• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this leading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyEye

.50 T/C Hawken
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks, I made the mistake of putting a borescope down my barrel. It's a long story but I expected a flat plain breech , I didn't know about the "patent breech" and was alarmed when I realized my ramrod didn't actually reach down to the touch hole.
Anyhow, I learned that it's a lot uglier in there that I ever counted on and wondering if I'm looking at old corrosion pits or leading or maybe both.
The cleaner darker pic is closer to the muzzle, the frosted looking one is closer to the breech. Edit: you can actually see the bored out breech plug in the frosted pic, it looks like a silver halo, that's the end of the plug/threads and inside the darker bored out section and the little dot of reflected light.

1000003225.jpg
1000003151.jpg
1000003150.jpg

I think I see bigfoot.;)

Just kidding, hard to say from pics. Just give it a good cleaning and throw the bore scope away. More sleep has been lost from bore scopes than anything in human history.

Try running a bunch of patches with polishing compound through the barrel. Likely they will come out black. Keep going with alternating patches of a good black powder bore cleaner. I really like BoreTech.

I doubt it is leading especially if it has been shot with a patched ball as the lead never touches the barrel, very old and light surface rust is my vote as well.

If it shoots accurately, keep shooting.

Leading leaves long streaks down the barrel. I’m not seeing that in your pics. The first two pics look good, especially the rifling. The bottom pic appears to be from years of build up, staining and some corrosion near the breech area. It is not uncommon.

Nothing looks ominous to accuracy IMO.

If it were me, I would drop a small glow stick light down the bore and see what it looks like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back