• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss Powder Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering powder pretty soon and I want to keep things simple. Can Swiss ffg be used in place of fffg from others brands, without losing too much efficiency? Secondly, is it worth the extra cost? Thanks

I'm thinking of ordering powder pretty soon and I want to keep things simple. Can Swiss ffg be used in place of fffg from others brands, without losing too much efficiency? Secondly, is it worth the extra cost? Thanks
Don’t know what gun(s) you plan to use, but I recommend using 3F for basically everything whether it’s Swiss or some other brand. I rarely use 2F anymore.

Swiss is an excellent powder and does give slightly more power weight for weight. Only you can decide if the extra price is worth it. I use Swiss, Schuetzen, and Goex. I don’t shoot competitions so I like them all.

Last edited:
I use Swiss 2F in my sidelocks and my White in-lines. I find it to be a great powder. I weigh my charges.
I have used 3F Swiss in place of the 2F Swiss on several occasions to see if there was much difference. I really didn't see much difference in accuracy and point of impact using the same charge of both.
If I run out of 2F Swiss, I would have no problem substituting it with the 3F Swiss.
In the end, it all boils down to which powder your individual gun likes and what charge shoots most accurately.

I don't shoot anything smaller than a 50 cal currently. I use 2F Swiss in everything. And I found it both cleaner and to have higher energy than Schutzen.

I happily pay the extra and would never go back.

I don't think there is right and wrong, just different opinions and experiences.

In my experience, Swiss powder shoots hotter and flatter than other brands. However only your rifle will be able to determine which it prefers. I have a .54 flint Hawken that likes Swiss FF and .54 Isaac Haines that likes Swiss FFF. Is it worth the extra cost?? That depends on how important improved performance is to the shooter. Swiss is the only powder I use in rifles and pistols.

Swiss is some very good quality powder. I use Swiss 3f in everything, other than an antique 13 gauge SxS, where I use 1.5 or 2f. I shoot over chronos a bunch, using various guns, and I can say with certainty that Swiss is a much more energetic and consistent powder than Goex. Swiss 2f gives significantly higher velocities than Goex 3f in every gun I have fired them in. I don't try and "Magnumize" my guns, preferring a 60 grain charge (volume) in everything from .40 to .58 caliber. As an example, in my .50's using a prb, Swiss gives 250 fps higher velocity using the same 60 grains charge. For me, it is worth the extra cost.

If you look at the major history of the forum within powder discussions, you'll find the general consensus is the use of 3F suffices across most all applications.
That said, much of it also means that there is little need for the use of 4F.
Trying to compare any 2F to 4F is a stretch with any brand.
Ok(?)
Too the point, Swiss 2F is a pretty darn hot stuff, Swiss is "sporting grade" powder. Swiss 2F will match or exceed an equal 3F charge of any other true BP available.(period). And many times to get the same results as 3f, the Swiss charge will need to be reduced.
Don't know how much your gonna order, but you can dump the need for 4F from the list, get some 3F of a brand you trust and toss in a couple cans of Swiss 2F to try. If your stuck on using 4F as flint primer,, If you want the best get Swiss Null B, (that stuff I have see on the line as an event R/O!)
(or wait til Ol`Ensford comes back)
My 2 cents,,,

Last edited:
It's worth the added cost - it shoots cleaner - it's more efficient and the members here would be more specific and recommend either the FF or FFF, if only we knew what kind of gun & caliber you'll be uzin'.

It's worth the added cost - it shoots cleaner - it's more efficient and the members here would be more specific and recommend either the FF or FFF, if only we knew what kind of gun & caliber you'll be uzin'.
Small bore revolver to 10 bore shotgun.

Latest posts

Back