• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Performance difference between Goex & Swiss powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Switched over to Swiss FFFG from Goex due to supply chain.
Not sure if I'm imagining it or not but it appears Swiss powder loads affect the ball placement by 1 to 2 inches higher at 60 yards. Has anyone ever compared the performance between the two brands ?

Swiss visibly burns faster. Have to shoot through a chrony or Labradar to see the fps difference, but it’s pretty obvious from just flashing a pile. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s there. I think you’ll find Swiss burns cleaner than Goex in any event. Its worth a few bucks more IMO.

Switched over to Swiss FFFG from Goex due to supply chain.
Not sure if I'm imagining it or not but it appears Swiss powder loads affect the ball placement by 1 to 2 inches higher at 60 yards. Has anyone ever compared the performance between the two brands ?
A few months ago i did a 7 shot each test between swiss, goex, shushu and some "non commercial " powder i have here. 25 yards, bench rest, best groups were non commercial and swiss. Swiss was about 1.5/2.0" high. Goex and shushu groups would've killed a deer also but the non commercial and swiss could be covered with a 50 cent piece. Rifle is a cheap'ish Traditions kentucky kit i put together last fall.

I really like the way Swiss 3F performs in my .32 prb rifle but I won't be buying any for a good while. I have a comfortable powder stash of Goex and Graf's and a modest amount of Swiss and do not shoot much. I'm not picky about powder and will use whatever comes my way. While I quit hunting several years ago I learned that most any powder can be made to shoot with sufficient accuracy. As for velocity, it doesn't take much at all to kill a deer.

After shooting Swiss I hate
to go back to Goex. It appears most shooters are seeing similar performances results with Swiss.
I've always been loyal to Goex and hadn't experimented with other powder.
Has anyone found any brand better than Swiss ?

'Looks like an avg. price for swiss is around $31. a can. Add in shipping and hazmat and it's up to $40. per. I've always used Goex but my ancient supply is almost gone so I thought I'd switch up to Swiss but now I have a lump in my throat. I might have to build myself a .32 at this rate. Criminey !

'Looks like an avg. price for swiss is around $31. a can. Add in shipping and hazmat and it's up to $40. per. I've always used Goex but my ancient supply is almost gone so I thought I'd switch up to Swiss but now I have a lump in my throat. I might have to build myself a .32 at this rate. Criminey !
That lump changes to a grin when you see the flat trajectory afforded by the Swiss powder.

I'm shooting a .54 Rice barrel originally sighted in at 50 yards with 90 grains of 2F Goex. I started using 2F Swiss several years ago, but dropped down to 80 grains. Shots were about 3" higher with Swiss. Since my front sight was filed down to the 90g Goex load, I had no choice but to change out the front sight to a taller blade when I sighted in with Swiss. Swiss is much cleaner to shoot and, of course, has more ooomph.

I haven't done extensive testing, but Swiss and Schuetzen both seem to burn "cleaner". My 51 Navy shoots great at distance with FFF Swiss.

I've always been loyal to Goex and hadn't experimented with other powder.
Has anyone found any brand better than Swiss ?

Olde Eynsford, by Goex....is/was better than Swiss,.

Eynsford shot cleaner than Swiss, the fouling stayed softer than Swiss, and it was just as energetic. Hopefully this fine powder will return with the Goex line.

Last edited:
Back