• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss 3F or 2F in 50 Caliber flintlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I use GOEX 3-FG in all my flint and percussion muzzle loaders, I have three .54 cal. flinters, one .50 cal. flinter, two flint French Fusils de Chasse .62 cal. one percussion Hawken in .54 cal., one Colonial percussion pistol in .45 cal., and a pair of 1860 Army's, all get fed with 3-F, and all shoot great and all are accurate and clean burning.

How is it that there were supposed to be great sharpshooters in the olden days when I would speculate that black powder could have been less consistent than it is today. Just thinking out loud
I feel like they might of had different ideas of accuracy, shooting at a human size target during wartime... A hit was a hit and a human is a lot easier of a target than a 2" dot at 100 yards. Nowadays it seems like people (myself included) loose sleep if they can't get 1MOA accuracy out of every gun they shoot.

How is it that there were supposed to be great sharpshooters in the olden days when I would speculate that black powder could have been less consistent than it is today. Just thinking out loud
Oh and Paper Cartridges on YouTube just put out a pretty informative video talking about black powder and apparently they made some really nice stuff back in the days... Maybe we are the ones dealing with less than perfect components. :dunno:

experimentation, is the only way to find what works, for YOUR rifle and what performance you can accept. I have 3 muzzle loaders, and will run with 2f perform better, tighter shot groups with 3f. Yes we can ask which is better or should I use? As stated somewhere Seeing removes doubt and questions

I've only used Swiss 3F in the .32 and so far not in anything larger. I don't have much of it left and 70 (+ or - ) grains would soon eat up all of it.

I also only use Swiss 3F for shooting .50 and .58 caliber rifles. Here is a photo of my shooting a .58 Cal musket recently.
I will always use Swiss 3F powder.

IMG_1865.jpg

I have two 50 Calibers, one with a 38" Getz Swamped barrel and the other is a Kibler Colonial with Rice Barrel, I think it's 43" or close. I've been using the Swiss 3F with good results but am curious if 2F may do great. I'm close to needing to place an order so that's the reason for my question? Thank You

Only one way to find out. Buy or borrow some, shoot it and see how it works. Each rifle is an individual, other rifles may shoot well but yours might not.

DSC03033 (2).JPG
same rifle same load but powder top 2f swiss bottom 3f 44 inch gezts .50 .490 ball .020 patch w mutton tallow lube 50 yds
DSC03041.JPG
DSC03040.JPG
green mnt barrel .50 36 inch same load 3f .490 .020 pt
DSC03160.JPG

Latest posts

Back