• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldykeman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a cross sectioned T/C breech plug. I have seen the pictures posted of drawings of a patent breech, but I was wondering what a T/C one actually looks like. How deep is the patent breech and where does the flash hole enter into it? I figure with all the years of experience here, someone is bound to have done this.
Thanks,
Larry

This is a TC caplock plug...the internals are like the "chambered breech" design in that diagram I posted.

TCHawkenCaplockPatentBreechplugCrop.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. I am somewhat surprised that the recess doesn't get clogged up during an extended shooting session (and mine certainly doesn't). Also, I have owned my Renegade for over 20 years, and have never used a breech scraper and have never had a problem with it mis or hang firing (since I have started storing it muzzle down). I imagine forcing that hot soapy water back and forth through it really flushes it out well though.
Thanks again,
Larry

But what is it that makes this breech so hard to unseat? My gunsmith tried to do it and gave up. Is there a cross pin that is ground smooth or do they put the plugs in super cold and let the reexpansion to room temperature make the threads an interference fit? I know that TC voids the warranty if you unseat the plug but they go to a lot of effort to make you keep that warranty. GC

ldykeman said:
"...I am somewhat surprised that the recess doesn't get clogged up during an extended shooting session (and mine certainly doesn't)..."
With the right powder & lube, there’s no wiping between shots so no fouling gets pushed down there in the first place.

When a powder charge gets poured in it falls down past what little fouling there is, into the patent breech”¦then when a patched ball is seated it wipes the bore walls and pushes that little bit of soft fouling down on top of the powder charge.

Take the shot, the previous shot's fouling is ejected, and the current shot coats the bore walls with one fresh coat of fouling again”¦the cycle repeats”¦no fouling buildup occurs, etc.

guncobbler said:
But what is it that makes this breech so hard to unseat? My gunsmith tried to do it and gave up. Is there a cross pin that is ground smooth or do they put the plugs in super cold and let the reexpansion to room temperature make the threads an interference fit? I know that TC voids the warranty if you unseat the plug but they go to a lot of effort to make you keep that warranty. GC
There's no crosspin...don't know how they install them but they're not made to be removed unless it's being replaced for some reason...TC does virtually everything at no charge so I personally wouldn't let anybody touch mine except TC

There is a special tool thet you put on the breech and strike with a hammer...and it works good too.

Back