• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss Powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are the size designations of Swiss powder the same as for Goex? i.e, if you are shooting Goex FFFg in a .50 and FFg in a .62, would you shoot the same in Swiss with a 10-15% volumn reduction?

I just got some 2f swiss the ol " eye ball gauge"tells me it's about as fine as 3f Goex. Burns very clean . Back off your loan about 20% to start.
In my rifle 50 gr Swiss shot 2in higher than 50gr Goex. :results:

Ol vern, what calibre rifle and ball size and what range to get that 2 inch difference?

Load was 50 gr by volume, out of a 38 in 50 cal. Colerain barrel.
.490 ball with .018 pillow ticking patch patch lube Crisco.

Range 50 yd.
fired 15 shots off a bench center of group was 2 in high on target.

Rifle was sighted to be on at 50yd with Goex. :results:

Now I get to start working all new loads :thumbsup:

I bought a pound of 1.5 grain Swiss and never saw a real benifit with it over the Goex. Is this not fine enough for flinters in .50 caliber? I got just as good of results using the Goex 3f...

What do you people suggest for the grain size?

I have been using 2F Swiss in my 50's with very good results! More than that, I like it better than anything else I have ever shot. Now, with Goex, you can use 2F powder in a shotgun. I personally feel it is too hot. If you want to use Swiss in a shotgun, use 1 1/2F.

I am VERY interested in hearing any feedback or specifics on the Swiss powder. I am going to order a case and have never tried it. I have heard nothing but positive feedback so far. I have only caplocks (so far). 1-12gauge shotgun, 1-45 cal. rifle, 2-.54's and soon a .58 cal. Any thoughts on how I should mix up the granulations in my order? The .45 cal. gets shot the least of all. I want to make the switch to real BP and with what I've been paying for Pyrodex Select, the Swiss doesn't seem that expensive. I can't get BP over the counter here, so I would have to order it anyway. Thanks!
Idaho PRB :peace:

Idaho PRB the same thing is happening at my house. I am down to about three pounds of powder so it is time to get another case. The last time I bought some Swiss to try, like I posted... It shot great but I did not see all that much advantage of it over the Goex.

Now with the increase in Goex price, perhaps I had the wrong grain size of Swiss and figured I would pick up some more swiss to try when I get the next case.

I also will be interested in what the people that have shot Swiss have to say about grain size and reduction of charge size. I did notice the Swiss seemed to have a little more power then the other powders....

I really like Swiss...when I can get more I'll use nothing else, so in the meantime I use what I've got in my flinters.

Grain for grain, in my guns, ffg Swiss seems to be about equal to fffg Goex, power wise. I don't really "compensate" for the extra ooomph...I shoot the same charges in my guns that I would with Goex. 110 grains in both the .62" and .75", and 90-100 grains in the .58".

I use ffg in my .75" and .62", and have tried it in my .58", and will eventually use it in that. In these big boys the fg granulations just don't seem to work as they should in theory, not even in the .75"....so I'm not sure what would be gained by using 1f or 1.5f in a .45", .50", .54" etc. In my guns, ffg seems to work fine for everything.

I find Swiss to be very accurate and almost as clean burning as 777, and probably cleaner than Pyrodex...been a while since I've shot Pyrodex though.

By the way, just for no reason I stoked my Navy Remington up with ffg Swiss one day, and groups shrunk from 2.5" to 1.5"...!! In that situation, the load felt a bit "soft" compared to fffg Goex...but wow, the accuracy was sure there!

Rat

Hey Fellows,

I started with Swiss FFFg in my .50 cal. 65 grs. shoots like 75 grains of Goex. It seems to be a little more refined.

I never actually checked myself but several folks on another place weighed it and Goex it supposedly weighs a little heavier per volume measure than Goex. Meaning if your measure holds 75 actual grains of Goex then it'll hold maybe 80 grains of Swiss.

As I said I never did check it myself but I know that as long as I can get it that's what I'll feed my guns! It's easy to clean also seems to burn a little cleaner from what I can tell.

Chuck :redthumb:

Swiss powder is a true sporting powder, Goex is not. Swiss burns better and you can use less.I burned some in my .40 this weekend, very nice.
NITWIT :thumbsup:

Back