

Back