• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Performance difference between Goex & Swiss powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, 6" more drop with Goex. I shoot 110 grains FF Swiss in my Goodoin barreled Hawken and its dead on at 100. The same load with Goex printed 6" lower.
That is easily explained by the repeated observations that in my .54 Hawken and in fact, all my other rifles, equal loads (volume) of Swiss get 300 to 400 fps more velocity than Goex. Speed isn't everything, but it is something. Rather smack a deer/elk/bear at 1700 fps, than at 1400 fps. I never was unhappy with Goex, but ballistically Swiss is demonstratably superior to Goex. I just ordered 10 lbs. of Swiss from Graf's, and was happy to pay a few extra bucks per pound. Right now they are also waiving the delivery and hazmat fees on orders over $150, so I "only" paid $31 per pound delivered to my door.

That is easily explained by the repeated observations that in my .54 Hawken and in fact, all my other rifles, equal loads (volume) of Swiss get 300 to 400 fps more velocity than Goex. Speed isn't everything, but it is something. Rather smack a deer/elk/bear at 1700 fps, than at 1400 fps. I never was unhappy with Goex, but ballistically Swiss is demonstratably superior to Goex. I just ordered 10 lbs. of Swiss from Graf's, and was happy to pay a few extra bucks per pound. Right now they are also waiving the delivery and hazmat fees on orders over $150, so I "only" paid $31 per pound delivered to my door.
Yes indeed. Fast and flat.

1695082665889.png

I really like Swiss in MLs, however the BPCR guys tell me it fouls really hard here in the desert southwest so I use scheutzen and what’s left of my OE stash.
Back in May I talked with the very nice lady at Powder Inc.
She said Goex plans to run OE after their four initial runs. If memory serves they are 1) military, 2) Estes, 3) pyrotechnics, 4) sporting powder.
The release keeps getting pushed back but I’m hopeful there will be OE next year… I hope!

I really like Swiss in MLs, however the BPCR guys tell me it fouls really hard here in the desert southwest so I use scheutzen and what’s left of my OE stash.
Back in May I talked with the very nice lady at Powder Inc.
She said Goex plans to run OE after their four initial runs. If memory serves they are 1) military, 2) Estes, 3) pyrotechnics, 4) sporting powder.
The release keeps getting pushed back but I’m hopeful there will be OE next year… I hope!
Ahhhhh…..yes!! The good ol’ southwest, lived there 17 years, loved and miss the desert! Remember going to a shooting range in Anthony, NM and shoot all day, literally, from 8A to 9P in the summer months and never see a single soul. Always warm and sunny. Cooler and shorter days in the winter but as good. I used to test out all kind of stuff, now I wish I had kept notes. Used to come home tired and leave my guns in the garage for a week w/o cleaning them and come back to find them dryer that what I left them. Never worried about rust much! Thunderstick Trading in Tucson always had black in stock and MLs to trade or sell. Jack’s in LA shipped black to TX w/o thinking about it twice. Bought two cases of GOEX from the Judge himself! I remember when I moved to NM I almost cried thinking in such desolate place there will be no hunting… oh boy, I was so wrong! I hunted elk, whitetail and mule deer, gemsboks in White Sands, wild hogs and antelope in the Bootheel, best white wing and Eurasian dove hunting I ever done, ducks along the Rio Grande and snow geese with no limit, band tailed pigeon, Rio Grande turkey, javalina, coyotes and jackrabbits by the dozen, bobcat, too..but I never drew a tag for ibex in the Floridas (bow only) …Most of my hunting with a Pair of Pedersolis 10 and 12 ga MLS and and old Husqvarna 52 SxS hammer gun with brass shot shells loaded with 2f GOEX and bismuth. Oh dear God I missed the beauty of the southwest. Sorry BadDad for the long rant, you hit a button in my soul!!

Swiss is faster, therefore a bit more "energetic" and fouls less. Swiss is the ticket if you're serious about shooting
Dave, you ever heard of Zloti Stok?? German and Polish servicemen I shot agains at the German American Match in Biggs Army Airfield swore by it! They said that it was as good or better than Swiss! I dunno, never seen it!! I was shooting GOEX at the time, go figure!!!

Dave, you ever heard of Zloti Stok?? German and Polish servicemen I shot agains at the German American Match in Biggs Army Airfield swore by it! They said that it was as good or better than Swiss! I dunno, never seen it!! I was shooting GOEX at the time, go figure!!!
Actually no. I've been shooting black powder for about 40 years now and I started out with Goex. Time passed and I got serious about accuracy and Goex wasn't getting it done so I switched to Old E and from there to Swiss and I won't look back.

I have only shot Swiss 3f in my .45 cal flintlock. My Goex load was 65 grains and shot same POI with 45 grains swiss. With he price difference, it came out close to the same cost per load.

Just as an FYI my Swiss from graf arrived today via Fedex. Sign and show Driver license. No fingerprinting. Three days and it was on my doorstep.

All the deliveries I have had, both California and Nevada, all they ever asked for was my signature, and one time the just dropped it at the door and ran, I only knew it was delivered because I got an e-mail it was.

I guess one just has to have a trusting face....or look really really scary....??

My swiss powder and shot order arrived today,it was sitting in seat of my old F250 feed truck just like every other grafs order,no signature necessary,if I do happen to be home and outside I always chat with delivery guys offer them a cold tea or something,little being nice goes a long way.

Update on my first 'Swiss' experience. So, briefly, I finally tried out my 2F Swiss a few days ago. You guys weren't kidding about the Swiss. Bearing in mind that my 25+ yr. old goex stash is a bit 'long of tooth', the Swiss with the same 70 gr. charge printed 10" high at 50 yds. Dropping down to 60 gr. printed 8" high. Holy Smoke's! I use those big 25 yd. musket targets with a 5" orange disc in the center that I cut from used standard targets so I can see them better. I mount those on those Real Estate sign frames. 'Works great when sighting in something from scratch and you don't know where things might be going. So, shooting from the bench my first two shots cleared the top of the target. A 6 o'clock hold on the bottom of the orange almost cut the top rail of my frame in two and finally holding a 6 o'clock on the bottom of that huge black ring put two dead center. Since for me with both my .54's having the same barrel profile with the front sights lowered for the goex I ordered new front sights for each so I can start over. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I see a bright future for Swiss and I. :cool:

Back